Will there be bleeding like my period after surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Will there be bleeding like my period after surgery Will there be bleeding like my period after surgery

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:13 AM
Will there be bleeding like my period after surgery

Hello all,
This is my first post, but I'd like to say I've found so much valuable information just reading. I am having a complete hysterectomy(uterus,ovaries) I have two questions. I had a c-section with the birth of my daughter. Will the pain be just like that pain, since I am being cut in essentially the same place? Also, after childbirth, I bled for weeks. Will I bleed, just like that. I would think not, since everything is gone. thanks in advance.
marianne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:29 AM

Marianne, I also had a C-section years ago, and fear of that pain was one reason I put off asking about a hysto. Either I got tougher, or the docs got better because I had nowhere near the pain I had back then. Though the operation is basically the same, since the uterus is no longer there, that's one less thing to hurt.

As for bleeding, you may have some drainage that's light pink or yellowish for a time, but it's panty-shield light. If there is any heavy drainage or blood, you'd need to call doc.
Unread 04-10-2002, 05:34 AM

hey thanks for the info. I figured the pain would be the same, but this time I don't have a small baby to take care of. Just me, the big baby!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:19 AM
Hi Marianne

Boy, I can remember feeling the same way as you. I prayed the surgery wouldn't leave me feeling any "worse" than my c-Section almost 7 years ago. Everyone is different, but with me, the hysterectomy was soooooo much easier. I was so amazed and delighted at how I felt - I woke up in a little pain but nothing compared to the c-Section and the next day I was up and walking with no IV or catheter. With my C-Section, they had me in bed for 2.5 days and I still had the IV for the day after that.

I am 3 weeks post op today and I feel great. You have to remember to pamper yourself EVEN IF YOU FEEL GREAT. I have overdone it here and there, and your body will tell you if you have!! My belly will swell a little (nothing like the swelling I had after my c-Section tho!) and I'll get tired. Listen to your body and follow your doctor's orders and you will do great.
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:45 AM

I'm also afraid that I will get fat and frumpy while not being able to do anything. I am a very active person. I exercise like a nut, and if I can't do what I'm used to, I'll go crazy!!! I also keep telling myself that the sink full of dirty dishes can wait, the laundry can wait, etc. but I know that will drive me up a wall as well. I now, somebody else can do it, but they won't do it right....
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:00 AM

LOL. You sound like me! I'm definitely a type-A personality. Every minute of the day it seems like I have to keep reminding myself to rest. You do get to do a little - very little - after 2-3 weeks. Not much mind you - no lifting, bending, etc, so you can do "something".

I forgot to mention to you about the bleeding...I bled for almost 6 weeks after my c-Section, but knock on a really big piece of wood, absolutely no bleeding so far. I am sure I will end up with some discharge as stitches disolve, but so far, I have not bled at all. Each lady is different on that one, so no one knows going in if or how much you will bleed. Just take some panty liners or pads just in case.
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:05 AM

We also have to look forward to never having a period again!!!! Yahoo!! My daughter is just about ready to start going through puberty, and I am counting down the number of times I will get my period again. It's only two by the way....

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register