thanks to all who answered back! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

thanks to all who answered back! thanks to all who answered back!

Unread 04-12-2002, 04:31 PM
thanks to all who answered back!

I really appreciated everyone who took the time to respond. I'm glad i found this website for answers. My surgeon is unavailable this week (giving the boards to the medical students) so am unable to talk to him till next week and did not know what to ask and was in shock last week when I found out. No immediate friends and family have ever had one so they are no help and frankly i think most of them, including my husband, are of the mindset that what's the big deal - women get hysterectomies all the time. I think i'm most afraid of what's growing inside. I think working with cancer patients like I do might have something to do with that. Can they tell the difference between a fibroids and another kind of mass by the ultrasound and CT Scan? My work papers for my work leave he wrote pelvic mass . And I'm really worried about the part where he said my uterus appears fixed to the bowels. I keep thinking colostomy. And he was pretty decisive about everything having to go. When I talk to him next week at least now I'll know more what to ask thanks to you all. P.S. - had already bought two pair of pajamas and went out today to buy short nightgowns. Had not even thought about the waistband issue so you guys do help alot. Have made alot of decisions from listening to everyone. I'm pretty sure I want pain meds in shot form- don't like the idea of having to keep pushing a pain pump button when I sleep . Also ,can't stand having a bandaid on so will probably have to go with oral HRT. All these things I wouldn't have thought about without you guys, so a BIG thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 09:33 AM
thanks to all who answered back!

Hi Staceylee!

I think that they can tell whether the mass is consistent with fibroid growth from an ultrasound (I've had both an abdominal us and a vaginal one) but my gynecologist still took a biopsy to be certain that we're dealing with fibroids. Still waiting for test results of that.

If you're wanting more answers as to the nature of the growths, perhaps your doctor will do the same if you let him know that this is causing you concern. (This is not a comfortable procedure and at least with my gyne, I had the option of having it done in the hospital with anesthesia. I went for it in the office right then and there last week because I couldn't stand the idea of having to wait for yet another diagnostic procedure. Really depends on your preference (read impatience) and pain threshold.)

Since you work with cancer patients, I bet that's the first thing that comes to your mind. I'm guessing that ruling it out or finding out exactly what you're dealing with will make a big difference.

Hang in there, Staceylee. We're all in this together! Isn't it great to find sisters who can relate to what we're going through?

cecee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register