Nothing really matters - Page 3 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nothing really matters Nothing really matters

Unread 04-11-2002, 05:15 AM
Nothing really matters

I have to agree with Kathy. I put my surgery off for years because I was so afraid of it. I didn't want it because I was afraid of how it would affect me sexually and I thought maybe my DH wouldn't be attracted to me anymore. I was concerned about HRT. I was worried about gaining weight. I was afraid of the pain and boredom post op. I was afraid I would die. So I exhausted all alternatives before I finally came to the realization that my quality of life was not good, and I just couldn't take anymore. I'm 3 weeks post today and although it's been rough, I can't tell you how free I feel. Every time I think about the fact that I will have no more periods, no more pain, I'm elated. Now I wish I had done it years ago. But I wasn't ready years ago and I'm glad that I waited until the time was right for me. It's a VERY difficult decision and you need to be sure this is right for you. I don't know your story, but if your surgery is not considered and emergency, I would put it off until you're sure. The time right before my surgery was the worst for me emotionally and I'm so glad to be on the other side.

Please remember that you DO matter and your thoughts and feelings matter. I'll keep you in my prayers and please keep us posted as to how you're doing. We care!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 05:35 AM
Nothing really matters

You matter whether or not you have your uterus or your ovaries. You matter.
Unread 04-11-2002, 06:09 AM
Nothing really matters

Jeandre
I can't add to any of the wonderful advice you have gotten from all these "sisters" as they all have said it better then I could. I will be thinking of you and praying for you. You are one of us even if you decide not to go through with the surgery on friday. YOU MATTER!! Please post again and let us know how you are. Karlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 06:28 AM
Nothing really matters

Check out the board entitled "Beyond the land of hystersisters". It is testimonials from women who are 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years post-op. I wished I'd read how happy these women were before they had their surgeries. I could have used that kind of endorsement when I was first going into surgery. It might make you feel better.
Unread 04-11-2002, 09:55 AM
All I Can Say!

All I can say is AMEN! What all of you has said is so true. I hope Jeandre knows how much support she has.

Kathy.. I really liked reading your reply. What a wonderful woman, so full of wisdom!

s to all my sisters and god bless
Unread 04-11-2002, 10:28 AM
Nothing really matters

I don't have much to add except s!!

Jeandre, I am so sorry you are suffering so much. I'm sure you feel very much alone. I hope the words of these wise women help you feel less alone. Maybe you can lean on their faith and compassion at the times when you can't find any of your own. I know I did before my surgery. It helped a lot.

My very best wishes and compassion --

Melissa
Unread 04-11-2002, 05:27 PM
Nothing really matters

I, too, put off my surgery for years. When I was told the fibroids were pressing on the ureters, I knew I had to do something. I got second and third and fourth and fifth opinions and researched all the options. I found my only option was a tah. At age 50, I questioned if I'd still be a woman without my uterus and ovaries. I thought I was the only one who thought that. I talked to many women since who have had the same thoughts and who recovered physically, emotionally, and spiritually from this surgery.

It is not our reproductive capabilities that define us.

Kathy, I love your response. That is dialectical thinking to the 10th degree. We make decisions concerning our lives and others' lives and we know, as adults, that some decisions are irreversible. We do the best we can at the time.

I remember sitting on the gurney parked outside the operating room. I had terror in my heart. But, I went in that room with grace and dignity. It was MY decision to do so.

My heart and my thoughts are with you.
Eileen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register