Oh No, I think I am getting sick! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh No, I think I am getting sick! Oh No, I think I am getting sick!

Unread 04-13-2002, 10:39 AM
Oh No, I think I am getting sick!

I am so upset, I think I am getting sick! Gosh, I have a sore throat and feel icky, my Hubby has the flu as do my Nieces & nephews! I am so scared they will cancell my surgery, it is not until the 23rd, my pre-op is on the 18th, I know I can;t take anything over the counter, does any one know what I can do? it is Sat. my Drs. are both not in of course!! I know this is silly to get so upset, my nerves are shot and now this! Thanks for letting me rant & rave! Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 10:45 AM

So sorry to hear you are feeling sick...my doctor said I could take tylenol products, just not aspirin, IB Profin, or herbal products. Maybe tylenol cold or flu may help? My surgery is Tuesday and I have tried my hardest to avoid all sickie's but it would be hard if they were my family members! Hope everything works out for you!
Unread 04-13-2002, 11:18 AM

I had the same problem only I got sick last weekend (the weekend before surgery). Surg was Tues, 4/9. I woke up on Sat with a sore throat and lots of sinus drainage. I took some Sudafed and drank lots of OJ and sucked on those Vit C Drops. I also got lots of rest. Since I wasn't running a temp, they proceeded with surgery. Actually I think it helped because I was more or less forced to cough post op. The nurses were soooo proud of how much coughing I was doing. Believe me coughing is the last thing you want to do post op.

Hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 11:19 AM

Even though they aren't in the office, someone should be on call who could answer your question about what you could take to ease the symptoms. Usually, Tylenol (acetominophen) is pretty safe to take before surgery since it doesn't cause the blood to thin like Motrin, aspirin, or other forms of antiinflammatories can.

Since your surgery is still a little while off, hopefully you will be much better by then. As long as you aren't running a fever and your chest is clear and there's no infection on your surgery date, you should be ok.

Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 04-13-2002, 12:27 PM
Me, too...

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. I understand your concern because I've read here that ladies shouldn't take some kinds of medicines and herbs up to two weeks before surgery.

I just came back from our local "urgent care" facility. It's a really neat place if you've got something that needs looked into and you don't feel like waiting to get scheduled w/regular dr, etc. Anyway, my regular family physician runs this urgent care. I knew I had a sinus infection. Am glad I went in. Also had fluid in ears, a yuckky throat, and a temp. Anyway, I was sure to question any medicines they might give because of my 4/29 surgery.

I did hesitate a little to go in, but I thought 4/29 is still a ways away, plus I didn't want the sinus infection to get any worse. Besides, I felt pretty bad. By getting this taken care of now, I'm thinking maybe I made the situation a little better.

Hope you feel soon.

s

P.S. I'm also trying to stay away from "sickies" in these days prior, but...I teach 1st graders and they sure have a lot of runny noses!!
Unread 04-13-2002, 09:12 PM
APB out for all "sickies"

You know, there must be some sort of connection between having surgery and getting sick right before.

Darned if my boyfriend didn't have a cold a couple of weeks before I was scheduled to have surgery and wouldn't you know it -- I caught a little of his cold while trying to help cure him so I wouldn't get it.

Oh well, the connection is there and very real !!!!

Paula
Unread 04-17-2002, 05:57 AM
a cold

I to have come down with a nasty cold. I ended up babysitting for school vacation, and my only request was, if the child was sick, don't bring her, well guess what, she was really sick and he brought her anyways. Now I have it bad. I too am concerned that surgery will be cancelled and I am so upset. When I get a cold, it turns on the broncitis, sits in my chest, so breathing is hard and its sticks up in my head as well. I guess I shall call the doc and see what to do, I am nervous to because I don't want it rescheduled.

I am so angry at this person who brought me the sick child as he knew I was going in for surgery.

Sorry to be venting ( I usually don't do this) but I am REALLY upset over it.

Take care

My date is 4/29 as well
Unread 04-17-2002, 07:45 AM

Thanks to every one who gave me such good advice, I feel better today, except for my last period is here!! Such pain, just reminds me how bad I want it all out! Last week we ended up in the hospital because my DH was having chest pains! after all the tests and of course many hours later, he came out ok, just a deep infection, tomorrow is my pre-op and I am getting so nervous, I thought I was handling every think ok, until yesterday!
My daughter, who lives in Japan, is 13 weeks pregnant, well she called and she has a fibroid, now I have that too worry about! Ok enough, I probably am not making any sense, I am just rambling on! thanks for listening ! I feel sort of alone today, just nerves I guess! Thanks again for being such great friends!
Linda
Unread 04-17-2002, 10:23 AM

(((((Linda)))))))
I had a fibroid with my 2nd pregnancy. The dr didn't want to remove it when the baby was born because of the risk of losing too much blood at one time. (Had a C-section) Well, the next time I was checked after having the baby, the fibroid had disappeared. The dr said it was probably there to begin with because of hormones. It never reappeared and ds is almost 12 now. Hopefully, all will go well with dd & dgb (dear grandbaby) and her fibroid will do like mine.

s
Pam
Unread 04-17-2002, 10:56 AM

Pam , Thank you sooooooo much for telling me about your fibroid, and how good it all went for you. I will tell my Daughter as soon as I talk to her. With her being so far away it is so darn hard, I made one trip to Japan for a month when my Granddaughter had surgery, but don't think I will be making that long flight anytime soon. Just knowing about you and your beutiful child makes me feel so much better! thanks again, Linda

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register