about this catheter thing? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

about this catheter thing? about this catheter thing?

Unread 04-10-2002, 04:14 PM
about this catheter thing?

I was just wondering about the catheter they will put in during the hysterectomy. is it put in after i am already asleep? how long does it stay in for? Does it hurt a lot? I remember having a catherer after my c-section but i don't rember if it hurt that bad, i kind of blocked that pain out of my head.I remember a woman on this site saying that her catheter was like a bulb like one and that it hurt pretty bad. I am more scared of the catheter than of the surgery itself! anyone got any answers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 04:36 PM

My catheter was put in place after I was under anesthesia. I think I had the bulb type also - because I could FEEL the ball as the nurse pulled it out. A little pain for a second. Luckily - you will be on pain pills or your morphine pump already so that does help diminish any pain. Mine was taken out the second day in the a.m.
Unread 04-10-2002, 04:38 PM

Mine was inserted after I was asleep and left in for 24 hours. I had the bulb like thing on the end too....but it was like a balloon that they deflated before they removed it. Removal was painless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 04:45 PM

Hi there,

My catheter was put in while I was in the operating room. I was pretty much unaware of it the entire time it was in, but I was still happy to have it removed.

My surgery was on a Tuesday evening, and the catheter was removed Thursday morning. I didn't feel any pain when it was taken out, although the nurse warned me that it would feel like a little tug and it did. I'd compare it to what it felt like removing a tampon.

Best wishes!
Unread 04-10-2002, 04:46 PM

The whole catheter issue depends on the hospital and more so on the way your surgery is carried out. My surgery is on the 7th of May is is going to be totally laparscopic. I will onlt have a chatheter while I'm in the operating room. In and out while I'm asleep, no problem. I did have one when my son was born by c-section and it isn't a big deal.
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:40 PM

Until last week the only times I had been catheterized was when i was under the anasthesia already. This last week I had to go through a catheterization for some bladder testing ( to see if it needs to be tucked/suspended whatever!) . I was completely freaked about this as I was to be awake. It really was no worse than using a tampon. I was amazed and relieved. The other times I had one, there was a sort of pull that pinched a bit when it was removed.. but all in all, I would have to say that i think you can relax if you have to have one, it really is not as invasive as I was afraid it would be. And i think that if you get the catheter will depend on your doctor, how he/she works, and the hospital... you may be a lucky one and not even need it..

cathy/TAH/BSO date not yet rescheduled..
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:11 PM
freaked out too!

I was also more afraid of the catheter than the surgery itself. Anyway, it wasn't bad at all. Like the previous posts stated, you will probably be pretty sedated so pain when they take it out will more than likely be nil. One thing the nurse had me do though when she took it out was take a deep breath and as she pulled it out she had me exhale. I don't really know if it was the breathing itself or just an exercise to take my mind off what she was doing. Whatever it was, it certainly did the trick! Anyway, good luck to you and God bless.
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:45 PM
I removed my catherter myself

ok I got mine while I was asleep in the O,R.

when they removed it I was awake it did not hurt

when they put it back in it did not hurt and I was awake

I wore it for 4 days then I had to remove it myself before I went to my doctor for a test it was no big deal it did not hurt

I hope this helps
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:49 PM
Catheter

They put mine in while I was in surgery. After surgery my husband said that I complained about having to pee because that is what it feels like when it is in. I do not remember because of the Morphine. If you can pee the next day they will take it out for good. If you can not pee you will have to take it home for five days. I prayed to God that I could pee and Praise the Lord they took it out. I do not remember it hurting but I just was afraid of it hurting or dragging it around for five days. After I got home I had to urinate every ten minutes but later it tapered off. I took Ibuprofen(Motrin) for the swelling and it helped a lot. I tapered off the Mepreghan because it caused nightmares. I had a drainage tube that was taken out before I went home. It kind of hurt when that came out but they were fast and it was over. The staples hardly hurt at all. Like a baby ant bite. I am a baby and If I can do I know you can too. The worst part is the waiting. The surgery will go by and you will be doped up through the first couple of days. Let me know. Prayers to you and yours.
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:54 PM

I had to have the catheter for 10 days due to bladder repair. It was a big inconvenience but was not painful at all. When they removed it I did not feel it at all. Try not to stress about it. You will do great!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register