Pressure To Recover | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pressure To Recover Pressure To Recover

Unread 04-10-2002, 03:08 PM
Pressure To Recover

Dear Sisters,
I have 8 more days until I go to the castle. The thing that Im finding that is really frustrating me is that people (especially women) seem to be pressuring me to hurry up and get well.
Im very involved in church and other activities and Im hearing things like, ' Miss So and So was back to work full time in 2 weeks'. Its almost like a competition to see who can recover the fastest and get back to business. People have asked me to commit to projects in May and when I say 'Im not sure I should commit to anything right now' I get 'Oh, you will be fine by then we will count you in'! Am I just being a sensitive pre-op princess? Have any of my sisters out there experienced this kind of attitude and pressure? I must say it kind of hurts my feelings that people seem to be more interested in when Im going to be recovered then they are concerned about 'me'! :confuse:

Lady In Waiting,
Shay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Pressure To Recover

Geez!!! Some people can be so pushy with other people's bodies and lives. NO YOU ARE NOT BEING OVERLY SENSITIVE.

My sisiter-in-law wanted to know if I would be down for the family gathering on April 27th. I told her I would not be up to a 3 1/2 hour drive at that time. Much less all the kids and activity.

I think you should wait till at leat 2 weeks after the surgery before commiting to anything. And I mean committing to things down the road, not within the first month. You don't know how long the recvovery is going to take. None of us do.

Stick to your guns! You have to take care of yourself. After all if you have a setback are they going to bethere to take care of you and your family?
Unread 04-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Pressure To Recover

You take whatever time YOU need to recover! Everyone's surgery and recovery time is different. I told everyone that I would not make ANY committments for the first 8 weeks after surgery. I am now 8 1/2 weeks post-op and just beginning to say "yes" to projects and committments. I am glad I waited. I still get tired and have swelling if I do too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 03:23 PM
A Gift

You are NOT being sensitive...my surgery was 6 days ago...and even though I am more mobile than I thought I would be...and I am also a person who always pushes themselves physically as I am a runner and fitness buff.......I am NOT going to push myself. Take pride in taking care of yourself and gift yourself with the most precious gift of time....time to do whatever you want ! You deserve it.......
Unread 04-10-2002, 04:08 PM
Pressure To Recover

Hi Shea,
I feel the same way, and I'm getting pretty sick of hearing that I'll be fine. I'm sure physically we can perform certain tasks in a few weeks. This is major surgury on our stomach, all those muscles need time to heal, and I promise to give my body all the time it wants. Please don't feel pressured by others to get right back in the swing of things, they are not going through this.. and if they don't understand, tough!
Good luck, I'm going in the next day
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:13 PM
Thanks

Thanks all my sisters for encouraging me to learn how to 'Just Say No'!
I remember hearing that Dr. Phil guy on Oprah say, 'We train people how to treat us'........well, I think Im about to retrain some folks about how a 'REAL' princess should be treated !
Love and Prayers to all my sisters!!

Shay

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register