Morphine or Demerol | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Morphine or Demerol Morphine or Demerol

Unread 04-11-2002, 07:29 PM
Morphine or Demerol

Help ladies,

I need some advice, my doctor told me today at my pre-op appt that it was my choice of either Morphine or Demerol. I have never had morphine before and had demerol only once when I went to the ER because a cyst had ruptured. I didn't have any complications with Demerol but it was a lose dose and only one.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback of pros and cons of each.

Thanks a bunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 07:35 PM
Morphine or Demerol

I was on a morphine pump and it didn't work very well for me at first. I was in alot of pain in the recovery room. After the first 12 hours or so, it seemed to work better, but my nurse told me she thinks demerol injections eveery 3 or 4 hours work better. I can't say since I didn't have demerol. But everyone is different and affected by pain meds differently so you'll probably get many different answers. If I had to do it again, I'd try the demerol injections.

Good luck!!!
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:37 PM
Hi Paula

I am sure you will get a variety of opinions here.
I had the morphine pump and it worked great. I had no pain at all in the hospital. I had no problems with the morphine.
However, some women experience nausea or itching with morphine.
There are different med's they can put in the IV or pills you can use.
I used Darvaset when I came home. Only had to use it once and it worked well.
Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 07:41 PM
demerol or morphine

i had my tvh and bladder sling on 3/27. i had morphine i.v. and it made the pain easier to tolerate and made me sleepy which i didn't complain about. but in 24 hours i tried the oral pain pills and they worked better. i have also had demerol in the past and didn't feel it did anything. so everyone is different and pain meds react differently. what works for one doesn't necessarily work as good for someone else. good luck speedy recovery
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:46 PM
Morphine or demerol

Hi...

I've had both. I was given demerol for the birth of my first child, and also for migraine headaches. They usually give it to you with phenergan as demerol can upset the tummy for some. I was given morphine about 6 years ago to releive the pain of a kidney stone. It worked pretty good too, but left me pretty spaced. The demerol made me sleep, two full hours through my contractions!!!
Stadol was another one I had for labor relief, it also put me to sleep thru my labor pains! I was a wimp, couldn't do the epidural thing! Didn't like the thought of the needle going into my back!!

Anyway, those are my experiences with heavy duty pain killers.
Unread 04-11-2002, 08:00 PM
Morphine or Demerol

Hi!

Both drugs are opioids with Morphine being stronger and therefore, quicker onset of action. However, for some, the Demerol is enough to relieve their pain. Also, if you are given either in an IV, the onset is immediate. If given an injection, the morphine works rapidly, whereas the Demerol takes about 10-15 minutes. Another difference is that the duration of the Morphine is from 5-7 hours & the Demerol is from 2-4 hours.

Some people do not like either drug because of the side effects. The most common one is itching. I had a Morphine pump until the next morning and did just fine, except for the itching. But it wasn't too bad and I hardly even remember it. When the IV was removed, they weaned me to Demerol.

Hope some of this info helps you to decide.
Unread 04-11-2002, 11:47 PM
Morphine vs demerol

Hi. I had a morphine pump. I don't remember being given the choice of morphine or demerol, but the morphine worked great. I had a couple of general anesthetics as a child and had my tubes tied under G/A about 13 years ago and each time was extremely sick. I don't know what my anesthesiologist did this time, but I know he gave me something before induction, and something was added to my IV post op. The man was a genius! I had no nausea at all. I did have the sensation of the room spinning for a little bit, but once the nurse got me up the first time to go to the bathroom it passed. The pain was mild. They added ketorolac (Toradol) to my IV too. Nothing excruciating. I don't remember much of the recovery room, but I do remember being there and not being in alot of pain. I did hallucinate from the morphine. I had horrible, morbid images flash through my mind. I don't know how common this side effect is. Fortunately I recovered well and I was off the morphine on the 3rd day. While I was on the pump the nurses continually asked me to grade my pain level to see how I was doing. I heard alot of women vomitting in the ward and I felt so bad for them. I was very lucky. When the IV came out they put me on Tylenol #3s. They were great too, except for causing a nasty bout of constipation when I got home. Anyhow, that was my experience. Be sure to do your homework and I'm sure you'll do just fine. Best wishes and good luck!
Unread 04-12-2002, 05:19 AM
question???

so if there is a choice, morphine, demerol or whatever.. who is it up to the surgeon or the anthesiologists?
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:31 AM
Morphine or Demerol

thanks so much ladies, ya'll are a wealth of knowledge.

Karah,

My doctor said that every anesthesiologist has his/her preference and normally just goes with that unless the doctor insists on one or the other. My doctor told me that he doesn't prescribe the meds unless he felt necessary because if the anesthesiologist is the one prescribing then after the surgery the nurses will contact the anes. for any meds I might need instead of the doctor. (He said he found the loophole and loves it, but will always be around for me to call).

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register