almost decided but still not 100% sure | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

almost decided but still not 100% sure almost decided but still not 100% sure

Unread 04-13-2002, 01:27 PM
almost decided but still not 100% sure

I'm new and have never done this but here goes. My dr recommended a VH(?) the other day to me. No problems per say just extremely heavy periods my whole life. I'm on bc but still have heavy flow and last about 10 days. From what I've read so far from the other messages this heavy flow is like the others that have had lots of problems but mine has always been like this. It's normal for me but I hate it. I feel like I'm missing out on a "normal life". I'm 46 and don't need the organ anymore so should I or shouldn't I. He said that the ovaries would probably stay. He didn't say anything about the cervix. I didn't ask any questions at the time because I was in shock that he would offer this to me. It has been my dream for years but he never seemed to be interested before. I have been with him for 8 yrs so he knows my system pretty well. I would appreciate some feedback.
Do it and why or don't do it and why.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 01:40 PM
Did he give you a reason for his change of heart

I would ask more questions?? I dont feel I have a choice as I bleed very heavily (40 super plus tampons and pads 2 days) and my uterus has attached itself to my tush....if I leave it go I feel I may end up in a worse situation. If you feel comfortable with your situation and there is not a significant reason to do it, take your time with the decision. Its not an easy one to make and shouldnt be made lightly.

Stay in touch here and feel free to ask away the princesses are very knowlegdable and will help all they can.

I can sympathize with the bleeding issue....I hate it!!!!! nothing worse than haveing to check your chair every 10 minutes or so. And I too have had this all my life....bummer.

I cant wait to be period free.....

Cindy
Unread 04-13-2002, 01:53 PM

Hi, dcm,

Did your doctor give you a reason for the heavy bleeding? Here are some links to information about heavy vaginal bleeding:

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/uterinebleeding#11

http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/1680.50336

http://my.webmd.com/content/dmk/dmk_article_40060

For any woman who's considering a hysterectomy, I'd advise getting at least two medical opinions.

As you may be aware, hysterectomy is major surgery. Initial recovery from a hysterecomy requires six to eight weeks of resting and healing, while complete recovery takes six months to a year. Some women experience complications.

If you'd like information about other options, please visit the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives, where I'm a Hostess. Here's a link to that forum:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/for...p?s=&forumid=4

Good luck with your decision.

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 06:32 PM
Still deciding too!

Hi DCM!
This reply turned out to be longer than I planned! (sorry)

I wanted to reach out to you because I am in somewhat of the same dilema! I do not have the wisdom that he rest of the ladies here and I probably will not be able to help you decide but, I wanted to let you know you are not alone!!

I am going to be 46 in July and although I did not have heavy bleding all my life, I started to bleed heavy and have terrible clotting right after I had a tubal ligation. The dr is suspecting Post Tubal Snydrome and adenomyosis as the cause. The dr recommended a hyst but I had a thermal abltion in July of 2000 to help stop the clotting and heavy bleeding (not ready for major surgery). At the time, they could not see any medical reason for the terrible bleeding (no fibroids or endo).

Now gradually my periods are getting heavier and I have terrible cramping and difficulty passing blood. Seems to flood all at once! I had an MRI a week ago which showed some small fibroids and some thickening of the uterine wall.

I too wish to improve my "quality of life" so I will not feel sick all the time, but it is a difficult thing to decide on hysterectomy. I think sometimes that if my MRI showed BIG fibroids, or endo, the decision would be easier!

All of the post-op ladies here are very helpful and supportive. You are in the right place! Many of the ladies have told me that this is a BIG decision but it must be MY decision!! They are right! I am staring to think, if at 46 we only have 5 or 6 six years until menopause, don't we want them to be fun and painfree?!!!

In the meantime, do plenty of research and try all the web links that Helen sent you, they will help you!!!

Keep in touch,
another hopeful LIW!!
Unread 04-13-2002, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. I have read the recommended links for alternatives but they don't seem to fit me. I did find a name for what I have though. I do like this site alot. I read for two days before getting up the nerve to try it. I'm still thinking about it and as time isn't as important I hope to make the right one.
Unread 04-14-2002, 12:18 AM

Hi DCM,

I can certainly empathize with you. I have endo, adenomyosis, fibroids and cysts but not the heavy and prolonged bleeding problems you have. I changed my mind every day for a least six months about whether or not to have a hysterectomy. Now that I have decided to go for it and have actually set a date (may 28th, a day after my 44th birthday) I feel so much better. I'm not saying you should decide in favor of a hysterectomy but I think once you make some decision you will feel better. Take your time and do a lot of research and talk to a lot of people.

All the best, Donna
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:05 AM

hi dcm,
you need to get another opinion and do research and then make an informed decision that is best for you. i had a supracervical hyst on 3/18/02- that is a horizontal incision- and only my uterus was taken- i kept my cervix and ovaries because there wasn't anything wrong with them. i had also read some info about keeping the cervix if you can because of sexual pleasure- but i also talked to women who lost their cervix and kept it and there didn't seem to be too much difference as far as sex was concerned.i had a history of adenomyosis -lots of pain and bleeding- final straw was i got my period on 12/10 and it continued heavy until 2/13- went away for 4 days and came back heavy right up to the surgery- i was tired in pain and i had had it!i am now pain free for the first time in i can't even remember-down side of keeping cervix- i may have a mini period that's light- i'll know soon- if i don't get it i'm home free- but it will be nothing like before if i do. do your research- make a decision that's right for you- good luck-batgirl
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:14 AM

dcm,
Welcome to hystersisters...I do know where your coming from...I have always had irregular periods, ever since I can remember...but just over the past 3-4 years have they become very heavy with clotting...I let it go for a long time because the one doctor I did talk to about it said it was all normal for my age (27-28 at the time)...I finally found a very caring nurse that told me this was not normal...had an endometrial biopsy...came back normal, had an ultrasound...showed nothing, and then a laporoscopy...by this time I was feeling like maybe it was normal and I needed to deal with it....the lap showed a very enlarged and boggy uterus which they feel is adenomyosis...did your doc say what he thinks is causing your problems? This decision is a very hard one to make and only YOU can make it...I suggest doing a lot more research and setting up another appt to talk to your doc with all your questions, maybe even getting a second opinion. The decision for me was very easy and I am very happy about this surgery...although I am only 31 and have only one child, that is fine with me! I just want a normal life again, without the bleeding and pain! You are in my thoughts and prayers and keep us posted on your decision!
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:37 AM

If you have a VH you will lose the cervix. I don't miss mine one bit and there is no worry of any mini-periods. Sex is so much better because there is no more bleeding or pain. I also kept my ovaries so I don't need HRT
Unread 04-14-2002, 07:59 AM

My situation was very similiar to yours. I have had heavy periods all my life - with clots too. I will be 46 soon. I am 5 wks. post op my hyst. (TAH/BSO). Other than the heavy bleeding, I did not have pain or anything else. It was so called "normal" for me. The final straw was - when for the first time = I bled thru my clothes onto a couch. This was about 3 months ago. That's when I picked up the phone and made my appt. Like you - I had talked about a hyst. for at least 5 years with my dr. I did have fibroids.
When the dr. got inside - he also found endo. and adenomyosis, and a polyp. All those things contributed to the heavy bleeding but were unseen with sonograms (both internal and external).
Anyway - I am thrilled that I had the surgery. I have my children and why go thru that bleeding and worry about running right thru pads for any longer than necessary? You may have some hidden problems with your uterus - that won't be found till surgery.
As said before - it's your decision and think it over. But...you don't have to have a whole list of horrible problems to feel like you are doing the right thing. Heavy bleeding is problem enough for some.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register