hmmmm how to occupy my time while in the hospital? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hmmmm how to occupy my time while in the hospital? hmmmm how to occupy my time while in the hospital?

Unread 04-10-2002, 04:51 PM
hmmmm how to occupy my time while in the hospital?

I was just wondering about how to occupy my time while i am in the hospital after my tah. anybody have any ideas? I know the first day i will probably be sleeping but after that i have no idea. i mean one can only read so many magazine articles. I don't think i am allowed my lap top in the hospital either, help!My husband isn't allowed to stay the night there either(military hospital rules).Well if anyone has any ideas please let me know. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:06 PM

Hi Heather,

I spent five nights in the hospital and did very little. Believe it or not, I was never really bored, though! I know that sounds strange, but I guess I was just kept really busy... resting!

My surgery was in the evening and the next day was not a very good one for me. After that, though, I pretty much got into a pattern of getting up into a chair for a little while to have my breakfast, then showering, resting, having lunch, resting some more, and then dinner and more resting until I went to sleep for the night. Between my naps, chatting with my husband and my parents, and watching a little TV, that was enough! My husband and I played a hand or two of Crazy-8's (a good mindless game) and started a game of chess, but my concentration just wasn't there so we quit that. I had no interest in reading - it seemed like too much of an effort. Oh, and I forgot to mention my frequent strolls through the hospital corridors!!

It will be interesting to see how others reply to your message!

Best wishes!
Unread 04-10-2002, 05:14 PM

I was in on tues. and out on thursday. I took stuff to read but it never got out of my bag. Silly me, I even took my makeup! Didn't care. I slept 99.9% of the time. When I was awake it was because the nurses were checking vitals,ect or I was taking baby steps in the hallway. Make sure you drink plenty of water(not thru a straw,to much air) and walk when they will let you. I think you will be surprised at how much you sleep. When do you go to the castle? How ya doing now? I am 3 months post-op and feeling good. This web site has tons of information, so read,read, read!!! At home make sure you have tons of pillows for under your legs and to plop all around. Karlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:23 PM

Karlene, in answer to your question about how i am feeling now is i am hanging in there! I have long awaited this surgery and praying it takes away all the pain.I have severe endo.(all over my tubes, ovaries,uterus even my liver believe it or not! I am still recovering from my lap. which was just last week(the 4th) and i go in for the hysterectomy on the 25th of this month, yah! I am so glad i found this site it is so nice knowing i am not alone in this anymore. My husband is wonderful and he completely dotes on me but even though i know he feels for me. He can't ever really know what i am going through, right. thanks for the support. god bless.
Unread 04-10-2002, 05:42 PM

I also went in on Tuesday and home Thursday. I slept most of the time. I had the tv on 24 hours but never saw an entire show, it was more for the sound. I didn't have enough concentration to read anything.

I took as little to the hospital as possible, and I still felt like I took too much.

I am 9 weeks post and feeling great!
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:11 PM

I had my TAH on Thursday morning and went home Saturday around noon. I also took a book and a puzzle book, but never got them out of my bag. I pretty much slept or dozed 95% of the time. I had the TV on some, but dozed in and out and couldn't even remember what was on. I woke up when the nurses came in to take vitals and bring food or drink, but had little concept of time or time passing even though there was a big clock on the wall opposite my bed. I wouldn't worry too much about activities for the hospital. Maybe have a small bag with a book or other activities ready at home for your DH to bring in if you find that you want it, but I doubt you will. Even the first 4-5 days after I got home my brain wasn't up to anything more challenging than changing channels on the TV. By about the second week I was up to a book a day though.
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:15 PM

Hi!
I had a TAH also,and was planning on doing a lot of reading. Well, I opened one magazine, and read the same 4 pages over and over! For 3 days! So much for that. Must have been the drugs!
Don't get too ambitious. Plan on that baby-step walking,passing gas, sleeping, and getting lots of liquids.
(It's not a great time to be a "Type A" personality)

Your only "laptop" should be a pillow!

PS- I had excellent care at my military hospital-no shortage of nursing staff!
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:26 PM

I'm another one who thought I was going to do sooo much during my castle stay. Like the other sisters I spent my time dozing, wandering the ward, passing gas etc.

Don't get your expectations up - it's now been three weeks for me and I feel great but know I must still be fairly sensible.

Take care,
Good luck with your surgery,

Diana
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:45 PM

I was in on a Monday for TAH/BSO and out on Thursday. I brought a book and only managed about 15 pages (I usually zoom through a book in a day) -- between sleeping, dozing, napping, resting, peeing, taking medication, entertaining visitors and occasional strolls through the hallway you might feel up to reading for about 5 minutes a day! I did bring a discman cd player and headphones but I think I slept with it more than listened to it (good for drowning out hospital noise).

I'd leave the laptop at home -- the only thing you'll want on your lap is maybe a pillow.

good luck!

Leslie
Unread 04-10-2002, 09:54 PM

Hi Heather, I became hysterical when I read the title to your post I was another one who brought all kinds of stuff to do in the hospital and none of it ever left my bag. I was too busy trying to pee! (Never did get that right, had to go home with a catheter.) Also I found I had zero attention span for the first several days post op; I bet other es have had the same experience. Most of us end up devoting about 90% of our attention to dealing with various bodily functions and then suddenly it's time to go home! By all means, bring a book or something small to do if it makes you feel more prepared, but don't be surprised if you don't feel like looking at it after your surgery. Hope it goes well!
s,
- Linda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register