Questions about perimenopause. | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about perimenopause. Questions about perimenopause.

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:22 AM
question about symptoms

I have a couple of very basic questions---first, what do most people consider heavy bleeding? Is it long duration, clots (do some people NOT have clots at all?), a combination?? Second, what are the symptoms of perimenopause. I recently went 49 days between periods and my doctor suggested that I may be starting menopause. I have no other "menopausal" symptoms.

I am still in the "thinking about it" stage in deciding whether to have a hysterectomy.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks, Diane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:57 AM
Perimenopause....yuk!!

I have been perimenopausal for about 5 years with heavy bleeding and severe cramps.
Basically being perimenopausal (according to my Doctor) was having all the symptoms of menopause but you still have your period.
I have the following:
Vaginal Dryness
Hot Flashes (They are the worst!!)
Insomnia
Severe mood swings
Loss of desire for sex (not that my hubby isn't the sexiest guy around!!)
Loss or increase in appetite

Heavy periods you ask?? My last was for about 10 days and I went through well over 100 pads (had them doubled up).
I would soak through a pad in about 20-45 mins and I mean totally through it! I had clots that I was passing the entire time that were about the size of between a silver dollar and a golf ball.
Pain was so bad that my husband came home to find me doubled over on the floor sobbing due to the pain!
I had ultrasounds that showded not a darn thing to which the Doctor said that it was very likely that I have extremely small fibroids inside my uterus that were not showing on the scan.
He said we could do the D&C but I asked him....what if things just go back to where they are now??
So he submitted to my insurance that I needed the surgery and they have approved it.
I will have the BSO since it's obvoius to both my Doctor and myself that my ovaries are not functioning worth a darn.
I just worry about the breast cancer risks on this (HRT) since my Mother had Breast Cancer (even though no one else on either side of the Family ever had any Cancers....she was the first!)
My thoughts and prayers are with you in this "adventure" we have all been going through.
Cruise these boards, and ask any and all questions that you may have, and most importantly....talk to your Doctor and get those 2nd and 3rd opinons if you feel it helps!!
Sorry this was so long but I hope it helps!!

jdd

P.S. if you get the chance go into the chat room....best darn bunch of gals you ever want to talk to!! I'm going there now and am under the name bassinfam.
Unread 04-11-2002, 10:00 AM
Hi Diane

For many of us heavy bleeding has meant flooding, soaking through clothes and pads in a matter of minutes, huge clots, anemia, to name a few things. Some women have pain with this and some do not.
Perimenopause can bring on heavier, lighter or erratic periods. For many women this is a transition into the menopause years and nothing to be concerned about.
Do you have any other symptoms that your doctor or you are concerned about? Are you having any pain?
Some of the other symptoms of menopause such as hot flashes or sleep interruption can be treated with hormones, vitamins or a change in diet.
Thanks for asking about this and let us know if we can answer any more questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 10:40 AM
ovary question

Hi, Diane! From the title subject of your post, I gather you are undecided about whether to keep your ovaries or not. This is the most sticky question, since it is different for each woman. The average age for menopause in the U.S. is 51, so you probably have 10 years or so for your ovaries to produce hormones for you. If you don't have any risk factors for ovarian cancer (family history of breast or ovarian cancer, beginning menstruation before age 12, having first baby after age 30, and infertility), then you probably would want to keep your ovaries if they were healthy. I thought I wanted to keep at least one (though I was 48), but I let my dr make the decision when he could actually see them during surgery. They were both atrophic, had cysts, and probably were barely functioning. Plus I was at borderline risk for ovarian cancer, so I'm relieved that I don't have to worry about that now. Some women do have great difficulty finding just the right type and dose of HRT to make them feel good, but I'm lucky in that I feel great on Estrace. You need to discuss with your dr your risks of ovarian cancer, and come to a decision that you feel comfortable with. There is a new blood test being developed that can detect ov cancer in its earliest stages, but unfortunately it is not available to the public yet. That will make the ovary question much easier to answer in the future! It's good you are researching your options before you make a decision about a hyst. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:53 PM
Re: Perimenopause....yuk!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jdd
I have been perimenopausal for about 5 years with heavy bleeding and severe cramps.
Basically being perimenopausal (according to my Doctor) was having all the symptoms of menopause but you still have your period.
I have the following:
Vaginal Dryness
Hot Flashes (They are the worst!!)
Insomnia
Severe mood swings
Loss of desire for sex (not that my hubby isn't the sexiest guy around!!)
Loss or increase in appetite

Heavy periods you ask?? My last was for about 10 days and I went through well over 100 pads (had them doubled up).
I would soak through a pad in about 20-45 mins and I mean totally through it! I had clots that I was passing the entire time that were about the size of between a silver dollar and a golf ball.
Pain was so bad that my husband came home to find me doubled over on the floor sobbing due to the pain!
I had the exact same symptoms except for the hot flashes and the doc did an internal exam and said that the walls of my vagina were atrophing. Which means that I'm in peri-menopause still.

I had rough, painful periods...I'm in peri-menopause also.

But, I'm 37 and the 3rd and 4th opinion doctors told me that I was too young for the symptoms and that I needed an ultrasound done. At which point they found the fibroids, or what they thought were fibroids. Turned out to be adeno.

So, be careful, ask questions, get more than 2 opinions and go with your gut, Diane. You don't say how old you are, but I would like to know...and are you getting a hyster because of this or because of some other condition?

Sara
Unread 04-11-2002, 03:55 PM
Questions about perimenopause.

I have been experiencing heavy periods with large clots. I have a lot of pain (mostly in the lower left quadrant) from the time I ovulate till my period starts. My last period was 49 days after the previous one. I've had 4 major abdominal surgeries (2 for an ectopic preg. and 2 c-sections), so I most likely have adhesions.

I am 41---today my doctor said she though that I may very well be in perimenopause---it's too soon to tell. If so, I may not need a hysterectomy.

I really like this group. Thanks for the help and support!

Diane

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register