Ok princesses I have questions....lots of them | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ok princesses I have questions....lots of them Ok princesses I have questions....lots of them

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:36 AM
Ok princesses I have questions....lots of them

So sorry girls but I am feeling stressed this morning and have some silly but nonetheless important questions.

1. How big is this swelly belly thing?? I have had a lap and was pretty puffy, I say about a size bigger than I normally am. Is it bigger than that. If so how can you help the swelling go down?

2. On average when do staples/stitches come out?

3. On average do we bleed afterward or have discharge from the surgical products used to sterilize?? How long??? How much???

4. I have a nieces baby shower 12 days post op.....I have bought and wrapped the gift. Should I even hope to go??? Or just let it go and be glad to done with the surgery.

Thanks for all the help.....I am sure I will get through this long wait somehow......

cindy
tah/possible bso on 4.23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:52 AM

1. Size of swelly belly depends on how much activity you're doing post op. If you've been bad and not resting, it'll be bigger. Someone said it was like walking on a sprained ankle. Your ankle is already swollen and walking on it will make it bigger. Normally, you'll just look well fed.

2. My staples came out a little more than a week post op, but I'd been taking arnica to heal faster.

3. You'll have some drainage but just use a panty shield. You'll probably only notice it when you wipe. Pink or yellowish is ok, red is not. It should disappear in a few days to a week.

4. No reason you can't go to the shower, just don't drive. Have someone pick you up, especially if it's more than a few min away. I had surgery on a Monday, that Saturday I went with my guy to a comedy show an hour away. The drive tired me, and the sitting tired me, but it was good to get out. 12 days post op you'll be ready to get out of the house anyway. Have fun.
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:00 AM

Hey Sindee

All I can say is GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE
Your additional questions are good too!
I also have a couple of "occasions" following my surgery...my daughter's graduation and my dad's 80th birthday...not too easy to get out of these!
Good Luck and
Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:05 AM
Kathy

My biggest events are my sons opening day of baseball which is around 4 weeks so I am not thinking that going will be a problem unless I am a very bad girl. And my VACATION in July.....if I miss it I will be a nutcase.... I am so in need of a trip right now.

Cindy
Unread 04-10-2002, 12:38 PM
Hi

I just wanted to add a little to what has already been said.
The post op bleeding is different for each of us. I had some bleeding, discharge then spotting up until 5 weeks post op. Not bad and now I never have to go there again.
I think swelly belly varies alot too. I still have some and it is more pronounced in the evening. For some women it can be completely gone in 2-3 months and for some it can take up to a year.
I was in the hospital 6 days and they took my staples out before I left.
For most of us the little outings are fine after about 2 weeks. Just try not to overdo it or sit for too long at once. Remember sitting is an activity. I always tried to spend extra time on the couch after an outing to help my body recover.
Good luck to you.
Unread 04-10-2002, 03:39 PM

Hi Cindy,
I used to live near Mentor Ohio. Born in Maple Hts and moved to Chardon Ohio at age 10. Now live in Minnesota.

Not to be different...but hey we all are. My staples came out on the day I left the hospital(I was in 3 1/2 days). They put a clear bandage over it before I left and told me it would come off anywhere from 5-14 days.

I never had any drainage(but had pads on hand in case I did)

When I overdo it my belly swells more.

And as for the baby shower. Well that depends on how you're feeling. I don't think you'll be up to a long time. "In my opinion", if you go, rest an hour before. Limit the time there(no more than two hours) and really take a long siesta when you get home. If you start feeling nauseus or cranky you need to get out of there.

Of course this means you won't know for sure you'll make the shower. But your revovery is more important, and i'm sure no one would want you to have a setback because you came and weren't up to it.
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:12 PM

The staples: my surgery was on Tuesday and DR removed the staples Thursday, then put steri strips over the incision.

I had very little discharge, wore a pantyliner for a few days.

Swelly belly: hard to say, varies with the individual. My uterus was VERY enlarged, so the swelling I've had is no more than I was before. I didn't need larger panties, but jeans were a little uncomfortable for a couple of weeks. I lived in sweats unless I went out someplace.

Go to the shower, but like Virginia said try to limit your time there. You may also still be a little "foggy".

Good luck!
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:14 PM
Thanks

For the great info everyone. I shall play the shower by the way I am feeling that day. Like I said I have the gift bought and wrapped. And my hubby will make the veggie trays and send them with my girls. I may be sad to miss it but would rather recover quickly then have any setbacks at all!!!

Now if it were just over with

cindy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register