Two weeks before | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two weeks before Two weeks before

Unread 04-11-2002, 09:30 PM
Two weeks before

Okay - I admit that I have been lurking for a few weeks. I got my surgery date, finally, and I will enter the castle on May 1st for my much anticipated surgery! I can't wait. I will be 51 tomorrow and had almost a full year and a half with only one period until this past December. Then the hemorraging started and continued until my doc put me on BCP which really cracked us both up. The bleeding has lessened but the pain is still there. Now to the question. I don't have my pre-op until April 29th. Are there foods, etc. I should be avoiding a few weeks before surgery?? This is a truly teriffic web site and I have told everyone I know about it. Thanks for all your help.

Also - I am a single mom with two teens. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 01:22 AM
me too

Hi,
I am a single mum with two teenage boys also, it is hard but I have not found anything that says what to eat but make sure ypou are having plenty of iron etc.
I go into the castle in 3 days time...April 14, the operation is on April 15th.
Good luck with yours.
Unread 04-12-2002, 05:30 AM
Two weeks before

Welcome!
I had my surgery in Oct. My suggestion on the kids is to get them involved in helping around the house, if they aren't already. Explain that you will not be able to lift anything more than 5 lb for at least 6 weeks. Choose things around the house that you carry all the time and weigh them. My kids and I were very surprised to find out that a gallon of milk was 7 lb! Bending, stooping (laundry) and pushing and pulling (vacuuming and sweeping) are not good during your recovery either. Once they understand this, ask for their help. Let them know that for most of your recovery time, you will feel and look fine and that you will need to take walks to build strength, but will need lots of rest and help.

My kids were wonderful once they understood what my limitations were in terms that they could understand. They even fixed meals for me (granted it was soup and sandwiches, but they were great!)

They helped with the housework (under my direction). I would stand around and tell them what to do and they were happy to help out.

Good luck. I'm 6 months post-op and feel wonderful. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 07:39 AM
Two weeks before

JudyAnne ~

Welcome and glad you have posted. I don't have any advice for you on the teen issue (my kids are 9,7 & 4). I don't know of any special diets that one needs to be on weeks prior to surgery. I do suggest you take iron (but ask doc to make sure). You don't want to go in, all ready for surgery; then have them say you are anemic and have to re-schedule. I have seen several posts where ladies ate real light for 2 days prior to surgery, and as they stated, it helped them in the long run (such as less gas and easier BM's). The light menu could be soups, broth, jello, clear liquids basically.

Best Wishes and God Bless †

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register