Downtime | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:08 AM
Downtime

Hi Sisters!

I was talking to a friend, telling her about my surgery. She couldn't believe that I would be in the hospital for 2-3 days and out of work for 4-6 weeks. She said that after she had her c-section she was up and around almost immediately. Keep in mind this women hasn't had an out of the house job for over 18 years. She said that it is just a matter of getting off your butt and doing it! Can you believe this?

In reality, how does a c-section compare with a TAH/BSO? Just wondering, since I never had either one before ;-)

14 days till lift off!

Cherilynn

:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 07:48 AM
Downtime

Hi Cherilynn. I can't answer your question, as I have not had any surgery before, but I can relate to your dilemma. I am to have a TAH in July. I work with many women and have a few friends who have recently had babies (within the last 2 years) and they are continually comparing my endo pain and upcoming surgery to their experience. I was so fed up from their insensitivity that I finally went to a therapist just to vent about it, which helped tremendously. (You know, sometimes the best listener is a total stranger!!) Insensitive is the key word here though. Women who compare this surgery to a birth experience are just that - insensitive. My gosh, at least they have something to bring home with them from the hospital! What do we have to look forward to...swelly bellies and being pooped out for many weeks. Sure it's easy for your friend to say that you can be up and around in a few days if you just get off your butt, that's what mother's do...but, from what I'm reading from the dear ladies here we should pamper and take care of ourselves so that we HEAL properly. For gosh sakes, our bodies (not to mention our DH's and our own psyche) has been through a lot before any of us end up facing a hyster, so we have a lot of mending to do. On the flip side to all of this, your friend may just be trying to be "up beat". I know that's the way my mom is right now. I think they try to be so positive that we feel as though they disregarding our fear and feelings. Perhaps your friend was really just trying to do that. At any rate, you are in good company here. Hang in there!
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:49 AM
Hello

I heard this to ! blah blah blah. I was so worried as I had both my children naturally ( okay with a lot of drugs ) anyway I asked my Dr about that . He said that C sections and Hysterctomys cannot be compared. Yes both surgeries cut through the abdomen, but then they are totally different.

From what I gather for a C-section they cut through the uterus and then take out the baby. Yes I know waaaaaaaaaaay more than that takes place. When they do your hyst they have to cut the Uterus right out. So tons of internal stitches, if you lose your cervix, they have to stitch to make your vaginal cuff !You are losing a part of your body! Lastly with a C section you are getting a baby. With a hyst you lose a part of your body with no nice cute little bundle of joy. So emotionally ( for some women certainly not all) it is really a difficult time.

Listen to your Dr not your well meaning freinds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will not be up and around running a marathon. You have one time to heal and rest. Enjoy it as it will provide you with years of good health.

I hope this helps and I have not totally blown the medical aspect of either procedure

Take care and good luck

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Loose Something!

But you do loose that cute little bundle of PADS!!!!

Debbie
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:07 AM
Downtime

Personally for me, my TAH was so much easier on me than my c-Section. I was cut veritcally both times. I think there are probably many reasons for this...this was my 2nd surgery; I am thinner now than I was then - gained 70 pounds during pregnancy; plus this time, I have been able to take care of ME. I am not a doctor, so I cannot give you any scientific or medical evidence of that - just my personal opinion. But I've also heard that some women have an easier time with a c-Section than with a hyst...it is different for each woman.

Don't get me wrong - nothing can compare to taking my baby in my arms and loving her, but at that time, I had to make myself more mobile, lifting, etc. because my husband was working and I was pretty much alone. This time, my DD is almost 7 and can help a lot. She is in school, my husband took off at first to help me, and now I am alone...all this time "I" have been able to heal whereas I didn't have the time the last go around.
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:22 AM
C-Section

Hi Cherilynn! I had a c-section 4 years ago and I was up and about quickly. I expected the TAH to be the same, but it was much more painful due to the intensive and much more painful reconstruction that occured during the operation.

There is another Pre-op thread on 4/4/02 that further sheds light on how those of us who had c-sections compare it to hysterectomies. It is titled: How Does a Hyst and C-section Compare. My thread goes into further detail as to why my TAH was so much more intensive.

If there's any advice I would give to you it would be that everyone has a different threshold for pain and recover differently to surgery. Remember the power of positive thinking!!!

Big major s to you!!!!
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Downtime

Hi- I had 4 kids in just under 5 years, the last one was a c-section. He was born on a Monday, we came home on Friday and I got the other 3 kids back on Sunday. So in less than a week I was back into the swing of things. Almost 19 years later I had a TAH/BSO for large uterus, fibroids and adeno... when the Dr. got "in there" there was a ton of scar tissue to be cleaned out. I kinda expected my recovery to be like the c-section was. I thought I could go in that morning, come home that afternoon, and be fine in a few days. Bless my pointy little head. I am a little over 2 weeks post op and I am doing much better. I see improvement each day. So... for me there is no comparison-- the c-section was much easier.

Darla
Unread 04-10-2002, 09:05 AM
Thanx

Hi Ladies:

Thank you for your input!

It's going to be soooo hard for me to sit still during recovery, I'm pretty much a work-a-holic.
I have read all your posts and will do my best to be a good princess and allow myself to rest and heal. It helps so much to keep hearing that everyone is going through similar experiences and it's not just "laziness" but a real need to rest.

Thankx

Cherilynn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register