Pre-op today..More scared than ever | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op today..More scared than ever Pre-op today..More scared than ever

Unread 04-11-2002, 07:37 PM
Pre-op today..More scared than ever

Had pre-op today. Thought there was a chance insurance had not approved me and no one had bothered to tell me. Not the case. I should know better.. have wonderful doc with great staff. Visit to doc office went okay. Doc answered all my questions. Gave me the option of epidural or be put to sleep. Any recommendations from post op sisters? I have asthma so doc thought epidural might be better but left decision up to me. Have until Tuesday prior to surgery to decide. Left doc office and went to hospital for preregistration. Never been to this hosp before and even got lost going there. Anyway, staff there were really friendly and I felt relaxed. They gave me a goodie bag. It contained an enema and a betadine douche!!! Because of the time I have to be at the hospital I have to get up at 5 a.m. to give myself an enema (only had one in my life and that was for childbirth and it was given to me) and then I have to douche and then shower. Definitly told to do all this in this exact order. Ain't life grand? I am at the point where I just want this to BE OVER WITH!!! Give me the pain, the swollen abdomen and all the other good stuff that goes with a hyst. but just let it be over with. Anyway, any ideas about the idea of an epidural?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 07:44 PM

Hi Irae,

I had a general and did just fine, but I don't have any problems with asthma. I've had an epidural and a spinal with c-sections in the past. For something that takes as long as a hyst, I'd rather be asleep, but they can also give you something to make you sleep or just relax you in addition to a spinal or epidural.

Lucky you! My dr didn't give me a goody bag, lol. I had to go out and buy the douches & enema myself.

Sounds like you really like your dr and I'm happy for you. I just love mine.

Good luck with everything and come back and let us know how you are when you feel up to sitting at the computer.

s
Pam
Unread 04-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Hi Irae

You'll get lot's of different opinions and responses no doubt.
I have read from many women who had the epideral and were very happy with it. You do get something to help you relax or put you in a twilight sleep. There is no after effect such as comes with the general anesthesia.
I had the general and did very well with it. I just went to sleep and woke up and it was all over. I was lucky and had no nausea or problems with the general.
Have you spoken to the anesthesiologist? That can be helpful in making your decision. Perhaps you can ask your doctor who the anesthesiologist is and arrange a conversation about your options.
Yes, it is nice when it is over with. Hang in there.
Soon a you will be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 09:04 PM

IRAE:
I am having a TAH on 04/16/2002 just like you and today I had my pre-op visit with my doctor and the hospital. I received my goodie bag as well but the only difference is the orders for the enema. The nurse instructed me to take my enema at bedtime the night before and then douche and shower on the morning of surgery. As for me I will be under general anethesia which is what was used on me when I had my tubes tied. My cousin who is a nurse as well as the nurse in pre-registration suggested that I eat lightly (salad, fruits, & veg) a couple of days prior to surgery drinking extra fluids.
I have to be at the hospital at 7:00am and hopefully I will be his first case of the morning.
Take care of yourself and maybe we can keep in touch before, during, and after.

God Bless You
Teresa
Unread 04-11-2002, 09:40 PM

I didn't have an epidural but I did have a spinal. (My doctor said an epidural was not an option - I don't know if that's her policy or the hospital's or what.) I was given a shot (versed) right before going to the OR. Between the versed and my exhaustion from a week of semi-sleepless nights, house cleaning, shopping, and only about 2-1/2 hours sleep the night before, I dozed through most of the surgery. I was vaguely aware of what was happening, but the only thing that bothered me was the temperature of the OR. At one point I woke up to the sound of my teeth chattering. I went back to sleep pretty quickly though, and then the anesthesiologist woke me to say it was over. A nurse asked if I wanted to see the uterus, which I did since I was pretty curious about it. Then they took me to recovery, which was the first time I was aware of my legs. I took awhile to get the sensation back, but other than that, I felt pretty good for having just come out of major surgery. I never had any pain beyond mild cramps that were far less than I had experienced during my periods, and Ibuprofin took care of that.
Unread 04-12-2002, 12:20 PM

I have asthma, and I had general. No problems at all with the asthma, but I did have a little nausea after the general this time. I had general last November also when I had a D&C, and had no nausea, so I was surprised that I had it this time.

I didn't get a goodie bag, and I didn't have to douche or do an enema. Every doctor's different I guess.

Best Wishes!

Debbie
Unread 04-12-2002, 01:15 PM
pre - op

Just had my second pre op,at miltary hospital you wait so long i just break it up, into days. All I have left now is my lab and chest x-rays. I gree I just want this over with so I can get on with my life. It seems like this one surgery has taken over. Do anyone hear suffer from severe PMDD? This is why I'm having everything lavh/bso. I was not offered a goodie bag either, I feel left out. I look forward to went I can say I'm post op.

waiting and waiting, and waiting.
Unread 04-12-2002, 01:28 PM

Must be a batch of us 4/16ers. I had my pre-op today and they started in on how they do a spinal most of the time and I said NO! I'm not anxious, I'm not nervous and I do fine with the emotional part of this stuff, but I DO NOT want to know anything about it - blood or organ removal just make me sick to even think about it (which is probably why I don't!) so I want to be put out and wake up with it all over. A few years back I had a lump removed from my breast and they just made me groggy and told me I wouldn't remember any of it - well they were wrong! I had a conversation with my doctor about his next surgery - prostate surgery on some man (I even asked him how it went when I went back for my follow up visit!) and the anesthesiologists switched in the middle of the procedure and I was well aware of that and remembered both of them afterward!!

No bowel prep of any kind!!! Yippee!!!! I was so excited about that!! Nurse told me to have a good weekend as I left and I said "oh I will now!!" which is true!! No worries for me!!

No goody bag of any kind, but I didn't see my DR today - since we really did the pre-op a couple of weeks ago - so it was just the blood work, knock me out or no conversation, and then the nurse telling me about what time to be there and going over medical stuff. This has been a breeze so far. I'm glad I haven't wasted time and energy worrying about it.
Unread 04-12-2002, 01:44 PM

My surgery is not until May 15th.
So my pre-op is in a few weeks. I did how ever ask him about the night before--he said no enema!!!He said that they are finding that doing an enema is not always needed.
Now is that up to the doc or the hospital? He never said anything about a douche?
I have tons of question when I go to the hospital for pre-op. I want to ask about the spinal--that sounds wonderful. I am not really to sure about pain control after,don't really want morphine--so ask , ask , ask thats what I shall be doing
Unread 04-12-2002, 02:44 PM

I had my pre op at the hospital this morning... EKG, XRay and blood tests.

I also met with the surgical nurse. She said no enema or bowel prep is required.

I also asked about nail polish... I'm love red nail polish on my fingers and toesies ... should it be removed before surgery? She said wear any color that would make me feel good. So red it is!!!

I then went for a stroll through the hallways, checked out cafeteria so that I could envision where family would get a bite to eat and the gift shop to be sure they had my favorite flavor of lifesavers.

As I walked out of the hospital I felt at peace that all was in order. Now it's just a matter of hurry up and... wait.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register