HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

I can't go to the bathroom I can't go to the bathroom

Unread 04-13-2002, 11:23 AM
I can't go to the bathroom

Please somebody tell me what to do, I had surgery 5 days ago and I haven't had a bowel movement since. I am swollen and tender. I have tried suppository, all bran, wheat chex, wheat bread, coffee, hot water, everything I can think of.
It is Saturday and of course I won't be able to talk to the Dr.until Monday. I am getting pretty uncomfortable.
Thank you to anybody that will help me.
Please email me at cpetrofes@yahoo.com
Thank you loads
Unread 04-13-2002, 12:41 PM

OHHHH that doesnt feel good.... I would call you doc office and speak to someone "on call" and get some info from them. There is always someone to do call backs I think....

Are you on a stool softener?

Please call and get some help You will feel so much better

God Bless,
Unread 04-13-2002, 01:09 PM

Until you can hear from the doctor (Make sure to ask about using a stool softener, they can help a lot) try some prune juice. Many ladies report lots of help from using it. Also, if you warm it up (yea, I know, Yuck) it seems to have an added benefit. Try this until you talk to the doctor. Take care!
Unread 04-13-2002, 01:47 PM

I had that problem yesterday. I was taking a stool softener every am and pm, eating high fiber ceral and drinking water, water, water. I had my DH bring home prune juice and drank about 4 ounces. I was having really really bad gas pains. I kept walking and bending (at the knee) and walking and finally after some horrific gas started to pass, I was able to go. AND THEN........ go and go. I'm a new woman today. Keep walking and drinking and let the gas fly if you can. It too shall pass!

Donna
Unread 04-13-2002, 02:53 PM

Hi,

I am two weeks post op, my doctor suggested an over the counter stool softner called Colace. You can pick it up at any drugstore. It has helped make things a bit more comfortable for me!!

Hope this helps get things moving!!! Take Care!
Unread 04-13-2002, 04:25 PM

Hey
I had this problem majorly for about 4 weeks. I stopped all pain meds and went to only Aleve, and began drinking Metamucil daily, and it helped. It took it a while before it regulated, but I am still taking it at 10+weeks post op. It really doesn't taste bad, get the orange flavored.
Good luck!!!
Unread 04-13-2002, 04:30 PM

Oh how I sympathise, I had the same problem bothe after a C section with youngest DD and with the hyster.

All I can say is keep hanging in there with the fibre, stool softeners etc. My doc said it was OK to use a laxative or suppositories just to get things moving - but wait until you speak to yours.

After the first couple of BMs I have been fine and haven't had to use anything other than prunes and fluid!!

You'll feel sooooo much better soon.

Diana
Unread 04-13-2002, 04:43 PM

My body did the same thing. I had my surgery on Tuesday and didn't have a BM until Sunday night. Everything came out soft and really slow, uncomfortable but not painful. I didn't take anything pill wise but I did eat raisin bran for breakfast Fri, Sat, and Sun. I drink a gallon of water every day and walk often. Keep moving, drink lots and call your doctor whenever you need to. It's his job to keep you comfortable with what's happening with your body.
Good wishes
Ruth
Unread 04-13-2002, 05:48 PM

Jmpclp hey hon
my nurse in the castle gave me some warm prune juice and it worked I have not had any problems going
I drank about 4 oz of warmed prune juice and by the next moring I started going
I drink about 2 to 4 oz once aweek just to make sure everything is moving just fine
I am now just over 3 weeks post op and I have never had a problem going

just hold your nose and it down your body will love you for it and oh what a relive it is
chase it down with water or your fav drink
it will help and it's all natrual
hope everything comes out all right
Unread 04-15-2002, 11:47 PM

Oh what a miserable feeling not to be able to go to the bathroom.

I found myself in the emergency room at 6:30 a.m. on Sat., April 13 after several days of suggested home remedies (stool softners, glycerin suppositories, fleet enemas) you name it--I did it to no avail.

Reason: After a very uncomfortable rectal exam and X-rays, the ER doctor indicated that I had no stools to pass. What I was experiencing was gastritis--extremely painful to the point that it was in my throat. The ER doctor gave me a concotion of malox mixed with other things that I can't recall that immediately numbed the sensation and he instructed me to move around more and increase the fluids. I did a lot of walking around the house after the visit and begin to pass lots of gas. WHAT A RELIEF.

However, one of my reason for not eating much is that even the smallest portion gives me a sensation of having to make a bowel movement. Has anyone else experienced this? In addition, my appetite is just not back to normal yet.

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.