having TAH because of massive migraines - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

having TAH because of massive migraines having TAH because of massive migraines

Unread 04-24-2002, 02:49 PM
hormonal migraines for 25+ years

Sorry to hear about your migraines. I have had them for over 25 years and always due to hormones. They start a day or two before my period. The migraines used to last for only two or three days and were managed by Imitrex injections. Unfortunately, the pills never worked for me, but a shot is a small price to pay to get rid of a migraine!

I am 45 now and a couple of years ago started into perimenopause. At that time my hormones started doing crazy things and so did my migraines. Now I get them for 10 to 12 days per month. Imitrex is very expensive and my insurance company only gives me 6 injections every 30 days. What a joke!

I'm not having the hysterectomy because of the migraines, but my doctor is hopeful that they will be helped by the surgery. Good luck to you and I hope all of the ladies who have replied to this post with migraines find some relief from after the surgery. You are very young to have a hysterectomy, but if the pattern of your migraines follows mine (and many other women's from what the doctors tell me) the headaches will get worse as you go into perimenopause.

Please post your results and let us know how you do. I have a very personal interest in it myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 02:55 PM
having TAH because of massive migraines

Good luck with your migraines Beth, I have them too. I was too chicken to give up my ovaries, so I am anxious to find out if it works for you. I've read about leveling out the hormones, so I'm really hoping that it works for you. Mine don't sound as bad, so I am happy with my deicision to keep my ovaries---even though, I'm having some menopausal symptoms-yuck!
Please keep us posted and good luck with everything!
Tam
Unread 04-24-2002, 03:05 PM

Hi, I'm not sure my experience is relevant here, but I started suffering headaches about 3 years ago, just as my fibroids took off. For a while I called them "sinus headaches" as sinus medicine helped a lot. THen that started failing. Although I never had the severity that some of you have described, I would suffer rapid onset ofnausea and throwing up and quite a bit of pain that could last for 24 hours. And it seemed to be tied to my period. My GP said they were probably "migrainous."

But that changed, just around January of this year. And I'm not sure why, as the periods have gotten worse, while the migraines have just about disappeared. I stopped taking the sinus medicine, fearing a rebound effect.

The change I have made is to add more iron to my diet. I wonder if that could have changed the equation? I really have had just a couple of mild ones that have readily responded to motrin.

Anyway, I'm really expecting my upcoming surgery to end this problem. It's one reason I want to have my ovaries out as well.

Pellice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2002, 06:07 PM

Hormone migraines here as well, been dealing real hard with them for the last seven years. To no avail, my hormones have not come under any type of control, always bleeding and only having four or five good days a month. I finally had enough. Been put on all kinds of meds to help get them under control and I too have been on everything under the sun as well. Even to go as far as adding prentesone to enhance the effect of medication. I have gone so far into debt as my insurance would only pay for very little of what I needed in a months time.

I have come to the conclusion of having a TAH/BSO is the way to go, having mine on Monday. I opted to try the lupron to see if shutting off the hormones would make a difference before actually having the surgery, and it was the best thing I could have done for myself. I am looking forward to having time to be me and not hugging the john for days at a time. I have been in the hospital for a week at a time several times just this past year.

Take care, hope I was of some help, and its nice to find others in the same shoes so we remain sane

Sharon
Unread 04-24-2002, 09:15 PM
Update

I'll be five weeks post tomorrow and I haven't had ONE migraine since my surgery. I can't believe it!!!! My gyn told me on Monday that I may still get them occasionally, but not monthly like I used to. She told me to take my hormone tab at the same time every day and it should help. I can't tell you how happy I am to be rid of the 2 - 5 day and month migraines that I used to suffer. Hope you have as much luck as I've had!!!!!

Unread 04-24-2002, 09:17 PM

Oops!! that should have been "2 - 5 days every month"
Unread 04-25-2002, 04:26 AM

What kind of estrogen are you on? I've heard the patch is good about delievering a steady does without ups or downs. Let us know, what kind and dosage. Menopause may not be so far away, I like to be prepared :-) .
Goodluck,
Tam

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register