Which cut to have?V or A | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Which cut to have?V or A Which cut to have?V or A

Unread 04-13-2002, 12:22 PM
Which cut to have?V or A

Hi,
Could anyone please tell me which they think is the best and the easiest to get over a TAH or a TVH?
My Doctor says she will decide at the pre op appointment, but I would like to hear from you ladies who have had experiance to decide which one I would like to push for.
I need to get back to work ASP as money will be streched beyond its limits, I do not know if one is better than the other as regards healing, but even so I still wish to know the pros and cons of both procedures.

Please help, 11 days to go, lots of mixed emotions and some panic setting in. The above being just one of a long long list of panics.

JuneT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 12:31 PM
Hi June

Please try to relax a bit. I know it is hard. This is a scary time with lot's of decisions. We are here for you.
From everything I have read it appears the TVH is usually faster to recover from.
However your doctor will really need to decide. The decision is usually made based on all of the medical reasons you are having the surgery in the first place. Sometimes it is just not possible to do the hysterectomy safely through the vagina. Please discuss this in detail with your doctor during your pre-op. You can always go for a second opinion if you are not satisfied with your doctor's reasons.
I had the abdominal and was able to have the horizontal incision vs. the vertical. I think the healing time from that is a bit faster as well. My incision was 6" and I just had 8 staples.
Let us know what you find out.
In the meantime keep reading and posting.
Unread 04-13-2002, 12:32 PM
Which cut to have?V or A

Hi June!

I don't have anything to compare it to, but I had a vertical incision and would choose vertical again, given a choice. There is some disagreement in that some say there is a difference in recovery time, and others say there is not.

In my opinion, it's not the incision that takes so long to heal; it's all the very invasive surgery inside. I read a post from a gal who thought she was getting an abdominal, ended up with vaginal, and when asking the DR how her post op instructions would change, was told, "no change - still 6 - 8 weeks initial recovery time".

Sorry I can't really help you decide; I can only share my personal experience and opinion - I truly believe that one cannot be compared to another in terms of which is "better" -- it's got to depend on you, your reason for the surgery in the first place, and your DR's recommendations for you, for your own unique reasons.

Best wishes, sweetie - we're with you!

(((((((((HUGS)))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 12:36 PM
i had TVH

hi
i had a tvh but it wasnt known for sure if she would have had to do an abdominal if i had alot of scar tissue from a past myomectomy. from all i have heard or read if u CAN have a vaginal the healing is a bit easier.
not to say either is a piece of cake but having had a TVH only less than a week ago on the 8th and reading some of my sisters post op stories even from the same day i can only assume my recovery may be a bit easier being it was vaginal. i think complications will and do happen with both and its important to not do too much even with an easy recovery which IS hard to remember if not feeling too sore or wiped out. but by all means i think many would agree a vaginal is preferred IF it is determined by your surgeon. i didnt know til post op what mine ended up to be but was relieved it ended up being vaginal. i asked my gyn how many internal stitches i had tho and she started to laugh telling me she doesnt count. says its like sewing up a hem she just sews and sews unlike a wound so i assume it was hundreds of stitches??
take care and GOOD luck. i had gotten guided imagery tapes i listened to the week prior to surgery and i was a wreck believe me....it helped me focus on the surgical procedure itself and have faith in the medical team and in higher powers that this IS done often and we are in good hands. i kept those words in mind and focused on relaxing as best i could. hard but it helped

jandrie

tvh april 8th lotsa fibroids, severe bleeding and cramping, anemia. clotting and pain , (now gone YEAH) and adeno
Unread 04-13-2002, 05:13 PM
Which cut to have?V or A

Hi,
I had a TAH with a horizontal insicion. It was much easier FOR ME to recover than from a vertical insicion. I had a tubal done with a vertical along with one child born that way. I have had one child born from a horizontal incision as well.

Recovery takes at least 6 weeks, I'm at that point now. I feel really good, but I get tired in the afternoon. Please, please, don't push yourself to go back to work before the doctor says it's okay. You only have one chance to heal!

and it will be okay, we are here for you!!

Sara
Unread 04-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Which cut to have?V or A

I had an LAVH (lap-assisted TVH) and am recovering well. There's also a LSH -- laparoscopic supercervical hysterectomy -- in which they actually remove everything laparoscopically. I think that has the fastest healing time of all, but not all docs do it. Also, I think you have to keep your cervix that way.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-13-2002, 10:43 PM
Which cut to have?V or A

Hi...you didn't mention what your surgery was to fix which makes a big difference in what kind of surgery your DR will do. Also some Drs prefer certain surgeries or are trained for certain surgeries. I had an abdominal hyst, not because I wanted one, but because my uterus was so enlarged it necessitated one. In fact, once he got in there, the incision had to made even longer. Even though recoveries are different for every person, most Drs will tell you that the ab hyst requires the longest recovery time. If I could have avoided the ab hyst, I would have. Hands down. Good luck.
Unread 04-14-2002, 02:56 AM
Which cut to have?V or A

Hi

TAH/BSO almost 11 weeks ago. I was feeling good around the 4 week mark but DR's orders were no working until 6 weeks. There is a lot of healing going on inside, no matter which type of surgery is performed. It is so easy to overdo when you're feeling good, and a setback is definitely not in your best interests.

The big thing to remember with either type is not to lift using your abdominal muscles. the only way you know you did something wrong is by the PAIN.

There is also the fatigue factor after major surgery. Even around 6-8 weeks I still needed a rest in the afternoon.

Your DR has to have the final say as to the type of surgery. A uterus that is enlarged by fibroids may be too big for a vag hyst. I had a "bikini" cut, my uterus was so large DR had a challenge with it.

Talk with your DR at your pre op apt. If you're not satisfied with the answers get a second, or third opinion.

The following is from a site called The Pelvic Floor. This site shows pictures from actual surgeries:
"It has to be made clear that the smallest or most inconspicuous incision, is NOT always the best. Unfortunately I can't explain here why that is, but trust me, its true. Or better yet, don't trust me at all; ask your own doctor... "

Good luck
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:12 AM
Which cut to have?V or A

I agree with what others had to say about either way having lots of work done on the inside. And the route to take depends on the reason for the surgery and what all you're having done.

I had a LAVH, but found it took longer to feel better than when I had C-sections. The pain wasn't THAT bad...just more twinges, aches, pulling, etc. And I found that I felt more weak and tired much easier than with the other surgeries. One reason I think is because a hyst takes longer than a C-section, so there's more anesthesia used. Another is that no organs are actually removed during a section and there's not as much cutting or sutures as there is with a hyst.

My dr kept reminding me that it takes 6-8 weeks to feel better, but 3-4 months to be better. He gave me all the post-op instructions that I've heard so many with abdominal hysts being given. Some of mine were even stricter...go figure.
Unread 04-14-2002, 10:21 AM
Which cut to have?V or A

Hi to everyone,
Thankyou ALL for your help and advice , as usual all your comments are much appreciated.
Lots of love and best wishes to all

JuneT

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register