LIW Smoker - Page 4 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Thank you Sharon!

Thanks for the pep talk....all of us smokers need to hear that.

My hope is to quit way before I decide to go for surgery also.

Your post was another inspiraton!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 07:11 AM
Hello Ladies

I have been a non smoker now for 4 weeks today
man on man how time flys
I don't miss the cigs one bit
I didn't tell you ladies that my hubby is a smoker
he smokes in the same room where I am and belive me it doesn't bother me
I thought that it would and at first he smoked out side then one day it started to rain and I told him to come back in the house and so he did and it didn't bother me

this is what I do to keep from picking them up out of habit
if he leaves his cigs in front of the computer I move them and the ashtray to If he leaves them in front of the TV I move them where ever he leaves them I move them that way I am not temped to just pick them up again

I don't even crave them I am so amazed that I don't want one

I wish you all luck on becoming smoke free
for your health
for your surgery
for yourself
Unread 04-17-2002, 07:33 AM
LIW Smoker

I had my pre-op yesterday and told my doc that I am going to quit smoking while I am in the hospital, he told me if I started to get the edge, while I was in there, and needing a cig, he said have them call him or my gyn and they would prescribe me the patch and I could get it in there.

So that is the answer, he wasn't concerned that it would interfere with anything else, so Ask the DOC.

ArChiDe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Smoking

i was a smoker for 27 years.
i had my TAH a week ago today and decided to quit smoking while i was in the hospital. i was further encouraged in this decision because i could not breathe while coming out of the anaesthetic. i remember the doctor giving me heck and saying "Now do you understand why smoking isn't good for you?"
I was so frightened....

now it's day 7 and although the cravings can be intense indeed, they do only last a few seconds. i reward myself with some tasty hard candy whenever i feel a craving!

food tastes better already, and i find i am breathing so much better even if it's only been a week.

good luck ladies. the meds will help you to forget the nicotine cravings, believe me.

other than the intensity of the cravings sometimes, it really hasn't been that bad.

good luck in your effort to quit smoking!

Unread 04-17-2002, 05:43 PM
Hi my friend!~

I am smiling now!!

I just sent you a pm and said, let me check if Misty posted anything today. I found this thread!! So happy to hear that you are ok.

Our prayers have been answered. Will keep praying for you to recover quickly. When you are up to it we will catch up on the details, for now take care and rest.

I will be here waiting!!!

Unread 04-17-2002, 08:43 PM
LIW Smoker

as a new hystersister and nonsmoker i encourage you all to try to quit before you go to the castle.i had my last (i hope it really is my last) cigarette the day before my 3-11-02 surgery.i had no patch or gum and i didn't even crave a smoke the 3 1/2 days in the castle. i never smoked inside my home so when i came home i didn't have any stale smoke to deal with. my boyfriend(a non-smoker) drove me everywhere the first 2 weeks so i didn't smell it in my car either.i worry about going back to work where i take my breaks with my smoking buddies .i'mreally going to try to stay quit this time.i wish you all great recoveries. if you do need a cig in the castle i have been told you can step outside to the smoking area. wish me luck staying smoke-free.i really need it. lkn
Unread 04-17-2002, 08:49 PM
LIW Smoker

Just to let you all know I am home and doing good! I would recommend you QUIT smoking before your surgery too...All I remember in the recovery room is the nurses telling me to breath! I could hear the beeping noise and then they would just say "you need to breath"..they say this happens to smokers! I did not need the patch or anthing the first day..had no desire to smoke..of course this did not last long...came home today and smoked..but if you are considering quitting...please do!
Unread 04-17-2002, 10:11 PM
Hi everyone

I am (no, will) quit smoking when im in the hospital, dont believe I can quit b4 surgery I will be a mess as it is. However when I had my 2nd lap. I had such bad gas pains. I sincerely though I was having a heart attack cause my dr at that time forgot to remind me about the gas pains. So you can imagine my surprise!!! I had quit b4 for a year so I know I can do this. There was a pill out there that stops your period (forgot the name of it) but my old gyn would not give it to me not so much my age 42 but that I smoker and she refused. My grandmother had passed away she was on oxygen and still smoked and when we had to clean the house up to put up for sale so much nictoine on everything it had actually ruined a piano I've never seen anything like that in my life tar and nictoine on the strings seems like it was driping. So you can imagine what is does to our bodies especially as women.
All my doctors have told me to quit, dentist, family, gyn, urologist and even my liver doctor. So nows the time!!!

So good luck to every one who is going to quit, sometimes its difficult other times its easy. I will pray for you all.

Laura
Unread 04-18-2002, 05:27 PM
LIW Smoker

Hi Ladies,
Just dropping by one more time to TRY and give any of you :smokin: ers another push and beg all of you to try and quit beforehand.I know you might resent this post. I do not blame you, but I just had a recollection that I wanted to share. Many years ago, prior to my marriage to my present dh, I was married to another man. He was a real dog (womanizer)and finally his behavior caught up with him and he blew an aortic valve in his heart! Anyhooo, we were already separated, but I was at his bedside after the surgery. Since he was a smoker, his lungs collapsed and all kinds of bells were clanging in the iCU- So they pulled him thru and told us it was because he was a smoker, and that it can happen from being under anesthesa, and having surgery.
I smoked for a very long time - 32 years, and have been somke free for 5 weeks now. I am on the patch, just lowered my patch to 14mg (step 2), from 21mg (step 1). My day to enter the castle is Monday coming up! the 22nd! I am still the same weight and do not really feel deprived at all.
I am just praying that when the nurse tells me to breathe, that I can!!!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register