Hurray I Have My Date 5/17/02 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hurray I Have My Date 5/17/02 Hurray I Have My Date 5/17/02

Unread 04-10-2002, 10:58 AM
Hurray I Have My Date 5/17/02

HI LADIES,
I THOUGHT I SENT A MESSAGE YESTERDAY BUT DON'T SEE IT SO I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE IT WENT. IF IT ENDED UP WHERE IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN SORRY...
I JUST GOT MY DATE OF 5/17/02 FROM DOC. I'M SO EXCITED TO HAVE ALL OF THIS PAIN, BLEEDING, PMS, STAINED SHEETS, ETC. OVER WITH.
I'M DEBATING WHETHER TO KEEP OVARIES OR NOT.. DOC SAYS BLOOD WORK SHOWS OVARIAN CYSTIC....BLAH BLAH BLAH THAT MAY CAUSE PROBLEMS LATER. I ALSO HAVE SEVERE PMS AND HE SAYS IF I KEEP THEM IT WILL ONLY CONTINUE. SO I HAVE QUESTIONS.....HRT???? IS IT BAD OR WHAT???WILL I GAIN WEIGHT ON THEM???(WHICH I CAN'T AFFORD TO). WILLL PMS LEAVE????WILL SEX BE GOOD?????(SORRRY) I JUST HAVE VISIONS OF MAKING THE WRONG CHOICE AND IT WILL BE TOO LATE. ALSO EIGHT DAYS AFTER SURGERY WE ARE GOING TO OUR TRAILER AT THE BEACH...GOOD IDEA OR NOT???I WON'T BE DOING ANYTHING BUT VEGGING....
BY THE WAY THIS IS A GREAT SIGHT I AM SO GLAD I FOUND IT. YOU HAVE ALL ANSWERED SO MANY QUESTIONS AND FEARS THAT I HAVE YOU ALL DESERVE A BIG THANK YOU!!!!
ALSO GOOD LUCK AND PRAYERS TO ALL THE LADIES IN WAITING.
THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS IN ADVANCE.
CHERYL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Hurray I Have My Date 5/17/02

Dear Cheryl,
Congratulations on getting your date at the castle. To answer some of your questions. As far as keeping your ovaries or not, well alot depends on your doctor's opinion, your age and the health of your ovaries at present. I am 48, and toyed with the idea of keeping them, but decided not to since I am cystic and actually do not need them anymore! Chances are, I will go into menopause within the next few years,so I will just be a little ahead of the game. The thing that made me decide to toss them with the hysterectomy is that a friend of my sister-in-law had a hyst. and kept her ovaries, but 5 years later is now diagnosed with ovarian cancer. My husband is an MD (not an ob/gyn though) and he has always advocated for removal of the ovaries to prevent future surgeries, or God forbit cancer. As for the hormones (HRT), I am an advocater of taking them, unless you have a history of breast cancer in your family. In any event- you need to talk to your doctor. My opinion is that the HRT can keep a woman younger, longer. As for the sex, I tell you I have the same concern, but I have read alot and the concensus is that if you enjoyed it beforehand, you will enjoy it afterwards! I will keep you posted on this one as my surgery date is 4/22!
Good Luck To You!

Sharon
Unread 04-10-2002, 11:57 AM
Hi Cheryl

Congradulation on your surgery date.
Yes you have much too look forward to. A whole new life free of pain and bleeding and PMS etc. It's a good thing.
I think you would be fine to re-coup at the beach trailer it sounds wonderful. I hope the drive is not too far or too bumpy for you though. You might want to run this by your doctor just to be on the safe side.
There is no single answer on ovaries, HRT etc. However, in younger women and women who have healthy ovaries it is a good idea to keep them. As we approach the menopausal years it becomes more questionable how much long term benefit we might get from them.
It sounds like your doctor has concerns about the health and benefit to you of keeping your ovaries. Please discuss this with him again until you are comfortable with the choices you and he are making together. This is your body after all.
There are many choices available today in terms of HRT. Not all women have the same reactions to the same hormones. You will not necessarily have problems with them. A good place to start learning is the Hormone Jungle.
http://www.hormonejungle.com/
And last but not least s-e-x-. After the healing time is over, most of the posts I have read here suggest that sex is as good or better than before.
Good luck.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register