Another Newbie | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another Newbie Another Newbie

Unread 04-11-2002, 06:06 PM
Another Newbie

Hi everyone, my name is Donna and I am 34 years old. I will be going in for a TAH/RSO sometime in June. When I was 21 years old I got diagnosed with PID and ovarian cysts. I developed an infection after the birth of my daughter that got misdiagnosed as a urinary/bladder infection when in reality it was some form of bacteria that was literally destroying all of my organs. I was bleeding heavily, was anemic, was in so much pain I didn't know what to do and on top of everything else was sick with fever. My doctor also told me he thought I had the beginnings of endo. I went in for a hysterectomy at 21, went under anesthesia crying and begging to not take everything. When I awoke, I was told they were able to salvage my right tube and ovary. I had a bikini cut and had a LSO, and while they were in there, they tried as best they could to repair some of the damage. I was told my insides resemble a spider web. They tried to clean up some of the scarring and adhesions, but I have so much damage attached to major organs, they could only do so much. They also informed me at that time I would probably never have another child but at least I still had hope.

Well, in the last 13 years I have had 3 bouts with cervical cancer, been biopsied, frozen, burned, you name it. I can' t take it anymore. I have to remain on a high dose birth control pill to control the cysts in my last remaining ovary and I am getting to the age where that is dangerous.

I went to the dr a month ago and was informed once again my pap was abnormal. I have been suffering in pain again. (I did have a few pain free years after the first surgery). Being on the pill was supposed to lighten my period and reduce some of the pain. NOT!! I am almost completely incapacitated at times. He then informed me it was time to remove everything. He thought after the first surgery I would be lucky if I lasted 10 years and I have gone almost 14 so I guess in a way I should consider myself lucky. I was never fortunate enough to have another child, but I am blessed with my daughter.

So, here I am. I found this board a few days ago and have learned so much already just by reading all the posts. I have been through surgery once already so that doesn't worry me too much, except the fact I am a lot older now, but I am having a really hard time dealing with the finality of it all. And this HRT. I am really worried about that. My doctor has stopped my period until the surgery with my BCP's. He didn't want me in any more pain then I had to be in. But my hormones are all over the map, I'm swelling, and I am suffering really severe headaches, not to mention insomnia something awful. Sorry for being so longwinded but there are a million and one things going through my head right now.

Has anyone else had their periods stopped and had their bodies just go nuts or is it just me?

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Another Newbie

Hi, Jetgirl,

Welcome to Hystersisters! It sounds like you've really been through a lot, and I'm glad you found us.

My problem was different from yours. I had the period that wouldn't end. But I feel much better after my hysterectomy, and I'm doing well on HRT.

You'll find a lot of supportive, caring women here. Once again, welcome.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-11-2002, 08:26 PM
Hello

Hi and welcome, Jetgirl.
You have certainly been through more than your share.
I am glad for you that there is an end in sight. Do you have your surgery date yet? Will you have to suffer the symptoms the BCP's are causing for long? By all means call your doc back if it is unbearable.
Please keep reading and posting. There is lot's of good information for you here. The main page has lot's of pull down menu's too with great info for both pre and post op. Also, lot's of Princess stories that are helpful to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 08:38 PM
Thank you!

Thank you for the encouragement and HUGS. No, I don't have my date set yet. It will be in June sometime. I hopefully will find out when I see my dr on May 2nd. As for the lovely side effects of BCP's, I have to take them until my surgery. I will be telling my doctor about what I am experiencing though and see if there is something that can be done. I don't know if I will be able to last 2 months feeling this way.

Well, I just wanted to say I am so happy to have found this website. Everyone here is so wonderful and caring. And it is so great to know that everyone really does know what your feeling and can relate. Thanks again.

Donna

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register