timing and choices | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

timing and choices timing and choices

Unread 04-11-2002, 05:33 AM
timing and choices

First, I'm glad I found this place. Thank you, Google!

I have multiple uterine fibroids, none very large, but too many to successfully treat with UAE. I've been down the options road all the way to a hysteroscopy and D&C last month. My follow-up appointment came before my period at which point there's no telling if it helped. My first period after the D&C led me to call to set up a consult appointment for a hysterectomy.

I've got some timing issues going on here as we're due to move in June. If I can fit the surgery in right away, everything should work out alright. But if I can't, I guess my only other option to suffering for most of the summer is to try birth control pills. Has anyone ever had any alleviation of heavy bleeding and major pain on BC pills?

I opted not to take the BC pills on the follow-up to my D&C because the progesterone I had been on last year turned me into a crazy woman, alternately raging and crying towards the end of my ten day supply of pills - like the worst PMS ever. But I will take them if anyone thinks it may help in the least.

Thanks for your opinions!
Travaux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 06:00 AM
timing and choices

Travaux, that is indeed bad timing. I was started on BC to control heavy bleeding and it worked for a while. The dosage is the key. Also, if the progesterone affects you like that, you might consider straight estrogen pills. I took Loestrin. It took a while for it to regulate, but it did work to keep my periods at a tolerable level for almost a year. The lowest dosage kept my periods regular, but a stronger dose also kept them managable. Ask your doc about BC without the progestrone.
Unread 04-11-2002, 06:03 AM
Hi Travaux

Isn't this a great site? I was so glad I found it before my surgery too. I didn't have fibroids, so I cannot speak to that. I was on birth control pills for 14 years, with the exception of my pregnancy. I was on Ortho Novum 777 for years. When I began bleeding heavily and had monster pain (one week prior to my period and the entire length of my period), the doc switched me to Ortho Cyclen. The 777 has different levels of hormones for each week and the Ortho Cyclen gives you the same dosage of hormones for every day, every week. They helped for a while, but then it just kept getting worse.

I would definitely discuss all of this with your doctor. I could not imagine that you would be up to the chore of moving so soon if you got the surgery scheduled in the near future. This is major surgery and takes a lot out of you, even tho you feel so good. Are you moving within the same city/state? It might be an option to take BCP's until after the move and your settled to get an idea if they work. Talk to your doctor about the different kinds of pills, what it is you WANT to do, and the fact that you're moving. Your doctor would be the best on to advise you on options and then you could proceed with what you and he/she think is best.

Best of luck to you! Keep visiting this site. You will find so many wonderful women here who have been through exactly the same thing and you will get tons of wonderful advice and support during this major event in your life.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register