Weight Issue | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:04 PM
Weight Issue

Hello Ladies. I'm a little embarassed to ask this, but I've learned in this situation to just go forward and ask!! So, here it is...are any of you overweight? How did this affect your recovery? Did it make a difference in the hospital? I have been overweight my entire life and a year prior to endo wrecking my life I had begun a new life. Had discovered the benefit of exercise and had lost 60 pounds, but because of the pain I live with have not been exercising for many months. I am so hopeful that once I have this surgery behind me that I will be able to resume my pursuit to complete health. I miss working out. Any advice or thoughts woud be most appreciated. Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 07:26 PM
Weight Issue

Hi...I guess we are right on track statiscally...seems like many sisters have similar questions and concerns. They do fine with the surgery, and we even have a forum to help you address your health & weight issues post op when you are ready...please visit Hysteritaville as well as the BEST forum there.

You'll find some great support for healthier habits if you want to give that a try. Until then, I know that many women "of size" get through this just fine. Discuss your concerns with your doctor; s/he should be able to talk about how your weight may effect your particular situation.

Karen
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:50 PM
Weight Issue

I am so glad you asked the question about weight. I am overweight and wondering the same thing about my recovery. I am going to have to loose this weight after surgery for sure.

hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 08:03 PM
Weight Issue

Hi, Ladies,

I'm a woman of size. I had a TVH/BSO (my doctor preferred to avoid an abdominal incision because of my weight.) I had an uncomplicated surgery and recovery, and now, ten months post-op, I feel great.

Several women have posted here about being overweight and having a hysterectomy. The one word of caution I'd like to offer is about the abdominal incision. Women who are overweight sometimes heal a little more slowly than skinnier women. If your doctor uses staples with abdominal incisions, you might want to ask her/him to wait a few extra days, before removing the staples. We need those staples in a few days longer than our skinnier sisters, and not all doctors are aware of this.

Good luck with your surgeries.

Sending healing hus,
Helen
Unread 04-11-2002, 06:37 AM
another chubbette here

I am of the "amply endowed" group - I had a TAH/BSO on Jan 28. I had absolutley no problem with healing - I was cleared of all restrictions at 5 weeks. As long as you follow dr's orders, take care of yourself, you should do fine.
Unread 04-11-2002, 06:45 AM
Weight Issue

I am also one of the larger population. I had an abdominal hyst and had absolutely no problem with healing or taking care of the incision.

I had my surgery on a Tuesday, staples removed two days later, on Thursday, then steri strips applied.
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:15 AM
No Problem for me

I am also a large women. I am 6 weeks today from a TAH/BSO. The only problem with my incision was I had a cough after surgery and opened the incision from one stitch. It healed very nicely. I did request no staples, because I had them before and found them very uncomfortable. My recovery is going great.
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:27 AM
Weight Issue

Another larger lady here. At 210lb, I'm considered overweight, but my doc cleared me for normal activities at 5 weeks. I did join a gym and found I have to back off exercising until I get used to it, but other than that I have no problems unless I overdo it. I'm not totaly 'out of shape', I was walking 1/4 mile, then taking a flight of 25 stairs a day to my job every weekday until January and not getting out of breath, but I wasn't exercising aside from that.
Unread 04-11-2002, 10:32 AM
Weight Issue

I am 80 lbs overweight and this was a concern to me also. My surgery is this month on the 23rd. I have had 3 sections two of them where at a higher weight than I am now and I had no trouble healing from those. I think a tah/bso like I am having is more difficult but only in that the recovery time will be longer. I intend to heed the sisters advice and drink lots of water, eat lightly and walk until my body says, slow down. I can also relate to the not being able to workout due to the pain. I have been exercising everyday for the last 3 years give or take a day or two when I've got a cold or something. this last month I have had an infection in my ear and was on alot of antibotics (cipro) and just now am getting back into it... it was soooo hard not being able to workout....hang in there we will get back onto the road to good health soon.
best wishes,
kara
Unread 04-11-2002, 11:37 AM
Weight Issue

I was overweight before my surgery and hadn't worked out in well over a year. I was worried about my recovery as a result. But I did fine and have been dieting and exercising since 3 and a half months post. I found that losing weight was much easier with my problems gone now and no monthly fluctuations to put my diet off course. I'm 6 months post and have lost 18 lb. and stilling going down. And I'm feeling great! Sooo glad I did it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register