Pre-op today..More scared than ever - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op today..More scared than ever Pre-op today..More scared than ever

Unread 04-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Pre-op today..More scared than ever

About that enema -- I only had one (ever) prior to my surgery, at the birth of my 1st child. 23 years ago the nurses gave it to me and I felt like losing the whole package (baby & all) in the toilet. Not a good experience!

My dr. wanted an enema for the hyst, so I dutifully went out and bought it (no goodie bag). After performing it on myself (not too easy) I had a BM and figured that was it. NOT!!! After going to bed, and having the remnants of the 1st one laying in my bowels, they (the bowels) erupted on me about 2 hours later!

So, I guess what my point is, is that you shouldn't time your enema, then douche, then shower too closely to when you have to leave for the castle!

(Anyone else have this experience?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 04:07 PM

Aw, Lizzie - here's a hug to help! Somehow, at the pre-op appointment, it all becomes more real, and it does get scary!

I'll share my asthma/spinal/general anesthesia experiences. Hope this'll be helpful - I've got some experience with all 3, though I think an epidural is a bit different than what I had, cause my doc never used that terminology.

First, I highly recommend that you call the hospital and ask to talk to an anesthesiologist to get their input and advice. As always, my experience may not be what yours would - everyone's different.

My asthma is under excellent control - I take serevent and pulmicort, rarely have problems unless I get sick or am around a lot of things I'm allergic to.

I had a spinal with sedation for my hyst. It was WONDERFUL - no troubles at all with breathing, no tube down my throat. Also no pain or woozy feelings. The nurses gave me a spirometer, which is a little dohicky to help make sure you are taking deep breaths. It works the opposite of a flow meter, if you have one of them. You breathe out all the way, then inhale into the spirometer, keeping this little ball in between a certain location, till the bar raises up to where it should for you. It was helpful. They also want you to cough a few times every hour.

Then, 3 days ago, I had a thyroidectomy under general (no option here for spinal :-(). I have had quite a bit of phlegm and wheezing since then, and have been using my nebulizer every day. Didn't have a spirometer in the hospital, but I think it's more the tube in the throat that might have made the difference. But heck, who knows..maybe I just have a cold that hit the same time and THAT'S what's causing the wheezing!

Anyway, my personal choice between spinal and general is spinal.

Hang in there, whatever your decision...the waiting WAS the hardest part
Unread 04-12-2002, 04:27 PM

I have had experience with both general and spinal/epidural. I was so sick after general that there was no way I wanted to do it again. I even had the thought of leaving the hospital if they wanted to give me general. You can read my story at this link.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=epidural

This was one of the best surgical experiences I had. If you don't want to be awake you can ask them for an alternative to use with the spinal or epidural such as sedation. General anesthesia is such a deep sleep that a tube is required in your trachea which is connected to a respirator during surgery to keep you breathing. I also had the option to keep the epidural in for post op pain so no morophine or demerol pump to keep having to push buttons and I was so happy about that and the fact of no barfing.

Also here is a recent link to check out.
http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=epidural

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register