April 23 is coming..trying to prepare any suggestions? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

April 23 is coming..trying to prepare any suggestions? April 23 is coming..trying to prepare any suggestions?

Unread 04-13-2002, 09:27 AM
April 23 is coming..trying to prepare any suggestions?

anyone have any good reading material recommendations... books I mean... I have plenty of magazines ready... any other info, help, suggestions for the stay and after would be appreciated.
Oh one other thing... I am off to buy clear liquids... can only have them the day before....this while taking go litely, so can sometime tell me does that new white cranberry qualify for clear liquids and how about bottled ice tea?any other ideas?
I am off to buy the rest of my 'stuff' for the castle stay.
I am a little distraught this morning... my ear still hurts even though doc says it isn't infected any longer.... and this morning our dog who also has an ear infection can't seem to hear us... we think he has lost some if not all of his hearing.... :>(
I cannot wait until I am home for a month and all this is behind me. it seems like its been looming over my life forever.....
thanks for any info..
kara
tah/bso with hernia repair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 09:57 AM
Hi Karah

Your white cranberry juice is fine. The ice tea is okay to (atleast it was for me). I also did some popcicles with my go-lytley. Just stay away from heavy juices like orange or tomato. I think broth is okay too if you are really hungry. Check with your doctor though.
Make sure the go-lytly is real cold and drink it down fast. It is easier to get down when it is cold and you have better results when you drink it down quickly (atleast according to my nurse.) In otherwords don't sip it.
I would find some really "light" reading material. I just didn't want to do anything that took too much concentration for about a month after surgery. Mostly mag's and TV. So all the big reading and studying I was going to do is still waiting for me.
Good luck.
Unread 04-13-2002, 01:10 PM
April 23 is coming..trying to prepare any suggestions?

When we give a clear liquid diet to patients we tell them anything that in a liquid state you could see through. You don't need to be able to read the newpaper through it, just see through it. So, no milk, tomatoe juice, or such, and we tell patients no citrus. But we also tell them no caffinated drinks. So I would be cautious with the tea unless it is decaf.

Popcicles (but not the frozen fruit, the old fashion popcicles), jello either chilled or liquid, white grape juice. Koolaide, crystal light, gator aide, broth is fine.

About a yr and a half agao my dog Flirt lost her hearing. Fortunatlly she had learned some hand signals for different commands and did ok until I lost her to a totally unrelated cancer about 6 months later(she had already had two other cancers removed) . Dogs do adjust to changes very well. If it is permanent just be patient and show him around to indicate what you want him to do. If you have tile or wook floors be sure to walk heavily so he can find you or can feel you coming. A pot or pan with a wooden spoon can give off enough vibrations to get their attention. It is important to try and get their attention before you touch or wake them to not startle them Hopefully it is just an infection or a plugged ear and it will go away.

Good luck Let us know how you do, and how your dog is!

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Karah

so here we are 10 days out......oh my!! I go up and down by the minute now. I have finally bought some comfy clothes. Very cute at old navy. Hooded jackets with lightweight pants that stretch and have drawstrings. They are young looking, but hey I like them and I wont look like I am wearing my Grans clothes this way.
I have done most of my shopping except my RX for antibiotics that I start three days pre op. Figure this time next week I will be an absolute loon I am hoping that eventually the calm will set in and I will be certain of my survival through this operation. Get that feeling I will never do this again...oh I am sure you understand. Having horrible back pains which I am sure are do to anxiety and tensing up all the time. My boss says I am preoccupied......DAH!!!! I keep picturing what they will be doing....good heavens. Well just think in two weeks we will both be home from the castle the Good Lord Willing and be on the road to recovery. I keep focusing on that now. And then two weeks after that we will be out walking in our neighborhoods and visiting again. Looking forward to chatting with you on the post op board as soon as I am able.....

God Bless
Cindy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register