Epidural - Help | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epidural - Help Epidural - Help

Unread 04-11-2002, 08:52 PM
Epidural - Help

Today I had my preop hospital work done. This was the first time I was told anything about an epidural. I had all my boys naturally so I do not know anything about it.

How painful is it and is the pain of the needle worth the relief? How intense was the pain after the first 24 hours and how long did you use the morphine? If you used the pump would you do it again?

I'm not one for much medications at all but realize this is a time when I will probably be grateful for them. But I have to decide this by my surgery Monday morning. Yikesssssss!!!

I hear everyone talk about the morphine pump but I never realized it was through an epidural. I guess I never really thought about how it was attached to you.

Thank you, Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Hi Kathy

My morphine pump was attached to my IV in my arm. I just pushed the button whenever I needed a dose, or actually beforehand, as I had read here to stay ahead of the pain. I made sure I did. I didn't have any pain at all by using this. I started tapering off after day 2. They did not remove it until day 4. I was hardly using it. But also needed no pain pills when I was in the hospital. Did not use anything my last day or two in the hospital. I was in 6 days. I would definitely use it again.
They used a mini shot in my arm to numb the area before they put in the IV. I don't know if they do that with an epideral, but you could ask.
Unread 04-12-2002, 01:16 AM
Epidural

Kathy

Just prior to going to theatre, they started my IV and inserted the epidural. I can only assume they had already put happy drugs in my iv as I didn't feel the epidural being inserted.

For the actual op I had a general. The epidural was totally for post op pain relief. It was kept in for 48 hours post op and I had very little pain at all. It was truly great. The nurses got me up to walk, yes, even with the epidural still in and with no feeling in my legs, with the aid of nurses, I was able to go for a short walk.

I had an epidural post op as I have asthma and sleep apnea and the dr did not want me to have morphine at all. The best part was no throwing up. Very little nausea post op at all.

Cheers

Gail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 05:40 AM
Epidural - Help

Hi, I had the spinal/epidural for the surgery and the post op pain relief. They gave me something in my IV before surgery to relax me and when they inserted the spinal/epidural..I felt NOTHING. I was awake and I even asked the anestheologist if he had inserted it yet. He said "yep"..all set!
I was in a twilight sleep during the surgery..I was shook awake while still in surgery to be told everything went fine, surgery was shorter than expected and did I want to see my removed uterus.
I went into recovery awake and not groggy and had NO PAIN AT ALL. The epidural catherter remained in for 24 hours and then I was switched to Demorol in my IV. I didn't have the pump.
The Demorol did make me naseaus on the 2nd day so they gave me Torodal via injection in my bum. The toradol is an anti inflammatory as well and it worked awesome!!
The only downside I had to the epidural was itching and numb legs. I didn't get up to walk until day 2 once the epidural was out and I regained feeling in my legs.
Some women do walk while the epidural is in..but for me the numbness was COMPLETE no feeling. Within hours after removal, the feeling came back and the nurses were in to get me up.
I had the option as well between the epidural and General anesthesia. I opted for the Epidural...the anesthelogist and my Doctor recommened it. I have had GA before and didn't like the fog or sore throat from the breathing tube..I never had an epidural before and thought, "heck I'll give it try". And I have no regrets.
Good luck and here is to a speedy recovery!!!
Unread 04-12-2002, 05:44 AM
Epidural - Help

My epidural was inserted in the OR after thay had given me a strong sedative. They numb the skin so that you don't feel it. Truth is the sedative is so strong, I only vaguely remember them putting the epidural in. And don't remember the general at all! I had an epidural with my younger son also. It is really great because when you wake up and for the next couple of days, it keeps the pain manageable enough for you to get up and walk without making you groggy. You see, it's localized to the area that is in pain instead of systemically like and IV. So they don't have to give you as much to be effective. Getting back on your feet as soon as possible helps to recover faster, so it really helps in the recovery. You can push the button as much as you want. You can't OD as it will only allow so much morphine to go into you over a certain period of time. At the first sign I was having some pain, I would push the button. Usually on my walks around the ward.

I think you'll find that you don't really remember it going in and that you will really like how it helps the pain.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register