Birth control pills pre-op? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Birth control pills pre-op? Birth control pills pre-op?

Unread 04-13-2002, 02:31 PM
Birth control pills pre-op?

My doc has me taking birth control pills (Lo-Ovral) right up until my surgery to keep me from bleeding heavily. If I come off them I WILL start to flood. I had come off them on March 21st because of breakthrough bleeding, and had a VERY heavy period, the worst episodes (large clots and gushing) of which were on days 8 and 10 (even after I had started the pill again on day 8.) Now on day 24 I am still having brown spotting, so I am barely controlled at this point. My surgery date is April 22nd, which is only a little over a week away.

I am concerned about the possibility of throwing a clot and having a stroke or a pulmonary embolism. The only risk factor that I have is that I'm over 35. (I'm 46.) I've been taking BCP's for over 10 years now, and during the last year I've taken them for about two months straight at a time (skipping the placebos). I also had to double up on them in March for about 5 days to stop the heavy bleeding. My doc suggested putting me on Heparin as a precaution during the surgery if I was concerned, and said that it wouldn't cause more bleeding during or after the surgery. Is that right, and do you think I should request that?

If any of you have experienced with this issue could give me any input, I'd be very grateful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 05:13 PM

(((((Liz)))))

Hi sweetie! I'm so sorry you're having such terrible periods, soon that will be a thing in the past!

I too did the birth control pills prior to surgery. I tried 5 different types and ended up with the Lo-Orval. I understand the doubling up and not taking the placebo ones too, OH, the things we have to do huh?

I didn't have a problem with blood clots with the hyst....I'm 35, have been on bc pills since I was 19, overweight, AND smoke. I had those boot type things on my legs post-op to help with blood clots in the legs (I think that's a standard prodcedure thought).

As long as you trust your Dr, and I think you do, I would let that be his decision. Sorry for not giving you a 'for sure' answer, but I really don't think anyone can tell you what's best for you better than your Dr.

Please let us know how you are doing and what you've decised to choose to do. Many prayers are going out to you.

Love & Hugs
Unread 04-13-2002, 05:29 PM

I will be 46 years old in June. My doctor told me it is safe for me to take the bcp till the evening before surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 11:35 AM

Thanks Tina and Jerianne for replying!
Wow, Tina, you had a lot more risk factors than I do. I'm glad to hear everything went well for you. It makes me feel better that you had no problem with the BCP's. I probably won't need anything but the leg massage things, which I know they do use where I'm having my surgery. I'll go with my doctor's opinion when I see him at my pre-op on 4/18. I'm still undecided about a myomectomy or a hysterectomy, and I don't know if that would make a difference with the clot and/or Heparin issue. I certainly don't want to bleed more than necessary, especially if I do have a myomectomy. I am doing an autologus blood donation, just in case. My MRI on 4/17 will be the deciding factor in what surgery I have. It's hard being up in the air like this, but I'll know by the end of the week.

Jerianne, thanks very much for your input. It sounds like continuing the BCP's up until surgery is pretty standard. Yikes, you have A LOT more problems than I do! I'm keeping you in my prayers.
Unread 04-14-2002, 03:54 PM

Hi Liz!

Thanks for letting us know about your upcoming MRI. Have you checked out the "Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives" board? You might find some usefull info there about myomectomies, also if you do a search on myomectomies you can gather info from other sisters who have had that procedure done. You could also start a new thread in "The Polling Place" board to see what the ladies tell you about it too!

Oh what a Godsend this site has been for me. I wish you the same luck as you make your decision. Whatever that decision may be, we will be here for you every step of the way!

Good luck with the MRI and please let us know what it shows and what you've decided to do.

Love, &

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register