Surgey is Monday...anyone on Monday only staying 23 hrs?????????? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgey is Monday...anyone on Monday only staying 23 hrs?????????? Surgey is Monday...anyone on Monday only staying 23 hrs??????????

Unread 04-13-2002, 11:54 AM
Surgey is Monday...anyone on Monday only staying 23 hrs??????????

I'm just wondering if anyone on Monday is just staying for the 23 hour "observation" ????????? Gosh I hate the fear of the unknown !!!!!!!! My mother could care less about what I'm going through.....My friend Deborah that's taking me and then having to leave after she finds out I'm ok told her parents about how my mother is acting and she said her parents might try and come see me.... My DS has gone to his dad's for the weekend and so I'm alone....trying hard to overlook these cramps(3rd day) of my LAST one !!!!
Happy one minute :cry: the next....???? I have NEVER felt this way before in my ENTIRE life...... It sure is different !!!!
I'm going to try and get busy....I just took my 1/2 tab of nerve med..... starting to pull it together......just feel lonesome....
SSSSSSS to all
Deborah LIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 11:57 AM
SURGERY......left out the other R !!!

Gosh my brain eludes me..... even at an IQ of 147 !!!!!!!!!!!!

Deborah
Unread 04-13-2002, 12:10 PM

Hi deborah,
so you are only staying 23 hours after you get out of OR, after you get out of recovery?? I thought my 2 day stay was going to be short... now tell me, heaven forbid, but what if you come up with a fever? Is this an insurance thing?
I do know what you are feeling about crying one minute, feeling okay about it the next. I thought I was over, oh my god, what if I die thing...then I pick up a copy of my permission papers and my eyes fall on the sentence under risks, yada yada...."even loss of life" oh my god, do they haver to put that on there !!!.
I keep imagining that my surgeon will cancel again... I'm calling the office on monday to make sure its still a go for the 23rd...
just think on that day you will be well on your way to recovery and posting how the waiting was the worst part.
take good care,
kara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 12:13 PM

Hi, Deborah,

I had a TVH/BSO, and was approved by my insurance company for "23 hour observation." I ended up staying in the hospital for about 24 hours, and I was happy to be discharged. The hospital was noisy, and I couldn't sleep there. I also have "hospitalitis" because I was an RN for 20 years.

However, if I had needed to stay longer, it would not have been a problem. The insurance company would have OK'd a longer stay, if my doctor had felt it to be necessary.

May I make a suggestion? I was very anxious right before my surgery, too. I decided to make those last few days as a LIW my "be nice to me" days. I spent them doing things that made me feel happy and peaceful. For me, that meant taking walks among the natural beauty surrounding me, listening to uplifting music, enjoying candles, flowers, warm baths, my favorite foods, etc. Some ladies have spent time at day spas, done fun shopping, etc.

What would help you to feel more relaxed and peaceful? Think about it, and then enjoy.

We're here for you, Deborah. You have lots of Hystersisters with you. You're not alone.

Sending healing hugs,
Helen
Unread 04-13-2002, 12:22 PM
i wasnt even in hospt that long!

hi
i had a tvh on april 8th at 8AM...was out of surgery in only a half hour or so i am told and at 9:30 AM met my family in the hall on the way out of recovery into my hospital room. not only was i in less pain post op but i felt good. AND just as my dr said i was home by 8 PM the same night. guess the 8's were my lucky number that day!! I did well at home and while i could have stayed... my dr and the nurses said that most of her patients with vaginals are discharged the same day. isnt an insurance issue as i am still charged the one day had i stayed overnight or not. i think had the bathroom situation in the castle been different i might have considered staying. but whenever i needed to get up to GO.... the nurses hadnt yet been to change the caps full of my roommates voiding and i had to wait. the same would happen for her and she was up all the time/ she also was in extreme pain which wasnt determined and wasnt related to female problems. while she was a nice woman it wasnt a relaxing environment and i was glad to go home to pee when i needed to!!
i have done well and think that IF your doctor feels you are ready i would think you would be, i know no one could believe i could be discharged so early but i have a top notch surgeon and now i feel better knowing if she said i could it was OK and sure enough it has been.
i think my biggest concerns now are gassiness of which i always have had troubles but my tummy is smaller now than pre op and my discomfort is too. yes i am tired and sore and not doing much and wont be, but GOOD LUCK and i almost feel guilty i am doing as well as i am but i aM a happy princess.
janice

TVH .i really need to do a sig rather than type this out each time. lol anyhow lotsa stuff.. all behind me now i HOPE
Unread 04-13-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks sisters....

I have on a cd Eva Cassidy.....what a wonderful world.....moving my bedroom around, and deeeeeeep cleaning, burning my lavender candle trying to keep a level head....the feelings just come and go....... I was alright until a sister said she felt sorry for me becaasue I wasn't staying but 23 hours and had no one to care for me at home.... But, I'l be ok I'm making it as easy on myself to have everything nearby in my bedroom.
I too don't rest well in hospitals....I just hope I don't sound like a babbling fool on here !!!!! This is so NOT like me !!! I type sometimes read it and delete it and walk away from the computer!!!
Well back to the mess I've created !!!!
Love to all and THANKS ! I'll pamper myself later with an aroma therapy long hot bath...ahhhhhhhh w/ candles all by myself in tranquil peace.....thanks ladies !!! Sure helps to hear from the other side !!! I pray all of the post-op ladies are healing and recovering stressfree and quickly.
LIW Deborah
PS One day I'll look back and LAUGH at myself I know and wonder why I worried sooooooo much !
Unread 04-13-2002, 12:52 PM
the caregiver being the caregivee

i too had the ok to stay if i needed or if it went abdominal also. but even then my dr thought i would be home the next day, as for fevers or complications i was told pre op all to be on the lookout for and given all my rxs for pain meds or sleeping pills then to avoid last minute needs and my discharge went smooth. i was told what signs to look for and to call for ANY questions or concerns. i have a disabled spouse and a 16 year old and had a friend offer to stay with us for a week. i am SO glad she is heremostly for meals and cleanup but i havent needed anything in regards to medical assistance etc or nursing kind of care. i am concerned about her leaving today but am able to do small things fine and i too made things close to the bed and i keep meds and water and some munchies by the bed to have mid of the night if i need meds . my pain is more crampy and even getting out of bed wasnt a problem by the time i left the hospital. they wont discharge u if u arent urinating or eating or sick to your stomach so if u are "fit" to be released u should be fine. i wish u well .
i too began doubting the speed of being discharged but i also know my doctor's reputation and knew if i had concerns she is only a phone call away ....
i too was a wreck but i think we arent alone in this and truly the worst part WAS the waiting. it really was true for me too.
janice
Unread 04-13-2002, 01:10 PM

My PPO approved two (2) nights. TVH here.

I've a few more items to get ... water, juices, etc. I'm making a big batch of my chicken soup to freeze in portions to have handy for a quick bite.

Tonight my boyfriend and I will have our final evening together before surgery. We'll turn off the phone, play some Van Morrison and just be alone.

Tomorrow my daughter and mother will be by to spend Sunday night and take me to the hospital early Monday morning.

I'm ready.

I'm nervous

But, I'm ready
Unread 04-13-2002, 07:41 PM
Hello..my surgery is Monday &

My doctor said I will be admitted for more than 24 hrs.I'm having a LAVH.He said I will probably be staying for at least 2 days.I know exactly what you mean about your emotions making you feel very different.Fine one minute & balling the next.I've been going through that all month.My Dr. finally prescribed valuim only when I really need to take it.The stress & anxiety really takes a toll on us emotionally & physically.I was experinecing really bad chest pains ,shortness of breath,couldn't eat or sleep.I thought I was losing my mind.Because normally I'm a very strong person..can take just about anything.But ,with my hyst getting closer & closer.I couldn't control how I was feeling.
The ladies here helped me more than they will ever know.I wish you the very best !
Unread 04-13-2002, 10:21 PM

I had my TVH 2/19..surgery at noon, out of recovery room by 2:10..felt pretty drugged up the first day and nite..I had the morphine pump..Dr removed the packing the next morning and then the cathedar came out and I was up walking and going potty..I was approved for two nites with more if needed, but by the time my dr came in on 2/2o to check me out I asked if I could go home and did..I felt good and able to sleep better in my own bed.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register