having TAH because of massive migraines | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

having TAH because of massive migraines having TAH because of massive migraines

Unread 04-11-2002, 11:14 AM
having TAH because of massive migraines

I am 31 and I will be having a TAH to help (hopefully cure) hormonal migraines (hormonal seizures). Is there any one out there that has been in my shoes? I am so hopeful that I am doing the right thing but nervous does not begin to touch how I feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 11:35 AM
Imitrex

Hi,

Was reading your post about the migraine headaches. I've had migraines for about 20+ years. I don't think mine are associated with my hormones, as I don't get them (as a general rule) around my cycle. I take Imitrex for my migraines. The injection form works best when they get too severe (throwing up), but it also comes in an oral form as well as a nose spray. The other thing to try is Midrin. This medication is also a vaso-constrictor, and may even help with cramps, if you have problems with that.

Hope this helps with some alternatives for the pain until you have your surgery!!
Unread 04-11-2002, 11:38 AM

HI,

I AM SCHEDULED TO HAVE A LAVH MAY 17 AND I HAVE SEVERE HEADACHES AROUND PERIOD TIME.. I NEVER CHECKED INTO THEM BUT MAYBE THAT'S WHAT I HAVE TOO (HORMONAL). THEY ARE JUST HORRIBLE AND I GET SICK TO MY STOMACH. THIS PAST WEEKEND I HAD IT FROM THURSDAY TILL SUNDAY. YUCK!!!!!
I HOPE MY SURGERY HELPS THIS ALSO. GOOD LUCK AND HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON!
CHERYL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 11:45 AM
Something to try for nausea

Just saw your message about your headaches, and forgot to mention in my previous post is that you may want to check with your doc about prescribing phenargan (I think I spelled it right). It is an anti-nausea medication that they usually give to you when they are giving you a shot of demarol, but it also comes in oral medication. I've been on so many meds for my migraines. If you have any questions at all about this, please feel free to send me an e-mail.

Hope you ladies are able to find some relief soon!!!

You are in my prayers, as I have been there for most of my life!
Unread 04-11-2002, 11:57 AM

While I was taking birth control pills, I would have migraines, especially during the "week off". I was on them for many years before it was finally recognized that was the cause. One day, months to a year or so after my tubal 5 years ago, I realized I hadn't had many migraines in a long time. Then my dr put me back on the pill because of the heavy periods. Lo & behold, the migraines returned. He explained the reason for me getting them mainly during that week once a month was due to the dip in estrogen.

I have taken many migraine medications, including the Imitrex in all forms, but the one drug that has even touched them is Fioricet, a muscle relaxant. My dr had prescribed it years ago and it was the only one that provided me with any kind of relief.

Better than meds, I discovered by accident that cold helps get rid of the migraines. I noticed it the first time when a friend who talks on and on and on and on caught me outside a store when it was freezing out. Instead of all her talking making my head hurt worse, I noticed it started to go away. Some other times, during the summer, I noticed that the air conditioning in the car blowing full blast at my head helped.

After I realized this about the cold, whenever I would get a migraine or when the aura would first start, I would get a frozen bag of peas (conforms better to the head/neck) from the freezer and apply. If you think about it...when you have a migraine, the blood vessels swell, causing pressure & pain. Ice helps shrink the swelling.
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:03 PM

Thank so much for writing to me. I have been a migraine sufferer for 10 + years I have been on imitrex for the last 6 years. Last year I returned to my neuro to say that I need more relief (my headaches are progressively getting worse with each cycle). He put me on 50 mg. of Zoloft everyday and 2.5 mg of Amerge one day before my period thru one day after my period. This too was a disappointment. Finally, we decided to include my gyn because it is very evident that the migraines are hormonal (he has always been aware of my migraines but not to the extent that they have gotten). He was very, very concerned and after several test we have come to the concusion that this my be my only hope. I am just so nervous about the procedure since the ONLY thing I have ever done of this nature is birth my 2 children.

I am the only migraine sufferer in my entire family and no one else has has a hysterectomy either. I am so thankful that I found this website.
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:22 PM
hormonal migraines

I am 31 years of age also and have had migraine headaches my entire life. Seriously, as far back as I can remember, I have had them. So severe, that NO medication touches them. I have been to the emergency room I know over 100 times to get a shot of Demerol and Phenergan because I was hurting so bad I thought I was dying and also was vomiting uncontrolably. I had a TAH 2 weeks ago, for hormone headaches and also for fibroid tumors in the uterus and heavy long lasting periods. I have always had problems with my period, resulting in fertility problems as well as many other related problems. I had two miscarriages both at almost 6 months pregnant, between my two boys. My Dr. is hoping that this is help with my headaches and he was sure it would help with all of my other problems associated with periods and my cycle. I hope you do well. Like I said, I am 2 weeks post op and am doing well so far, other than being quite emotional. I cry just about all the time, but I know this is a temporary thing. (I know my family hopes this is the case). Let me know how you do with your headaches after surgery. I have taken it all. Midrin, Imitrex, Fieorcet, Fieornol, Verapomil, Axert, etc..... and nothing helped my headaches. As a matter of fact, I had violent reactions to a lot of them. I was also diagnosed with Pseudo Tumor Cerebri about a year ago. Which means I have too much spinal fluid and it is yet ANOTHER cause for migraine headaches. I have had to have 5 spinal taps with fluid drawn off all 5 times. I am hoping that this hysterectomy is the answer to a lot of my problems. GOOD LUCK AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU DO! Leeanne
Unread 04-11-2002, 12:49 PM
there ARE some like me

leeanne

Thank God that there ARE some people like me out there! I too have tried everything it seems with horrible results. Like yourseld I pray that this is the answer to many prayers. I truly don't think I can handle many more headaches like the past 4 - 5 months.

Please keep me informed as to how you are doing and I'll do the same. I am so new to this idea of a TAH that I do not have my surgery date yet. I spoke to my gyn this morning and he is suppose to give me a date Monday (4-15-02) because he is trying to get my surgery done before I have another period (roughly 3 more weeks).
Unread 04-11-2002, 01:53 PM

I also had hormonal migraines, although that isn't the reason for my hyst. However, I am praying that it has cured the migraines as well as the other stuff. The night before my surgery (3 weeks ago today), I developed a horrible migraine that lasted through the next day. It was so bad, I had trouble getting ready to go to the hospital. I was so sick and I coudln't wait for them to come and get me a knock me out! Well so far, I haven't had another migraine, and since I'm on HRT, I figure I won't have many more since my hormone levels will be steady. I just figured it was one of the perks of the hyst...

Good luck and keep us posted!!
Unread 04-11-2002, 02:01 PM
steady hormones

SDinAcworth

This is my gyn's thoughts, that by removing everything he can stop me from producing hormones thus eliminating the "peaks and valleys" of hormones that causes my migraines. And we are praying that a s-t-e-a-d-y flow of hrt will help.

Keep praying and I'll keep you updated.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register