what to take | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-10-2002, 05:43 PM
what to take

Hi everyone,

This is my second day here, so I am starting from no where, You guys have really gave me a lot of help. My husband can't be here(military) so his mother is coming, to keep the kids 3. I'm not sure what to take with me to the hospital, or what I will need when I get home. Everyone says oh you will be ok or it is different for everyone. I just order the hystersister book. I don't think it will be here before I go 4/20/02. Any feed back would be helpful. Thanks a lot oh by the way i'm a LAVH TAH BSO because of severe PMDD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:03 PM
what to take

There is a list on the home page, scroll down to the bottom to "Ladies in Waiting", but there is a lot on that list that is really unncessary.

All I took was:
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Shampoo, cream rinse, moisturizer
A brush
Slippers
Lip balm (moisturizing formula) try to make sure it has no petroleum in it as it will react with oxygen should you need it.
Don’t bother with books, etc. You won’t feel like reading and it’s just something you’ll have to carry home.

Some ladies take their own nighties, but for such a short period of time I didn't bother. I figured I'd let the hospital do the laundry! I went in on Tuesday and came home Thursday.

Home:
Jell-O
Gatorade
Lots of juice
Yogurt
A shower stool
Thank you cards
a body pillow
heating pad
Popsicles to stave off the thirst.
Have plenty of no-preparation foods on hand, like fruit, soup, cereal, snack bars, etc.

Comfortable clothes to wear. Men’s pajamas are very comfortable, because the large, drawstring waists come up well above the incision, and the button-up tops didn’t have to go over the head. You may want to have large, “granny-panties” in a size or two large than you normally wear (you will be swollen and sore!).
If you’re going to be alone, make sure the phone is where you can reach it at ALL times!
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:09 PM
what to take

Hi Dorla.. Just wanted to let you know that I ordered my HysterSisters book last week and it was here in 2 days!

How'd they do that?! ; )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:38 PM
Dorla

My surgery is planned for the 19th-
I plan to take:
bigger panties
toothbrush,toothpaste,
hairbrush,
gown (just in case i want to change)
house coat
pillow
room deodorizer
house shoes
very little makeup (I doubt I will care but just in case)
and something Loose to wear home
Pads

Thats all I plan to take- I most likely will not be in but for two days (unless a problem) so i don't want o take but the minimum and in reality this still maybe too much...I guess I will find out soon.
Good Luck
runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:03 PM
what to take

Earplugs helped me when there was to much noise in the hospital to get any sleep. I had an elderly roomate that screamed a lot and then when I got moved the visitors from my roomate kept me awake so I was glad to have ear plugs.
Unread 04-14-2002, 05:15 PM
what to take

I've copied and pasted from one of my earlier posts. Hope it helps!

THINGS I DID USE:
- TUMMY PILLOW!!
- backscratcher
- lip balm
- slippers
- my own night shirt/sleepwear
- oversize cotton 'unders' (comfy panties)
- pads (also used to protect my panties from the incision site drainage)
- toothbrush and toothpaste
- shampoo and conditioner
- comb/brush
- facial cleanser (I don't use soap on my face)
- Q-tips (to swab my ears after the shower)
- deoderant/antiperspirant (for after shower)
- lightweight cotton robe
- lotion
- ponytail holder (something to keep your hair from bugging you)
- some gals have also suggested bringing a PHONE CALLING CARD – great idea!

things I did not use:
- mirror (I did not care what I looked like!)
- socks (because I brought slippers)
- book to read (never felt like reading -- I was asleep every 20 minutes or so anyway)
- game to play (didn't feel like playing - TV kept me occupied between snoozes)
- change of clothes (I wore the same clothes leaving the castle as I wore when I checked in -- I just did not worry about the fashion police at that point)

...and I can't think of anything I should have brought but didn't...

NO VALUABLES!!!

Best wishes for you as you approach the castle!
Unread 04-14-2002, 05:39 PM
what to take

Hi...I am going to the castle on Tuesday and just packed my bag today...here is what is in it:

-Light weight bath robe
-slide on slippers
-undies (having a vaginal hyst, so don't think I'll need bigger ones)
-socks
-tooth brush/tooth paste
-travel size shampoo/conditioner
-lotion
-chapstick
-change of clothes (wind pants and large t-shirt)
-lots of magazines & a book (just incase)
-son's portable CD Player (block out the noise)
-chapstick

My insurance only approved one night unless complications, so don't think there will be much time to use a lot of the stuff, but better prepared than not!

There is a thread on what to bring to the hospital under the drop down boxes, that is where I got my ideas!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register