No Health Insurance - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Health Insurance No Health Insurance

Unread 04-11-2002, 10:59 AM
No Health Insurance

If you're a Canadian citizen, could you go to Canada just for the surgery? Then again, I'm not sure when you'd be able to travel back afterwards. Hm. I'm sure you've already thought of that.

There was a thread a while back on hyst costs; you might search for it.

Good luck!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 11:52 AM
No Health Insurance

<< If you're a Canadian citizen, could you go to Canada just for the surgery? Then again, I'm not sure when you'd be able to travel back afterwards. Hm. I'm sure you've already thought of that. >>

Right now, there's no place I specifically have legal residence, I'm just in limbo. I'd need to be in Canada for three months before I could re-establish residency and qualify for free health insurance, and for one thing, I think I'm in too much pain to wait so long for treatment (three months plus gawd knows how long before a surgery date becomes available -- free healthcare has its drawbacks). Also, if I leave the US I *won't* be allowed back in until my Green Card number comes up, and as I said, that could take years. I've got a great partner of almost 5 years down here, we have a new house, a ton of pets, just had a pool put in -- my life here is good, except for all the waiting I will continue to research costs of surgery as you suggested -- this board has been very, very helpful so far to both me and my concerned partner.
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:22 PM
No Health Insurance

What a bummer!!! And yet if you're a Chinese citizen you can get a green card within 5 years. Go figure. And he wasn't even under any threat from his homeland. He travels back to visit family all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 04:13 PM
how much it costs

hi, I work at a hospital and give people estimates for self-pay surgery every day. I can tell you that hospital charges for a three day stay and TAH is around $7000, and Dr bills around $3500...PLUS the bill from the anesthesiologist, pathologist, and prescriptions after the fact.

FYI, people think that LAVH or TVH is cheaper...LAVH is actually MORE EXPENSIVE (usually) because lap surgeries as a rule take longer and therefore the cost keeps going UP since OR time is billed by time. A Vag Hyst is USUALLY cheapest since it is sometimes outpatient and even if not it has the shortest hospital stay. But I guess the decisions about which hyst is best should be your Doc's and not based on cost...

I hope this info helps.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register