Possible Hyst? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Possible Hyst? Possible Hyst?

Unread 04-11-2002, 02:14 PM
Possible Hyst?

This is my first post so please bare with me. Ihave numerous cysts on my rt. ovary. Some come and go, others have gotten bigger. Some have started leaking into my abd. causing irritatoin to intestines, which is painful. Not only that, during an u.s. last Friday, the tech. stopped the u.s. to call md for a new order to do vaginal u.s. As soon as radiologist read it he called my MD b/c my endometrium was extremely thick and contained alot of fluid. He suggested a severe infect. but my MD had alredy ruled it out. Both agree I need to see GYN ASAP( 4-15-02). Does anyone know what this might be? All of my aunts and mom had hysts by 30. What are the chances I'm next? Periods are unpredictable and so heavy that I use a super plus tampon in aliitle less than an hour the first 2 days, and stay home in bed with meds and heating pad, which is hard with 3 DD under the age of 7, the youngest being breastfed still. My tubes are tied and I don't want anymore children, but my mood swings are so bad now, what would it be like after hyst? Also, if they do remove my ovaries or go ahead with hyst, does that mean I'll no longer be able to nurse my DD? I hope someone out there has been in same situation or atleast had same symptoms and can give me some answers. Thank you all so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 07:24 PM
Possible Hyst?

Hi, Shaw B, \

I don't have answers for you, but I wanted to bump your post up toward the top.

Helen
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:44 PM
Possible Hyst?

Don't have any answers either but wanted to let you know I've had some of the same problems. Bleeding so heavy not only used super plus tampon but also pads and still had to change every hour and spend the evenings in my recliner with heating pad. That's why I'm having hyst. Scared as I am, I am really looking forward to not having to hassle with that month after month. Wish I could tell you more but I just don't know more. Good luck though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi

I'm sorry I do not know what to say about what might be causing your heavy periods, pain and other symptoms. I do hope you get some answers on the 15th.
It is a shame you are having to deal with this at a young age. Why did your mother and aunts need hysterectomies by the time they were 30? Were they all for the same reason? Were their symptoms the same as yours?
I did do some research for you. It does appear women can still breastfeed after having a hysterectomy. Here is a link for you to read about other womens's experiences with that.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hlight=nursing
Please let us know what you find out Monday. We are here to answer any questions and provide you with any information we can.
Good luck.
Unread 04-11-2002, 08:14 PM
Possible Hyst?

I'm not a dr and cannot diagnose your problem, but thought I'd offer some things that come to mind you may want to research just in case your dr does diagnose you with them so that you'll be able to think of any questions in advance.

One thing is adenomyosis. It is within the uterine lining and can cause the heavy bleeding & pain. It only gets worse unless the uterus is removed. Some drs like to try hormones or ablations first instead.

Another thing I was thinking of is fibroids. They can be located within the uterus or in the lining.

Either can cause the uterus to be enlarged and cause heavy bleeding, unpredictable periods, and painful cramps.

If you experience PMS and keep your ovaries, you can still have it after the hyst because you still produce the hormones that cause it. Even if you have the ovaries removed, you may still experience the mood swings until you get adjusted to the right hrt for you. BUT...I still have my ovaries and have noticed that the PMS is so much better than it was when I was pre. It may be that it's such a relief knowing that all that pain & bleeding won't soon be following anymore.
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:40 AM
Possible Hyst?

Hi, Shelley! Thanks for the reply. One of my aunts had uterine cancer or vaginal cancer, can't remember, and I don't speak to my mother so it's hard to say why she had one, but my dad says it was for a bunch of cysts and stuff so they went ahead and took everything out. As for my other aunts, I'm not really sure. I called one the other day and she said out of 5, 4 have had hysts. Another thing, if it was fibroids in my uterus, wouldn't they have shown up on the u.s., or not? The radiologist and MD thought maybe it could be that I was just about to start my menses, but that was a week ago now, and still no sign of it. So, if it was abnormally thick a week ago, I wonder just how thick it is now!
Unread 04-12-2002, 10:55 AM
Hi Shaw B

I am not sure all fibroids would necessarily show up in a u.s. I think any number of things could possibly cause thickening of the uterus. PDawn's post listed some possibilities.
I know it is hard to wait and not know. But try to relax a bit if you can.
Let the new gynocologist do a few more tests. I hope you will have some answers soon.
Keep us posted.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register