Surgery "recommended"/has anyone had these symptoms? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery "recommended"/has anyone had these symptoms? Surgery "recommended"/has anyone had these symptoms?

Unread 04-10-2002, 05:49 PM
Surgery "recommended"/has anyone had these symptoms?

Hi everyone out there! I'm new to the site, but I'm trying to look for some answers and support.

My story is basically this(and it's long and probably boring, sorry):
I have suffered for years from depression and have been diagnosed as manic-depressive. I suffered from post-partum pyschosis after my first daughter and w/ post-partum depression after my second daughter. The type of depression I suffer from is directly related to and exacerbated by my periods. If this wasn't bad enough, I have started having migraine headaches that are also tied to "hormones".

My periods are long (11-13 days) and heavy( I go through 6-9 Ultra OBs/day). I also have severe cramps while ovulating (the bending over, feeling like I'm going to pass out) and while I have my period. These problems have been going on since the birth of #2, four and a half years ago.

Due to all of this, my gyn has "highly recommended" this operation. My husband has no real problems with it, but is concerned that my problems may not go away or be helped by this. I also have my reservations because I feel that this is such a permanent "solution", especially if it doesn't work.

My main questions are: Has anyone suffered from these types of problems and did this procedure help?

Any advise/suggestions will be greatly appreciated especially since I am SO confused. I want to get better, but I feel like I'm grasping at straws.

Thanks,

Charlotte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 06:02 PM

Hi Charlotte & welcome to HysterSisters!

I haven't had the depression problems you have but can relate to the cramps.

Maybe it would help you decide a little easier if you got a 2nd or maybe even a 3rd opinion from other gyns. I tend to agree with dh if you keep your ovaries, you could still have the problems if it's all hormonal related. Also, if you have the ovaries removed & have to go on hrt, that's still hormones. Does your dr feel he can adjust the hrt so that you won't have the depression?

I wish we had a magic answer for you, but really all we can do is offer you support with whatever decision you make.

s
Pam
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:11 PM

Pam,

Have talked to 2 gyns, plus I REALLY trust my primary gyn. (She literally saved my life.)

I took HRT after 2nd daughter and felt so much better. Gyn and pysch think it's due to constant level of hormone being released.

What kind of things/symptons occur after hyst w/ removal of ovaries? I'm only 33 and worried about becoming old and fat (hopefully these are just old wives tales) overnight. But, my quality of life is so little now, that old and fat sounds better!

Thanks for any advise!

Charlotte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 08:17 PM

Hi and welcome....I can relate to the heavy periods and severe cramping...all my friends think I am strange because I have always been able to tell when I ovulate due to the pain....I am really looking forward to the surgery in hopes of no more pain and bleeding...as far as depression, I can share with you that my husbands ex (which is actually a friend of mine now--I know a little weird!) is a manic-depressant and had severe endo and a hyst at 26 years old. She kept one ovary, which quit working soon after the hyst and was put on premarin...she said it was the best choice she ever made and with the hrt and medication to control her moods, she does just fine. Hope this helps a little, not sure if I answered the question though!
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:33 PM

(((((Charlotte)))))))

If two dr's are advising this, then maybe it will work for you. You may want to check out some of the posts on the Hormone Jungle about things to expect after having the ovaries removed.

Good luck to you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register