the nurses | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:02 AM
the nurses

I'm having my surgery in 2 weeks... and I think I am a last minute lucy... I've not be able to do much to prepare because of my nerves, I guess I'm in denial about having this operation.... I still have to get slippers and a pillow and clean.....
I guess what I need to know:
what do you bring the nurses? I'd like to do this but I know dh is uncomfortable to bring in whatever I buy ...
does anyone else feel like oh my god please don't let this be my last ......... fill in the blank.... yesterday I was making potato salad and said oh Lord, please don't let this be the last time I make this... ( I usually make it in the summer but dh had a craving for it) and I began crying (again).....
I got my pre op physical yesterday and my primary was the one to give it to me... he was so cold and harsh.... I think he thought I shouldn't be getting this done... I got more compassion from the office staff and nurses... in fact its because of them that I am still going to that group... I may try and find a new primary once I'm on my feet again and thinking straight....
okay... enough from me.. thank you all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:09 AM
Hi Karah

Please try not to worry. I know, easier said than done. But take it from me and all the other Princesses when I say that this is the hardest part - waiting, and thinking with so much time on your hands. I was so scared and had those same thoughts but it was all for nothing. Everything went just fine, better than fine actually.

As for the nurses, I took individually wrapped, miniature, Hershey Kisses, Reese Cups, Hershey Bars, etc. I put them in a basket and wrote a thank you note. I set the thank you note beside the basket on the counter in my room. I was sure to tell each one that came in to help themselves and thanked them verbally as well as in the written note. They were so appreciative, and so was I of the care that I received.

Take care. My thoughts and prayers will be with you. You'll see...everything will be fine.
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:14 AM
Great idea!

Kristy,

What a great idea--a candy dish in your hospital room. Possibly you even got extra visits when someone had a sweet tooth.

I have always kept a candy dish on my desk at work and it is a little invitation to everyone to come in and have a treat and visit.

Thanks for sharing.

Karah, it sounds like you need to visit the post-op boards, to see how much better you will feel when it's over. You are in my prayers.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 08:14 AM
the nurses

I do think I received extra visits from the nurses. They just went on and on about no one had ever done that for them. I learned it here tho. Be nice to your nurses!!

The last morning I was there, I took an extra dish and filled the remaining candy and walked it along with the note to the nurses station on my daily stroll. They all just loved it. As I left that night, I looked over and they had the candy out on a table in the middle and my note was up on the bulletin board.

They were just so sweet, even before the candy, but I know it helped them to know that they were appreciated!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register