Ovaries? Tummy tuck? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries? Tummy tuck? Ovaries? Tummy tuck?

Unread 04-13-2002, 03:22 AM
Ovaries? Tummy tuck?

Hi Ladies

I am certainly up with the "clucks" this morning...it is 4:00am here!
Anyway, have a couple of questions and would love some input...
Am having a TAH on May 27th...DR is leaving one ovary... should I tell him to remove it also or is this being dumb? After doing lots of reading about other women's experiences...having to have the remaining ovary removed at a later date, the chance of the ovary not working properly after surgery and the cancer risk...should I just have it out now? What do you think? I am 43 and experience pre-menopause symtoms...so how much longer before it is useless anyway? I must sound like a real dutz!
Second question no one may have the answer... I lost over 100 lbs. and had a tummy tuck last July...it went well, recovery was a little slow...had 175 staples! Anyway...has anyone had a tummy tuck and then a hysterectomy? If so, is the hyst. going to mess up my tummy tuck?
Sorry if these are stupid questions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Hi Kathy

Gee, the ovary question is a big one. It would not be "dumb" to have the doc remove it or have him take it. It is a difficult call.
What does the doctor think? Do you and the doctor think that the ovary is still healthy and producing some hormones for you.
Some women actually let the doctor decide when he is in there depending on how it looks.
There is just no way to know how long your ovary will perform. It could be years and it could be a much shorter time.
I know for me at 50 I did not want to risk another surgery. I don't think I had a choice anyway. I had numerous cysts on my ovaries along with endometrial cancer. But I felt once was enough for this.
We will bump you up to the top of the posts and see what other input we get for you.
Hysterectomy after a Tummy Tuck? I don't know on that one either. You may get some replies on that too. But also please check with your doctor. You certainly don't want to lose the benefit of the previous surgery.
Good luck to you.
Unread 04-13-2002, 01:15 PM
RE: Ovary? Tummy tuck?

Hi Shelley

Thanks for your answer...the ovary the DR was going to leave is in good working order...and all tests reveal that there is nothing sinister lurking about. He feels it will be fine until the time comes for menopause...though there is the chance that it may not work properly afterwards...guess I will see what he feels...decisions! decisions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Ovaries? Tummy tuck?

I was 44 and experiencing peri-menopausal symptoms for about two years before my surgery. I told them to take it as I have ovarian/uterine and breast cancer history in my family. As it turned out, the remaining good ovary looked good on the ultrasound, but when my surgeon went in, it was starting to atrophy and I would have gone through menopause within months anyway. In my case, it was the right decision. I do know that any of my friends that experienced perimenopausal symptoms, only did so for about 2 years before they went through menopause, so you may not have a lot of time left anyway. Besides, any reason you want to continue to have perimenopausal symptoms? If you are already, it's not going to get any better. If you have it out, then you could go on HRT and put an end to it once and for all. But there will be many women here that disagree with that philosophy, so you are right to get lots of opinions.
Unread 04-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Tummy Tuck

Hi There...just got out of the hopsital 7 days ago from having an abdominal hyst, kept cervix and ovaries....AND he used my tummy tuck incision. This is what I can tell you. Mine was a "mini tummy tuck" so the incision was straight across the pubic hair line and cut vertically down one inch. I asked the same question to my DR...he said he would only use half the incision and that he doesn't actually cut the muscle fibers, but more separates them. So, he doesn't undo the good the tummy tuck did.

For me, my uterus was SO enlarged that he had to use the entire existing scar and he actually extended it (about 5 1/2") just a bit to give a cleaner line, because as you know in the tummy tuck, they have to cinch skin together like a drawstring, so this incision will leave a cleaner line.

It's been so interesting that the recovery from the hyst is very different than the tummy tuck. I didn't expect the swelly belly as it is so different than after the tummy tuck. I have to keep reminding myself that there is "LIFE" after swelly belly and that I will indeed have a flatter tummy (one of the big motivations of my having the hyst is that although I was symptom free)...my lower belly was protruding from a growing uterus.

The receptionist at my tummy tuck Dr had a tummy tuck AND a hysterectomy all in one surgery. Goodness.

For me, my problem was fibroids, very large. In fact, he didn't know how large until he got in there necessitating increasing the incision. I have healthy ovaries and at 47 I wanted to take advantage of any natural hormones they would produce up to menopause and after. As for the cervix, again, healthy, no history of cancer, and I read it provided a good foundation for other organs. And my own instincts told me to keep it. Just my own opinion.

I hope this helps you. If you have more questions, ask away. Take care.
Unread 04-13-2002, 04:03 PM
Ovaries? Tummy Tuck?

Hi Kathy,

I'm in the "same boat". I know my right ovary will be lost because of the ovarian cyst. However, the left one appears fine on the MRI. I'm 45 and not experiencing any menopausal symptoms, but because of my age, I am also concerned about "what if..." I leave it and it doesn't function after surgery or menopause is 1 year away rather than the 5-6 my MD advises? Because of family hx of heart disease, HRT/EST is a good preventive measure for me.

I did some research and learned that if HRT/EST begins before menopause (in case of surgical menopause), that first year of HRT when there is an increased risk of heart attack (for those with heart disease already) hasn't been noted.
I would prefer to delay managing EST for as long as possible and rely on natural functioning of ovaries (ovary--) for estogen. But, taking the second ovary may be my better choice.

Of course, my other concern is, if one ovary had problems, might the other one also, at some later date and necessiate surgery then?

Ah, to have a magic crystal ball to for see the future....
Hope this helped. The best to you on making your decisions.

Beatrix
Unread 04-13-2002, 04:35 PM
Ovaries? Tummy tuck?

Hi Petelope

Thanks sooo much for your answer! My tummy tuck was major...170 staples...cut from hip to hip and up the middle to the breast bone...even had the choice of whether to have a belly button or not! ( thought it would look weird without one!) Not looking forward to but oh well, it will pass! Hope your recovery goes smoothly!

Hi Beatrix

Thank you for your informative answer...I know NOTHING about HRT...guess I have some research to do! There is a history in my family also and since I am already having symtoms I think I will ask the DR just to take it all and get on with it!

to both of you!
Unread 04-15-2002, 04:58 AM
Tummy tuck and swelly belly

Another question for Petelope!

My DR did a wonderful job with my tummy tuck...other DR's have said it is the tightest and flattest one they have ever seen...which is a good thing...except when it comes to the "swelly belly" thing...if I happen to gain a few pounds I really feel it...not so much pain, but very uncomfortable....so I am wondering what is going to happen with swelly belly! How is yours doing? Was/is it uncomfortable?
Unread 04-15-2002, 02:18 PM
More Tummy Tuck Stuff

Well, here's the scoop. Since my tummy tuck, my weight has only fluctuated about 7lbs. I've never felt anything like a pull. But my skin tends to be loose anyway (which is why I had the tummy tuck).

After the hyst, the worst part is the pressure from the gas. I have always been so conscious to keep the ab muscles pulled in, and with gas, you just can't. It feels like you're just going to explode, but you're not. And the look of it is like somebody stuck an inflated rubbery tube just above the incision. Yuck!!! I remind myself hourly, it will go away. I will have a flat belly again. And the women on this site say, have patience. Everyone is different as to how long it takes. So, I pray for sooner than later.

Today is Day 12 after surgery for me, and today is the best day yet. I am walking quite a bit now (I did a one hour walk yesterday). The walking doesn't seem to increase the swelling, or I just don't notice it. I've increased my walks to 2 a day. I take the Phazyme and Colace twice a day ( A MUST !!!!).

One of the things that really helps is to eat very small meals several times a day, rather than 3 big ones. The eating creates pressure and you're better off not taxing your digestive tract too much. Anyway, just my opinion.

Keep asking your questions. Take care.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register