LIW Smoker - Page 3 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-13-2002, 06:53 AM
LIW Smoker

I posted earlier about being a smoker. Since we all love this website and posting our thoughts, concerns..there is a quit smoking website that is very similiar in that you can post, chat and have sister and brothers that share the same quit date.
The website is www.quitnet.com for anyone interested.
Since reading this thread, I have become more committed to picking a NEW quit date and getting this over with. Being laid up with the recovery , I just have not been able to even think seriously about quitting and putting my body through another stress.
Good luck everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 07:36 AM
Fellow Smoker

Hi Mum!

I have been hopeful that someone else would bring up the smoking thing!! Iam also a smoker for 30 yrs and considering surgery. I have tried the patch recently, but somehow was smoking with it on NOT GOOD!! So I took it off. I have chatted with some of the post ladies who also smoke and they say it did not make difference, still I think it is better if we quit before surgery.

There is a post written by a hyster sister named NUCC who is 4 wks post op and she stated in her post that her drs added the patch to her post op drugs and gave it to her during her stay.

Best of luck to you, be sure to write a post when you are up to it!
We LIW and chickens who want to be...(me) will be praying for you and waiting to hear from you!

Good Luck!
Sue
Unread 04-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Smokin'

hello,

I am a smoker as well. Right after surgery, I did not feel like smoking. the morphin pump kept me happy. I did not crave a smoke until the night of my surgery. It was pouring rain outside and the nurses did not want me outside in the rain either. I had a wonderful nurse that told me to go ahead and smoke in the bathroom if I needed to. (remember YOU are paying for that room!) BEWARE: When I got up I was VERY dizzy. To say the least, I did not make it to the bathroom. DH had to pull up a chair for me and when I lighted my smoke and had a few drags, my head was spinning even more! After I was off the pump, I woke up better and visited the bathroom more frequent. HA! If you are going to attempt to quit, right now is your chance! Hang in there and good luck!

Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 03:37 AM
LIW Smoker

I was a smoker too
I quit on 3,20,02,
I had my last one on the way to the castle
I told my hubby that I was through with smoking
and I quit
I had smoked for the last 26 years I had quit 2 other times
for 1 year each time well each time I started back due to stress now I find out that part of the reason I needed my hyster is due to having a cough
I have astmas so I cough almost all the time and at times I cough really hard so me having my last child 19 years ago which was a fast viganal delilvery and doing to much to fast I had pulled all my insides down then due to the coughing my adomal musheal (can't spell )would try to push my insides out this is a bit graphic I am sorry but this is the best way I had things explaned to me when I asked
so anyway my doctor said that if I still smoked and coughed I would not be any better off after my hyster so If I wanted this sugery to work then I need to stop smoking so that is what I did
and to my surprise I don't even crave them
sorry so long
Unread 04-14-2002, 06:51 AM
2 pack a day smoker

Ok, being a die hard (pun intended) two pack a day smoker for over 20 years, I too was worried about this, even though my hosp. stay was less than 24hrs. After surgery I asked and was given a PRESCRIPTION nicotine patch. It worked supremely, didn't even want a cig until noon the next day, EXACTLY to the minute the patch wore off, on the way home in the car. I asked the nurse what type patch this was, as I didn't miss a cig the entire overnight stay. Never has anything worked so good. She told me she thought it was a prescription patch not an over the counter. I haven't been to my post op visit with my doctor yet, but plan to ask for the name brand or a script for this patch. Sorry to say, on about the third day home was craving and smoking again. (hubby priced over the counters 65.00 for a week supply, so we are waiting to see if others cheaper with script on our ins.) I did not miss smoking during my stay with this patch AT ALL, but then I had a very short stay and the patch wore off the day I went home. I would certainly ask for pre approved by doctor orders for a nicotine patch, as the gum never did a thing for me but made me want to smoke more in the past when I tried it. I am wondering if the hospital patches are more potent than over the counters, as it worked great for this chain smoking total addict, good luck.
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:36 AM
prescriptions for smoking cessation

Unless you have some sort of super terrific insurance, most insurance companies will not pay for smoking cessation products, anymore. The first ime I got Nicorette in 1989 by Rx, insurance paid for it...once it (and the patches) went OTC, forget it. They won't even pay for Zyban (the antidepressant Wellbutrin for smokers wanting to stop)...and it is a prescription drug.

They really need to do something about this. I understand that the rationale for this is probably that the statistics for staying quit is so low, they would be paying for the drugs too often. Still, I think that would be cheaper in the long run than paying for cancer treatment. But it seems like a lot of things where insurance is concerned is bass-ackwards...some plans won't pay for birth control pills, but will pay for childbirth...they will only pay for drug rehab a couple of times, but will pay for AIDS and hepatitis treatment.

My DH and I are always trying to quit...and we have always failed. Still, we remain hopeful that some day, it will stick (before something bad happens). I honestly think that there needs to be a rehab plan for cigarette smokers...as much as I would hate it, I would take the 28 days in a rehab center, if it were available...as long as they kept me away from everyone else there for whom smoking is the last addiction allowed...and insurance would pay for it! Here is an addiction that is stronger than the addiction to heroin, and there is no "real" plan to beat it. I just don't get it!

Marsha
Unread 04-14-2002, 08:56 AM
LIW Smoker

MORNING LADIES !

I am REALLY going to give it a good try to QUIT...I don't know how much you all pay for smokes, but here in Alberta they just went up to $9.00 per pack!!! With two of us smoking, an average of a pack a day each, that is $6000.00 a year!!!! Let alone what is is doing to our health!! Our company insurance does not pay for "quit smoking aids" either...but I think the Nico-derm system is nit that expensive. So. when I quit, after my surgery...pre-op is not a good time for me...every time I want a "puff" I'll be here!
Unread 04-14-2002, 10:18 AM
just in case...

MJM 93

My DH smoked for years and years but had to face a serious back surgery. On the table for 6 hours and out for days. No smoking areas close by even if he could walk. He chose that time to give it up thinking that he had aready passed the crucial 48 hours of withdrawal.
I ran home and removed everything that looked like an ash tray ect. And the girls here have posted that coming home to a house of stale smoke is the worst!
So just in case you decide to kick the habit...air out the home and car and buy plenty of gum and hard tac candy. Keep reviewing the photos on the net of cancerous lungs.
OK...that is your Mother lecture for the year. Don't be mad at me. But when you are my age you have already buried a few family members who died of lung cancer...all self induced. Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. Forgive my lecture.

Maralyn
Unread 04-14-2002, 02:21 PM
smoking

LIW, my hyster was 9 mo ago and i am a pack a day smoker. as soon as i got in my room i asked my md for a patch. the nurse brought it in within a half hour. it worked like a charm.
but it's true if you have your first on the way home you will probably get dizzy. now is the best time to quit i wish i had. but stupidly i'm now smoking 1 1/2 packs a day. well good luck! just ask your md ahead of time or after you wake up. there is no reason why you can't have one.
Unread 04-14-2002, 06:13 PM
29 days smoke free & 9 days pre-op!

Hi Ladies,
I posted here a fewdays ago and just wanted all of you to know that I am still smoke free in hopes that I can encourage ANY of you to quit pre-op. Believe me, I know that I am not anyone's friend out there at the moment that smokes, but I PROMISE- It is not difficult. Buy the patch. It is cheaper than buying cigs if you are a pack a day smoker(as many have complained that you cannot buy these on your prescription plan), but think about it, if you buy the patches, you won't have to spend the money for the cigs.
The first day or so is a little hard. If any of you sew, knit or crochet, get your stuff out and keep your hands busy. Otherwise, plan your first couple of days to be in smoke free areas, if you can, or go to a mall and walk around. Buy yourself a cup of coffee or nice drink to reward yourself and just walk around. After the first day or so, you will be amazed at how terribel smokers smell. Listen, I smoiked for 32 years- 32 YEARS! On the patch, I have not even gained any weight- (we all worry about this). It is amazing, and I promiuse that when those urges come, they leave in a few seconds!!!!
Well, I hope this helps- I want you to know that I have many friends that smoke and I never say a word. I have not even told them that I quit, because well, it's their business, but if you have any thoughts about it, this is the time. The surgery is serious and you will do yourself a world of good.
One more thing. My DH and I attended an engagement party of a friend's son today and everyone kept asking me why I looked so good and mentioning how great my skin looked. No one could believe I am as sick as I am and needing this surgery (I guarantee you, the no smoking has made a big difference in my skin).
Love and Hugs to All of You!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register