LAP Surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:53 AM
LAP Surgery

It's been 1 month since my Laparoscopy, and it's official, my doctor sewed my belly button closed! No kidding. I am going to call their office today because I am very upset. A girl at work told me he shouldn't have made the incision to close to my belly button. Has anyone else ever experienced this? I'm having an abdominal hysterectomy with removal of tubes and ovaries on June 4th (when my daughter is home from college to help me). Now I am worried that he will screw up my incision then too. I am distraught looking in the mirror every morning. I'm just hoping he can fix this, maybe when he does my surgery. I'm so new to this. I complained for 6 months about my pain before, during and after my period... I am only pain-free for about 2 days a month. My doctor finally agreed to do the LAP, only after I started crying in his office. After the surgery he told me I had the worst case of endometriosis he ever saw and he would have to remove everything! HELLO!! what had I been telling him all this time? Anyway, if anyone has had any kind of a similar experience, please let me know!

Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:04 AM
LAP Surgery

dear nsteadman, what do you mean sewed your belly button closed?!?! Like he made a mistake and put to many stitches in the area? I just had a lap. last week and i only have 2 stitches in my belly button! I think if iwere you, no i know if i was you i would be running to find another surgeon! don't take any chances with this operation.I would find a honest, considerate, kind and trustworthy doctor and then when i was comfortable with him doing the surgery,have it done,then and only then. You don't want a doctor that seems as arrogant and unfeeling as that doing such a major operation on you. I hope this helps, good luck and let us know how it goes.
Unread 04-11-2002, 08:08 AM
LAP Surgery

Since belly buttons come in all shapes, I don't know what yours looked like before and if this could be part of the reason why yours was sewn shut. Or, if it could have had something to do with the degree or location of the endo. Did you ask your dr why he did this? If he has no reason, I would be very hesitant about letting him do major surgery on me!

I definately have an "innie" and have had 2 laparoscopies (the last one was with my hyst) and the dr made an incision on the inside of the lower part of mine. It's got a little scar, but definately not closed any at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:27 AM
LAP Surgery

Heather,

From what I can see with my own eyes, he seems to have caught the bottom part of my belly button with his stitching... and that was enough to close up my entire belly button. I can't even force it open with my fingers.

I just got off the phone with his nurse, and she said in all her years she has never seen that happen. She thinks that it may still be because of some swelling... even after a month. But, at any rate, I'm going in next Tuesday to see him. I will definitely let him know that it worries me that if this could happen with a LAP, what could happen with my hyster? Isn't it unbelievable?

Nancy
Unread 04-11-2002, 08:31 AM
Belly Button

PDawn,

I definitely had an "innie" before the LAP. I actually just got off the phone with the nurse and she can't believe it. I'm going in next Tuesday to see the Doctor. It seems like his stitching just caught the bottom part of my belly button, but it was enough to pull the whole thing together. There is barely a slit and I can't even open it using my fingers. Pretty wierd, huh? I looked kind of deformed. I'll see what he says Tuesday, but if his answer isn't good enough, I might try to find another Doctor, but I've been with him for 13 years and it is hard. I will let you know what happens.

Nancy
Unread 04-11-2002, 08:44 AM
LAP Surgery

nsteadman, you poor thing, here you are healing from this surgery and you have this jerk of a doctor making you feel like it is no big deal! Even his nurse said she had never seen anything like it! I would definetely find a new gyn. if i were you. My husband is military and i had heard so many bad thing about the doctors there and i have to admit i was freaked out and hesitant about having a doctor at the military hospital do this major operation, but i have to say i went with my instincts when i checked the gyn.'s there out and i found a really good female doctor. All i have to say is don't settle. If he is not accomadating and thoughtful keep looking. My advice is to look for a female or talk to other woman who have had this operation done in your area, see which name keeps coming up and check them out. My doctor gave me all her phone #'s, home, work, cell,and her lap top e-mail address. I can leave a e-mail for her and she usually gets back to me within hours. She is booked monthes in advance for her time so i know how good a doctor she is. You should have the same kind of care from your doctor. don't expect any less. I hope you are able to find the best gyn. money can buy, good luck and let us know.
Unread 04-11-2002, 08:54 AM
LAP Surgery

I'm glad you talked to the nurse.

If you've been with this dr 13 years, nothing else has ever gone wrong and feel comfortable with him, I can see where it'd be hard to change to someone else. Hopefully, this is just from some swelling going on and it will look more like your old bellybutton soon.
Unread 04-13-2002, 09:55 AM
LAP Surgery

Hi Nancy!

You got some great responses - I too had a lap but I only had a small incision inside my belly button and I just looked at it, and it's fine! I like my inney! I'd be angry if someone closed it up!

I really hope you're still swollen - keeping my fingers crossed but you may want to look for another doctor if you're not comfortable with his explanation!
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:26 AM
Belly Button

Hi everyone. I had my Dr. appointment yesterday to find out why he "sewed" my belly button closed... he could not believe his eyes. What actually happened, was that when he stitched me from the inside, those stitches, obviously were supposed to disintegrate on their own... same with the few stitches that I had on the outside of my belly button... those did disolve, but the inside stitches did not, and they made their way all the way up through my belly button to the outside. He had to pull them out... that really hurt, because they were so close and tight to my skin. My button is a little infected, but he said it should open back up soon. So, that was my experience having a Laparoscopy done. Don't get my hyst until June 4th... waited until my daughter was home from college so she could help me. Good luck to all those who are having surgery soon!

Nancy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register