fibroids growing? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

fibroids growing? fibroids growing?

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:25 AM
fibroids growing?

I have had fibroids for 2 years. In the last three months,
according to my dr. and repeat ultrasound, they've been
growing. They are not symptomatic yet!!! My doctor is
recommending an abdominal hysterectomy, keeping my ovaries.
I am 46 years old, no children, my choice. My question is,
do fibroids almost always progress and cause problems?
Thank you for any help. This site is great, and I'm so glad
i found it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:40 AM
Good Question

Hi Fran, I had the same concerns, I have a fibroid, and I have gained weight since I found out i have it and i havent changed my diet, I weighed 135 when i went to the doc and found out i had it and i went back a month ago and i had gained 6 or 7 pounds. Still wondering if it has grew any.
I will keep an eye on this post to see if anyone answers your question.
Hope everything goes well for you.
Take care and Big 's to you.
Love,
Misty †
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:59 AM
fibroids growing?

Thank you for your reply. Are you having surgery
next week? Are you nervous? I guess this decision is
more difficult for me because i am not having problems yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 08:22 AM
fibroids growing?

My fibroids were first discovered 3 1/2 years ago. I was 43. At that time the fibroids enlarged my uterus to the size of a 6 week pregnancy. They were causing long periods and heavy bleeding. I was put on Provera 11 days a month to control the bleeding. That did control the bleeding but I had HORRIBLE PMS with it. I called it drug enhanced PMS. Terrible mood swings, it was awful.

Last fall the provera stopped doing it's job. I had a period that lasted 46 days. When I went to the DR she said it's time, and that my uterus was now the size of a 16 week pregnancy.

It is believed that they are fed by the estrogen, if you are asymptomatic and can make it to menopause, there is a belief that they may shrink on their own.

But if they are growing fast there may cause for concern (I hate to use the "C" word).

BTW - the most recent ultrasound (in December) only showed 3 fibroids "of size". The pathology report showed many, many, many fibroids, and a polyp. My uterus was also much larger than the ultrasound showed. DR said it was quite a challenge getting it out via the bikini incision. It wieghed 380grams, which I was VERY disapointed to convert and find out that was only 13 ounces!
Unread 04-10-2002, 10:44 AM
fibroids growing?

I just had a supracervical hyst...(kept ovaries and cervix). The Dr estimated my uterus to be like a 15week pregnancy...I was without symptoms except at the end when it tapped my energy level, but had the hyst because at 47 wanted to end my periods and knew the fibroids would grow. BOY! Am I glad I did it... the Dr said my uterus was WAY bigger than he expected...had trouble getting it out thru the bikini line. The entire uterus was covered when the ultra sound showed mostly 3 large areas of fibroids. He estimated the bulk of the growth was in the last 5 years. If I would have waited, I can only guess but I believe a vertical incision would have been necessary. I don't know yet what it weighed, but being thin and fit as I am, my uterus was protruding...looked like a shelf above my pubic bone. Definitely altered any look of a flat belly which is important to me. So, that is my experience...hope it helps somebody.
Unread 04-10-2002, 11:07 AM
fibroids growing?

Hi Fransteno! I am 30 years old and had my TAH and kept my ovaries on 3/19/02. I also had a fibroid that was the size of a 4-month old baby - I looked liked I was 5 or 6 months pregnant and I several smaller fibroids! They had started to grow after I had a c-section birth 4 years ago.

My fibroids gave me absolute hell because my uterus was completely plastered to my abdominal wall. However, a few of my family members and friends have fibroids and do not have any symptoms or pains at all.

My stomach has gone way down to normal except for the "flap-budge" at the incision area. Right now I weigh 120-something pounds.

May God Bless and may you make the right decision regarding your surgery!

s
Unread 04-10-2002, 11:32 AM
2nd opinions

Hi, Fran! You can go to the thread "Helpful Links" and check out the fibroid sites. Fibroids don't always grow quickly and cause problems. This is a time when a second opinion from another Gyn would be helpful. If you don't have any symptoms and the fibroids don't look suspicious, you probably have time to research and check out other options. (You can also post on the "Alternatives and Options" message board.) s to you and best wishes on your search.
Ruthie
Unread 04-11-2002, 05:50 AM
it's gotta go!

Thanks everyone for your posts. I had a second opinion
yesterday and that doctor confirmed that I should have the
hyterectomy. She explained that the fibroids are very
vascular, ie, carry a lot of blood, and if you wait too long and
they get too big, you risk losing more blood during surgery.
That was enought right there for me to decide to have the
hysterectomy. Her next question was, do you want to
keep your ovaries? There are a few small cysts on there,
but I'm 46 and she recommends removing ovaries also.
Anybody else have their ovaries removed and had to go
on hormones right away? Please share your experience.
Thanks
Unread 04-11-2002, 06:29 AM
fibroids growing?

Hi,

I am 46. Had TAH/BSO 9 weeks ago. My DR waits a couple before starting HRT. I am on Estrace 1mg/day. I haven't had any symptoms, and feeling great, actually my mood is better than it's been for ages!

Good luck
Unread 04-11-2002, 04:36 PM
fibroids growing?

I had a TAH 3 weeks ago for rapidly growing fibroids amongst other things. I am 44 and the doc managed to save one ovary, I'm really pleased he did becaused I really didn't relish the thought of HRT.

Apart from severe period pain, I would have considered myself to be fairly asymptomatic prior to the hyster. It's a case of 'you don't know what you've got until it's gone' I feel great and have so much more energy than I did prior to the op. My uterus was a 20 week size and, although I have a lot more to lose, I lost 14 lb while in hospital and have managed to keep it off!

Good luck,

Diana

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register