the 'c' word | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-12-2002, 05:53 PM
the 'c' word

I am so happy to have found this wonderful website.
I already can feel the warmth and caring spirit. I'm sure I will visit often.

This is day 3 with the knowledge that I have stage 1b (from what they can see so far) endocervical adenocarcinoma, that is - cervical cancer. And this is day 2 of living with my decision of getting a total hysterectomy...not even sure of all the terms but they want to take the whole shebang. I'm 51 and they say I don't need it.

I'm so afraid and today is the first day that I can't seem to stop crying. I've never had so much as a bee sting and childbirth was 25 years ago.

I don't have that helpful hubby that I've been reading about but I do have a very loving family of sisters and a great son.

I look forward to being able to offer wonderfully helpful, perky and positive advice on this site... but right now I'm having a hard time helping myself. Tomorrow is another day. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 05:57 PM
hugs!

Jeannemarie, s!!!

I'd be crying too. The "c" word is just terrifying. I'm glad they caught it when they did, and you're getting it taken care of soon.

Take care of yourself. There's no shame in crying. I believe it's really healing to let all that stuff out of your body.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:04 PM
the 'c' word

Hi Jeanniemarie, I am so sorry that you have to deal with the "c" word. However I am glad you found Hystersisters to help you through this time. I don't know if you looked around yet but there is a forum called Cancer Concerns http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...d=6&daysprune= it is located on down the page. You may also want to post there as there are many women there who have gone through and are going through the same thing as you. Please come here often for support, information and lots of hugs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-12-2002, 06:11 PM
the 'c' word

Jeannemarie,

sweety! I can understand how you would feel upset about getting that kind of diagnosis. Getting the whole shebang out is called TAH/BSO or TVH/BSO TAH stands for Total Abdominal Hysterectomy. TVH stands for Total Vaginal Hysterectomy. BSO stands for Bilateral Salphingo-Oophorectomy. There is also LAVH:
Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy. There is another procedure done, called a Radical Hysterectomy. Generally, this procedure is reserved to treat widespread cancer.

I hope I have been of some help to you. You can use the drop down menus on the homepage (you can get there by clicking on the three princesses on the top left hand corner). There is a lot of info there. Also, at the beginning of each board, there is a thread about abbreviations used. That might be of some help to you as well.

s and welcome to the best place on the net, Hystersisters.com!
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:19 PM
the 'c' word

Jeannemarie,

Welcome to the site! I, too, was in your shoes on 3/7 of this year. Same diagnosis. I had let a bad PAP in 1995 go unrechecked. Actually, let me clarify, I was diagnosed in March 2001 and on 4/26/01 they did LEEP and told me they got it all. Was checked in November 01 == everything okay. Then, on 3/7, was told that things looked great, but the results of my pap and colposcopy revealed that things were "brewing" again, and a hyst was in order. I agreed, cuz I wanted to live.

Anyway, found this site on 3/7 and just kept reading and reading and never gave myself time to be depressed. Had TAH on 3/27 (6 days after 40th birthday). After the initial 2 days of being in and out of pain, I felt great. Had 1 week appointment on 4/3 to get pathology report. Didn't fall apart till that morning when I realized that I had cancer and that I could actually die from it. After all, hadn't the doctor kept telling me for the past year that things looked good, and every time I got results, the news was different? I made myself sick that morning, and never told anyone how scared I was.

At that appointment, the dr. told me that the cancer had spread high into uterus, something the pap and colposcopy couldn't detect, and had I waited till my next visit (6 mos down the road), it would have been too late. HE GOT IT ALL WITH THE HYST! Yeah!

What we have is highly curable. And, with today's technology, things aren't like they were years ago.

Surf through the site and ask or post anything that hits your mind. I'm sure you will find unmeasurable comfort here -- I know I did.

God Bless You!

SueK
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:21 PM
the 'c' word

Hey, we are all here to listen. We are very good at that. But a word of warning.... this site is addictive. I find myself here several times a day. No, I'm not obsessed with this surgery!!! Really I'm not!!!! (So, did anyone believe that?????)

We are all nervous before this surgery, but hearing that awful "c" word makes it even worse. So, feel free to come back often and vent, cry, yell, scream, or obsess anytime you want.

I also don't have a wonderful DH for support, but it sounds like you have a supportive family like I do. Good luck and keep coming back.

Caren
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:28 PM
the 'c' word

Jeannemarie,
When I first came to this site I wondered how these ladies who didn't know me could care. I'm hooked! They have felt ALL my emotions and physical pain. Cry?? Believe me, we cry with you and rejoice with you when things are "looking up". We for you. Thank goodness you have a supportive family. Some of these girls don't have anyone until they find this site. So, welcome. I for one, look forward to hearing from you. Karlene
Unread 04-12-2002, 07:46 PM
the 'c' word

Hi Jeannemarie:

We're here for you, whether you need shoulders to cry on or sisters to help celebrate with! It's really okay to ask for what you need, and right now you need some support and hugs. We're here for you!

I didn't have cancer, but believe me, I cried anyway just knowing that I really did need to have a hyst. It's scary surgery, even when you don't have cancer.

Glad to hear you have a supportive family and son. You will need their support. Meanwhile, it's okay to lean on us. That's why we're here. Then, when you're doing better, you can let someone lean on YOU for awhile!

Sending prayers your way.

Beth
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:21 PM
the 'c' word

Beth thank you thank you thank you.
Unread 04-12-2002, 08:24 PM
thank you all

dear wonderful women:
thank you all so much for the outpouring of love and information in just one day.
this place is such a blessing.
i hope to be able to contribute.
smooch. smooch.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register