5 days to go | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-11-2002, 11:06 AM
5 days to go

I had my pre-op this morning and as some of you read in my previous posts, I have really been nervous about having the spinal sedation, but after speaking with the anesthesiologist, I am relieved......somewhat. The nurse who was in charge of getting me pre-admitted had just gone through a hysterectomy in Dec. and went to the time and trouble to tell me all about her experiences with hysterectomy. (the good the bad and the ugly) She was quite honest about the level of pain she had and she also said that as long as you stay on top of your pain medication, it won't be so terrible. Her advice was to take it on schedule because it is so much harder to make it go away if you wait too long to take it. I really appreciated her candidness.
One thing I am really dreading, however, is this gas issue. My neighbor told me that she really didn't experience too much discomfort from it but it takes a while to get it all out of your system. I go in Tuesday morning and am out by Friday probably. I don't see how some people can be sent home that night or the next day.
I have been spending the last few days working on my yard and tonight I am taking my daughter to the nursery to get some pretty flowers and some bird feeders to hang outside of my bedroom window so that I can enjoy them as I rest.
I am really sore from the yardwork and my huby keeps telling me to stop so that I won't be sorer than usual after surgery but I HAVE TO STAY busy. does anyone have reccomendations on how much to do or not do right before surgery?
And one more thing................................Here's a story you all will like.

I am an idiot.
Would you like to know just how much of an idiot I am?
I am a horrible, terrible ..................ugh.........IDIOT!!!!!!!

One of John's workers emailed me last week to ask how I was feeling. This was an instant message conversation. Of course, it was a MALE worker. We do things socially so it was not at all unusual for him to ask me about this.

I said, " Yeah, my doctor wants me to eat as much food with iron as I can stand............so I've been eating steak and spinach and beans and all kinds of stuff like that."

He says, "Well that's not too bad is it? I mean there could be worse things than having to eat steak, right?"

I said........................

are you ready for this.........................

UGH!!!!!
ERG!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!

I said, " My doctor says I should consume as much lover as possible."

Is it my fault that the i and the o are right next door to eachother????????????? oh!!!! I will never live it down. Perhaps a typing course is in order.

Oh, well, who likes liver any way?

your stupid sister who will never be able to show her face in public again.............

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 11:15 AM
5 days to go

That's to funny, and no you are not an idiot.

Hey your almost there! Next week at this time it will all be over and done with and you can look forward to it finally being done and over with.

Archide :jumping:
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:15 PM
5 days to go

Julie, I can totally relate to wanting to keep busy. But I do have to agree with your husband. At least one to two days before the surgery, try some old fashioned couch potato TV/Movie activities and good night's sleep. If there are things that you need to do, do them, but do them in a leisurely way if you can. Don't expend all you energy staying busy....it may cause you to be more stressed. I slept beautifully the night before and I was so glad. My surgery went great, but I didn't sleep well for two nights so I was truly greatful I took a couple days downtime prior to my castle visit. Looking forward to hearing how you are - only when you are up to it - on the other side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 12:32 PM
5 days to go

Julie,

I worried about gas too because I have chronic intestinal problems. I made sure I was up and walking as soon as they would let me; that probably helped. I did end up with some constipation, but that's completely resolved now (4 weeks post-op), and stool softeners and especially prune juice (yuck!) helped along the way.

You could try keeping Gas-X or something like it handy just in case.

Good luck!

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register