Toilet Extension??? Will I need one?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Toilet Extension??? Will I need one?? Toilet Extension??? Will I need one??

Unread 04-13-2002, 04:17 AM
Toilet Extension??? Will I need one??

Hi Ladies, I have a question when we ordered my hospital bed table the man at the medical supply store suggested a toilet extension that clamps onto toilet. I have my bathroom so it isn't a problem to let it on all the time, it won't interfere with DH and company using bathroom BUT will I really need to use one of these?? I haven't really seen anything posted about this ..
My DH said to get it, he thought it is better to have if I need then to get home and then wish I had one.
Also is there something that I will need such as a wedge?? Or will lots of pillows be okay??

Just another nervous

Thanks soo much to all of you great sisters!!!
s to everyone
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 04:44 AM

Personally I didn't need a toilet extension and I think if anything it would have thrown me off balance even more because the top of the toilet would have been higher than I was used to it being, if you know what I mean. But on the other hand I could see where some women might find it helpful. So I guess it's a matter of deciding if you want to have it around in case you need it.
I was ok with lots of pillows but there were times I seemed to struggle to get them "just right". My dh bought me a big cushiony/pillow thing with arms that is supposed to prop you up in bed but I didn't like it -- it's hard as a rock (the dog thinks it makes a great bed for her, though! ). I usually sleep with 2 pillows anyway and when I wanted to prop up a little bit and watch TV or whatever during recovery I added a third pillow and I was fine.
Good luck with your surgery -- sounds like you're doing a great job getting prepared!
Ann
Unread 04-13-2002, 05:38 AM

I found that I didn't having any problem using the bathroom when I got home and that there was no need for a toilet extension (I also had a tah/bso). Although I moved somewhat slowly the first couple of days after getting home I did not need any assistance although my dh was always nearby.

The bed table is a good idea - we set up my computer on a small table beside the bed, my husband borrowed a 'tray table' to use on the bed. Although I spent a lot of the first week resting I found I would get up for meals.

The main tip that I can offer is pillows, pillows and more pillows. Had them piled up on the bed and could use them to support whatever position I wanted. Even three weeks out they're still there.

All the best, you'll feel so good once the surgery is over - the wait is the worst.

Best wishes,
Debbie
tah/bso 3/22/2002
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 06:21 AM
I'd Recommend Hand Rails There

I desperately wished I'd had the old hand rails my mother had to help her up and down off the toilet for about the first week. It wasn't an extension--just rails that worked around and helped raising/lowering. I had bowel work too for cancer and maybe it was how/where I was cut, but a couple times it was so bad I just let out a scream. I used one hand on the sink and one on the windowsill (the only time I've been glad the toilet is where it is) for up and down. I'd say GET THEM. Better to have rails and NOT need them! Also, will you use the table to help you in/out of bed? I desperately needed that too and it was a big struggle for me. If you have someone to help (I was all alone in the house) you may not need so much in the way of assistive devices.
Unread 04-13-2002, 08:35 AM
might be helpful

I've been away from the boards awhile, but just checked in. I had a TAH/BSO in October 2000. I never thought about a toilet extension, but I do think it might have helped me -- at least the first week. My incision was VERY low -- below my hair line -- and I had staples. When I sat on the toilet, my legs were at such an angle that the staples touched my legs (I'm not overweight). I found that very uncomfortable and found myself adopting strange postures to avoid it. An extension might have made that easier. (I also had the common constipation problem for a little while, so I spent LOTS of time in the bathroom.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery!!! My hyst was the best thing I ever did!!
Cheryl
Unread 04-13-2002, 10:06 AM
HI

I was lucky in that I recovered at my 78 year old mother's home.
She has a raised toilet with a handrail. It was very helpful not to have to go down and get back up all the way as it would be from a normal toilet.
She also has electric beds with all the adjustments. it was great.
I have heard the wedges are very helpful for getting in and out of bed, especially the first week or two.
The grabber was really worth it too. Being short I will use it for the rest of life now that I have it.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register