help for heavy bleeding | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

help for heavy bleeding help for heavy bleeding

Unread 04-12-2002, 09:42 AM
help for heavy bleeding

My first new post - yikes, I hope I do it right!

Just read in another thread about a sister who uses a heating pad for heavy bleeding. I know this feels really good but it was my understanding that applying heat actually increased menstrual flow. I'm awaiting a date for a TAH and experience extremely heavy bleeding during menstruation which is getting worse and worse (something I would have thought impossible!)
One of my coping mechanisms is to submerge myself in a cool bath (absolutely no fun) which seems to slow things down a bit, at least temporarily. Any reponses to the heat vs. cold options would be really appreciated - I may have a couple more wicked-bad ugly periods before surgery and I am absolutely dreading them.

Cannot believe what a learning curve I've been on since finding you all. There are no words to express how helpful and affirming you've been. Every other site I found before Hystersisters was cold, technical and far from informative about the real pre-op questions I had. I used to work in a battered women's shelter and am thoroughly convinced of the power of women helping women. Hystersisters is that power personified. Thank you all so very much.

cecee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 11:03 AM
Hi cecee

Welcome to Hystersisters.
And thank you for your kind words about this site. Yes, it is truly the best of "women helping women".
I don't know any methods to address the bleeding problem (aside from the ultimate one). But maybe someone will come along who can give you some more information on that.
You can also try the purple search button on the upper right corner of this page. Just type in "heavy bleeding" and hit search.
You will probably get alot of previous threads to read through.
Keep reading and posting.
Unread 04-12-2002, 11:19 AM
help for heavy bleeding

hi

not sure if this helps,but just after having my hyst.the nurse said i could have a hot bottle bottle for my back but not the tumas it aggreviates the blood vessels.

hope you get a date soon love debsx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 11:51 AM
Heavy Bleeding and How to Stop It.

When I was in sixth grade, many, many years ago, we were given a pamplet regarding menustration. Out of the entire booklet, the only thing I remember reading is that when taking a bath, water that is too hot can increase the flow, and water that is too cold can check the flow.

I have a suggestion that worked for me a couple of months ago one night when I had been bleeding very heavily for five straight hours. (I was soaking through two super-plus tampons and a pad every 15-20 minutes. I had the tampons doubled-up and it still wasn't enough.) I was desperate to find something to stop the bleeding before I died right there on the bathroom floor. (The nurse at my GYN told me I should have gone to the emergency room. I don't know why I didn't think of that!) I couldn't bring myself to try the cold bath, but had tried an ice pack on my abdomen, but that didn't work either.

Being a former nurse, I remembered something from my anatomy class and from my human sexuality class. (I'm rather embarrassed to even discuss this, and I really don't know how to say it.) Ummm, let's just say that muscular contractions can cause blood vessels to clamp off. (That's why, after having a baby, the nurses massage your uterus, to cause it to contract and stop the bleeding.) Having an orgasm causes intense muscular contractions in the uterus. I'll leave the "how to accomplish that" up to you. But I will tell you that it did work. The bleeding slowed to almost nothing immediately. And that probably saved my life.

Lisa

(How embarrassing. My face is red, and it's not from hot flashes!! I'm going to go change my user name now. )
Unread 04-12-2002, 12:02 PM
help for heavy bleeding

Shashi....don't be embarrassed! I am positive (wink, wink!) that you are not the first nor the last to use an orgasm as a way to stem the flow or even to stop cramps! Works even better than meds in my opinion. Of course, now I am going to have to change my screen name as well.....lol.
Unread 04-12-2002, 12:14 PM
help for heavy bleeding

Dear Shashi and Jamip,

I think I just better get busy! I don't think I could have dreamed that the solution was 'at hand' all the time!!
Thanks. Don't change your user names - I want to be able to access your practical advice!

cecee
Unread 04-12-2002, 07:19 PM
thank you

I haven't giggled like that in a while. I had my last period EVER 2 weeks ago and my surgery is on tuesday...................I wonder if taking matters into my own hands will calm my jittery nerves. hmmmmmmmmmmmm see, really do give good advice...........even though I heard somewhere it is a
Now changing my user id too.
Unread 04-12-2002, 07:52 PM
help for heavy bleeding

Before I read any of the responses uterine massage came to my mind. After I had my babies I remember the nurse telling me to massage my uterus to help prevent clots. You could check with your dr. if you want about this issue. I did try the uterine massage during the heavy days (my hubby thought I was nuts LOL) and it did seem to lighten the flow a little. I used to go through super tampons in 20 min but only did the massage after the pain pill (vicodin) was at the peak for pain relief. Also making sure the bed had a towel on it was a good idea to. I had to much pain during sex and this was the one of the ways I could help to control the bleeding. Also with certain conditions such as adenomyosis the uterus can not contract normally so it puts out clots. I thought by massaging the uterus I was helping to prevent clots.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register