LIW Smoker | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:48 AM
LIW Smoker

Hi...this may be a really dumb questions...maybe not dumb, but during this kind of surgery, it may be petty! I am a smoker and I am sure even if I felt up to it, they are not going to let me go outside and have a cigarette...has anyone been given the patch while in the hospital? Should I call and ask my doctor about it or just ask him when I talk with him before my surgery (the morning of)? I have been wanting to quit anyway, but always use the excuse of being too stressed!! Is there any sisters that were smokers and were given something to get rid of the craving while in the castle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 06:59 AM
LIW Smoker

I'm a smoker and didn't get a patch or any other nicotine replacment. However, the day after my surgery, my hubby got a wheelchair and took my outside to smoke. The nurses never said a word. It was actually kind of nice to get outside, and I went several times a day. I wish I could quit, but like you, always the excuse it's too stresful!! On well, maybe someday.......
Unread 04-12-2002, 07:08 AM
LIW Smoker

Hey MJM

I too am a smoker and know from past experiences...after surgery you won't feel like smoking. Do ask your DR about the patch...think I 'll do the same! I said I was going to quit before my surgery...but haven't yet! I'm going to think of it as being part of the "new me"...NO more PAIN! NO more Making the Kotex company rich! NO more Smoking! Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 07:09 AM
LIW Smoker

I 'was' a smoker too, until 13 days ago. I've been wanting to quit too, and as soon as I heard the words tumors (even tho they're benign) and biopsies (waiting on results), I knew I wouldn't have another. That was all the motivation I needed. I used the Nicorette gum to take the edge off the craving but I haven't even had that in 3 days. Maybe you can use that to help during you're stay?

Good Luck..
Unread 04-12-2002, 07:10 AM
Smoker here

I am also a smoker. The nurses wouldn't let me off the floor, but one whispered that I could smoke in my bathroom, which I did. I only had a few and no one ever said anything. I didn't want to quit tho. If you want to quit, talk to your doctor to see what they can do. I am sure they will be more than happy to help out!

Best of luck on the surgery and the no-smoking!!
Unread 04-12-2002, 07:57 AM
LIW Smoker

Yes I plan on quitting, have been and I thought this would give me the opportunity. So I plan on it. I figure if I can go a whole day at work without, I can do it, have done it before, was planning on getting that gum to rid of the urge, I have heard from alot of people it does.

Archide :smokin: quit quit
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:52 AM
LIW Smoker

Hi, I wanted to quit before my surgery..kept putting off. I did put the patch on 2 days before. I didn't have the patch on during surgery and I didn't smoke or crave cigs while in the hospital. When I came home I stayed smoke free for about 2 days..and then had 1, which turned into 2, and so on.
I want to quit and will try the patch again...soon!
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:55 AM
LIW Smoker

Hey MJM!
Not a dumb question at all - thanks for asking it. I've been wondering the same thing. I really hope someone who actually used the patch posts because I'm thinking I might swallow the gum if I'm pushin' the pump for pain meds!
Unread 04-12-2002, 12:17 PM
LIW Smoker

I'm a smoker and didn't really feel like smoking in the hospital. But I had a cigarette as soon as I got home 4 days later! But I know that there was a smoking area if you felt like going down 6 flights and then walking to the exit where it was located! I had enough trouble just making it to the elevator, so I never really thought about it. I'm sure that they will accomadate it if you really want to though.
Unread 04-12-2002, 12:36 PM
hi mjm

i too am a smoker.
had my tvh on the 27th of feb and was only in the castle for about 36 hrs and never really wanted one until i got in the car on the way home and it tasted pretty awful, i guess it was due to the drugs i was still on. it took about 2 days after to get back in the habit, quit? i guess i was'nt ready to either.
good luck to you and are you having tah or tvh?
will be thinking of you and in my prayers

lynette

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register