Hi ladies yet another question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi ladies yet another question Hi ladies yet another question

Unread 04-12-2002, 06:09 AM
Hi ladies yet another question

How long did most of you feel crappy???? I mean how soon did you feel well enough to go to dinner with your hubbys or s/o? I
think I have envisioned myself being trapped in the house forever......I am not a patient person and knowing I can get out and maybe see a movie or dinner will help me not clean and do laundry. When did you feel comfortable being home alone????

Realistically.....will I be able to get out and about and talk to my neighbors at two weeks, three weeks.....oh for crying out loud this *****......

sindee

11 days to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 06:16 AM

I think it was about 2 weeks before I felt good enough to go out to dinner - the car ride was a consideration too. You have never felt the bumps in the road and the jostling and swaying like you will now, for a little while.

My family ordered out too - and we made it more fun than "just supper at home with the family, as usual." I didn't see where you are from before I hit reply, but the weather's getting beautiful here in Delaware, and if it's nice by you maybe you can order pizza or something and have it outside on a table or something.

Even just a change in routine made being housebound easier.

Debbie
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:23 AM

Hi Sindee, I can give you my post op experience....
Week 1, I didn't have any desire to go out. I wanted to lay in bed, walk a bit around the house and go on the computer. My mom stayed with me the first week.
Week 2- I got the okay to drive and ventured out a bit. Short drives to post office, atm machine and one outing to the video store. I was exhaused at the video store waiting in line. I got into street clothes, jeans etc and out of my pj's. But once evening hit..pj's came back on early!!
Week 3- Ventured out more..went out for lunch and dinner..but came home very tired and the bed looked lovely! I found during this week I would have one good day, followed by a bad day. Bad meaning no energy and swelly belly.
Currently I am in week 4..I am pretty active now. No heavy lifting or heavy exertion in any manner. I have been out car shopping the last two days and have been so busy I didn't get my afternoon rest periods..I feel it. Just very tired and today I am taking a total day off and just laying around. Feels great!
I am divorced and started staying alone after week one...I do have a teenage son who has been very helpful during the early weeks in the evenings with doing laundry , trash, and doing my running up and downstairs for things I needed.
It won't be that bad...I am enjoying the time off from work and pampering myself. My boyfriend ( can't forget him) was also a big help in keeping my spirits up, and being my nurse the first couple of weeks.
Good luck!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 07:23 AM

Hi Sindee. Well, I too am constantly on the go. I feel like I should always be doing "something." I am just over the 3 week mark and still get tired and have some swelling if I sit more than a couple of hours at a time or if I try to do more than I should.

Honestly though, I felt so good after my surgery, within a week (a little over the 1 week mark), I did go out for a dinner, but we were not gone more than 1.5-2 hours. I was tired and laid down as soon as I walked in. It was so nice to get out of the house!

Each person is different with their recovery. I have done really well so far and have bounced back to probably 1/2 my energy or a little more. Some have a little longer recovery, so don't get disappointed if you don't feel up to it. If you know you want to go out, plan it so that the day or two before you can really really REST for a 2-hour outing. Also, order out, have ready to make things around the house, etc. I was alone 6 days after my surgery and it was fine. I had cans of soup, sandwich stuff, etc., on the counter and on a shelf I could reach in the fridge so that I could get up and walk and make something easy.

I got the green light to drive at my 2-week mark, but I don't drive very much, and when I do, they are short trips. Luckily for me, my town is sort of small and I live close to many things.

Just listen to your doctor and your body. You don't have to deprive yourself of everything, but be prepared to rest up before and after. You've only got one shot to heal, so try to let it all go.

Hope this helps. Best Wishes to you.
Unread 04-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Just a thought here....

I don't know if you live in a house or an apartment, I live in a house and told Hubby that I would love a 2 week celebration picnic in our backyard!
Wouldn't have to drive, could hobble to a lawn chair and soak up the sun as well as my family.
Like I said....just a thought!

jdd
Unread 04-12-2002, 12:32 PM
thanks girls

it makes me feel better knowing I wont be totally laid up for the 6 to 8 week recovery. My doc told me she expects me to be able to drive by 2 weeks, limited of course. Steps are ok once a day up, once a day down. I wanted to call and ask her a million more questions but she is on vacation til my surgery....bummer!

Went shopping today for loose clothes...I keep calling them fat clothes my daughter said they are comfortable clothes not fat clothes

I have put up a few meals, and did some freezer stocking up. I hadnt thought about lunch and breakfast stuff for after the hubby goes back to work.....of course he can run for that after I get home and settled.

I had a lap two weeks ago and the second night we went out to dinner and I was pooped out when we returned home. Of course there wasnt any pain involved with the lap so I am sure it will be quite different with the hyster.

Well I am off.....to work one more week of work and then I am done til June sometime.....holy cow!!!

Cindy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register