hysterectomy and thryoid | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy and thryoid hysterectomy and thryoid

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:14 AM
hysterectomy and thryoid

I have told my gyn that I will not do the hormone thing.... I'd rather try without first... I was thinking about using soy but I have a thryoid problem and am on meds. I've read that soy interfers with medicine absorbing but primary disagrees... anyway was wondering if anyone has had a hysterectomy and a thryoid problem... what did you use hormones? or soy? any help would be appreciated....
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:46 AM
Hello

Kara!

I had a hysterctomy almost 7 months ago. I got to keep my ovaries though so no HRT for that!

I had thyroid surgery this Jan and am taking medication for it. Soy is a product you should not be taking when on thyroid medication. There is lots of information about that on the internet. If you cannot find it personal message me and I will send you a link!

Why will you not do the HRT thing? I kind of think thyroid medication is like HRT.

Good luck

Katie
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:06 AM
hysterectomy and thryoid

Hi

I have Hashimoto's Disease, which is a form of chronic hypothyroidism, it's an autoimmune disorder, the body thinks the thyroid is an intruder and destroys it, like what happens to the pancreas with diabetes.

I take levoxly for that and I am also on Estrace 1mg/day. No problems. The Levoxly is also replacement hormone for what the thyroid is no longer able to produce.

Unless it is estrogen that you don't wish to take.

I didn't know about avoiding soy when taking thyroid medication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 09:29 AM
hysterectomy and thryoid

It is hashimoto's that I have and multinodular goiter (internal so it doesn't stick out) I am also on levoxyl..50 micrograms a day. the reason I am leary of hrt is that I am overweight by 80 lbs and though I am working at it, I know that being overweight increases my risk of breast cancer and so does hrt.... I guess I'll have to talk to my gyn more about it..... I don't have to go on hrt right after the operation do I??
Unread 04-10-2002, 10:09 AM
hysterectomy and thryoid

I have Graves disease( a form of hyperthyroidism & an autoimmune disease also) My thyroid was killed and now I take replacememnt thyroid medicine.

I am on premarin. When you go on estrogen replacement, you should have your thyroid levels checked a couple of times. When on estrogen you may become more hypothyroid, and therefore need to increase your medicine.

I have done this since I started HRT(last year) and have had to increase my thyroid meds. I'm doing good now.My next thyroid test is due next week and I will have it done when I go for my 2 week post-op check-up.

P.S. My doctors didn't seem to know this??? I found out in a Graves Support Group.
Unread 04-10-2002, 10:35 AM
Im so glad someone thougth to ask this

I take sythroid, i have no thryoid gland and i didnt even think to ask about mixing the two meds.. I have an appointment with my gp that takes care of my thyroid.. Glad to have all this information. Thank you all

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register