What do I need before surgery? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do I need before surgery? What do I need before surgery?

Unread 04-10-2002, 09:26 AM
What do I need before surgery?

Hi all,

My surgery is in one week, April 17th. I know I once found a list of things you need pre surgery (pillows etc) but now that I'm ready to shop I can't find it. Can anyone direct me to it?

I'm going through alternate periods of being really afraid and a wreck... to trying to TELL myself that this is the end of a long road and it's a step toward healing.

The oddest thing is... I've been disabled with Lupus for quite some time, and I've not been able to have children. I'm 46 now and this information isn't new to me. However for some reason now that it's down to the wire for the radical hyst and endo repair surgery.... I'm feeling very sad and weepy about never having a child. I did always want one, my health didn't allow having one, and didn't allow adopting. I honestly thought I had accepted this other than the occasional strong longing to have a child. Does everyone go through these feelings? I know they don't make much sense, but I've just been allowing myself some weepy sessions since there doesn't seem to be an intellectual way to get through it.

Any help with what to have on hand, and what to take to the hospital is appreciated.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 10:01 AM

Right in the middle of hystersisters.com, Pull Down Menu FAQ, Ladies in Waiting, Carol's Hospital List. It covers most everything.

Good luck next week!

s
Unread 04-10-2002, 10:28 AM

What I bought and what I used were quite different

What I used is the pillows(I brought some cushy ones from home..comfort and the scent was nice and homey)

I didn't use the grabber thing(I wonder if they will let me return it, its still in the bag)
A nice robe. Needed this for my daily walks through the halls. And your own slippers and socks if your feet get cold.

My own toothpaste and toothbrush.
My own shampoo and conditioner...you may also want a bar of your own soap. I wish I had brought one.

If you don't like tv, a transistor radio.
I brought a book of word puzzles.
I also brought a scented candle (didn't light it) to make my room smell good.

I brought a picture of my husband and my dogs
And one that makes me blush a little, I brought a shirt of my husbands that hadn't been washed so I could hold it and smell it those first two days there.

As for the weepiness. YEp and I'm still having a few days of that. I never had children(various reasons) But its final and its out of our hands. And many of us have felt that way, whether we wanted children or not.

Good luck. What you need the most is to keep coming here for support from your sisters. It made all the difference for me. And I actually went in the morning of the surgery calm and confident...that was after weeks of alternate panic, weepiness and moments of euphoria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 10:58 AM
loss

Hi, Sue! Yes, it is very normal to be sad about losing some of our female organs, especially if it means a baby will never be born from that uterus. Even for the ones of us who have children and don't want any more, it is a loss. There is a finality to having a hyst and some women need to grieve over that for a time. If you'd like to share with other women about those feelings, "Aching Hearts" is a caring forum. I'm sure you will be feeling much healthier after your hyst and recovery, and you're right that your hyst is a positive step toward healing.

It sounds like you're getting ready to be a proper pampered princess! A couple other things I was glad I bought ahead of time were a shower chair (plastic patio chair works well), extra large panties or maternity panties, and loose clothes to wear for a few weeks--elastic waists, no-waist dresses, etc. I found I didn't want to do anything in the castle besides watch tv and a little light magazine reading! Hope the days go quickly until your castle day. s and best wishes!
Ruthie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register