Another sleepless night | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another sleepless night Another sleepless night

Unread 04-10-2002, 09:47 PM
Another sleepless night

Why is it every night I think this is the night I am going to sleep all the way through and instead of sleeping I am awake? I am flowing worse than during the daytime and my cramps are only relieved with a heating pad. Does anyone else experience this? I am taking birth control pills to stop the bleeding but they don't seem to stop it any more. My surgery is scheduled for 4/30 but I have requested the date to be pushed up if there are any cancellations. I can't stand this anymore.

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Sleepless NightSleepless night

Hi Linda

Sounds like you and I are doing the same thing...and it isn't
Am on a chair with my trusty old heating pad...making the Kotex company richer!
Ask your DR for some pain killers and/or sleeping pills...Percocet is real good and usually makes you sleepy...bonus!
My TAH is one the 27th of May and following recovery my DR says I will be a new woman! Hope he is right...cause I'm sick of this BS !

Kathy
Unread 04-10-2002, 10:08 PM
Another sleepless night

I've been there. I had my surgery on 2/8/02 and am so glad I did. I hope they can move your surgery date up, but if not, hang in there--life WILL get better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 10:16 PM
Another sleepless night

Thanks Kathy and LynnMary, for responding.
I have been very afraid to take any extra medication. This is going to be my third surgery this year so I am trying to avoid any thing that can be a danger. I never thought of mentioning the need of sleeping pills to the doctor. I am going to call tomorrow.
My mind has been in such a fog. I can't wait to think straight again.

Linda
Unread 04-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Another sleepless night

Hey Linda...

Me again! What a coincidence...this will be my 3rd surgery in a year!
Everyone I know says I should have my address changed, I have spent sooo much time in "the castle"
Hopefully your DR will give you sme sleeping pills and you can get some
Unfortunately, the painkillers that work are narcotics and there is the chance that you can become dependent on them with prolonged use...been there, done that...it is not fun coming off of them! But, talk to your DR and see what he says.
They had me on morphine last fall for 3 weeks...every 4 hrs! I don't remember an awful lot! When they took me off it, it was not a fun time! But, I could not have managed without it! Damed if you do and damed if you don't!
Will be thinking about you...
Keep me informed!

Kathy
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:22 AM
Another sleepless night

Tignet << I never thought of mentioning the need of sleeping pills to the doctor. I am going to call tomorrow. >>

As you have a surgery coming up anyway, perhaps you could request an anti-anxiety med, like Ativan, as a sleep aid. I've been on low-dose Ativan for months to help with the sleep disturbances I experience with fibromyalgia, and it's been wonderful -- I need as little as .5mg to help me sleep all night, and at such a low dose, I don't get "withdrawal" symptoms if I want to skip a few days. Many women seem to be prescribed anti-anxiety meds before surgery, anyway, so it wouldn't seem an unusual request.

As an aside, my mother swears by otc Tylenol PM whenever she can't sleep.
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:30 AM
Can't sleep either........

Too much stress my DS had a lump he now has to have checked.....just found out tonight......I pray it's not testicular cancer......he's my one and only..........looks like forever....since I won't be able to have another..........I feel blessed atleast I have him...........
Wish we could have a PJ party !!!
Pre op tomorrow......lab Fri surgery Monday.......
Deborah
Unread 04-11-2002, 02:44 AM
Been There

Deborah,

My son found one last summer just before he turned 16. It turned out to be a lump of blood vessels. Abnormal, but not cancerous or unusual. His DR will check him annually, but said not to worry.

Debbie
Unread 04-11-2002, 10:01 AM
Oh GOSH Thank you !!!!!!!!!!!

Finally a different diagnosis than cancer !!! I sure hope that's my DS's report too on the 17th.
I'm trying to stay calm......I started all the way finally today......I woke up almost crying I dreamt I was pregant........instead it must have just been plain old cramps.....of my VERY last period.....
Talking about emotional!!!!!
I have all my questins for my Appt. today at 2......and I'll post with my particular answers....
I can't wait to be on the other side of this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love to all !
And Thanks again Doggy650
Deb

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register