Pinkie questions: Pre-op exercises, stairs, epidurals, and HysterSister Store mercha | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pinkie questions:  Pre-op exercises, stairs, epidurals, and HysterSister Store mercha Pinkie questions: Pre-op exercises, stairs, epidurals, and HysterSister Store mercha

Unread 04-13-2002, 09:39 PM
Pinkie questions: Pre-op exercises, stairs, epidurals, and HysterSister Store mercha

1) Do any of you recommend “Pre-op exercises”? If so, what? I know that may sound like a strange question, but I’m thinking of anything to make my recovery as easy and quickly as possible. I’m trying very hard to be as physically prepared as possible!!! My contract assignment ends at the end of May. I don’t plan on returning to the work force till about two months after surgery (scheduled July 19th). There was one posting of someone (I wish I could find it again) who three weeks before entering the castle did nothing but walk, rest and drink plenty of water. I was considering getting back into my beginning yoga at the beginning of June, plus follow what she did.

2) I’ve read plenty of postings about stairs. But here’s my situation: I live in a tri-level house. You come in the front door and stand in the entryway. Go down five stairs, you’re in the family room, our office and bathroom (no shower or tub) and laundry area. Starting from the front door again, you go up six stairs into the kitchen, dining and living room area. Go up four more stairs: My bathroom, two spare bedrooms (which we hardly go in) master bedroom and bathroom. What do I do? At what point in recovery are stairs acceptable to move up and down? The way I feel now is grabbing some outfits ahead of time for at least a couple of days and living in the bottom part of the house, and doing sailor showers in the bathroom. This way I only have to go “down” four steps when I get home. However, the only problem I see with this idea is that it puts me in a bigger dependant mode than I had anticipated with DH and mom.

3) What info do ya’ll have about epidurals (both pro’s and cons)? At this time, the three of us (Gyn, mom and I) have decided on the following:
--Bikini incision
--Keep ovaries
--Epidural
The only reason I purpose the question is because in one of the postings I read one princess had spinal headaches due to an epidural.

4) Today, I received my HysterSister Store merchandise (Medium gray t-shirt, HysterSister book and journal). I showed DH the t-shirt and his response was “Your already papered.” I had to agree. As new sister of HysterSisters, I have to say that both books are done very well and bring up things no one would consider prior to castle entry (at least not me). As far as I’m concerned these are must read books for those of us ladies in waiting.

Take care,
Pinkie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Pinkie questions: Pre-op exercises, stairs, epidurals, and HysterSister Store mercha

I have heard that deep breathing excercises are helpful, especially if you are having a General.
I aslo saw another post that sugessted actuallygoing up small flights of stairs either backwards or sideways.
I know that may not be much help.....but keep asking these ladies...they are a wealth of information!
Myself I have been trying deep breathing for relaxation as well as walking about a mile or more per day, gets me in shape and eases the nerves!!
Best of luck to you!
Unread 04-14-2002, 03:21 AM

Hi Pinkie

It makes sense that improving your physical condition before surgery helps with recovery. And isn't walking supposed to be the best exercise there is? I also enjoy yoga, I'm definitely not a serious yogini though.

In a perfect world (but who lives in a perfect world) you should drink 6-8 8oz glasses of water everyday. You need to be well hydrated before surgery. It makes it easier to find a vein for iv's and any other meds you may need, they are nice and plump when you have lots of water in your system. If you retain fluid, as strange as this sounds, you need to drink more water so your tissues will figure out that they are going to get all they need and they don't need to hold on to any extra. You are far enough from surgery that making changes to your diet or exercise routine shouldn't be a problem (right before surgery ask your DR before making any dietary changes).

Stairs: every DR is different and you need to follow his/her post op instructions. I had no restrictions regarding stairs. For the first few times up or down I had DH on the down side just in case because I was still a little unsteady, but I never had any discomfort from it. It may depend on what you are having done. I "only" had a TAH/BSO with a bikini incision, maybe someone who has other repairs done, or endo removed, etc needs more restrictions.

Epidural: sorry can't help you there, I had a general.

HysterSister book and journal: great, I read the book cover to cover many times and wrote faithfully in my journal. The only thing I have to disagree with is the list of stuff to take to the "castle". Way, way, way more than you will need. Travel light is my motto!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 03:35 AM
Stairs

I also live in a tri-level house. Tried to do my recovery in the lower level (family room) but missed my bed too much!!

I found that if I took the stairs one at a time, going up one step and then bringing my other foot up to the same step, I could manage them just fine. I had a TAH, by the way.

I would suggest that you try to minimize your trips up and down stairs for at least the first two weeks.
Unread 04-14-2002, 06:55 AM

Hi Pinkie!

1) I think it's a very good idea to be in the best possible health prior to surgery. I agree with what the other ladies have said about the walking, yoga, hydration, etc. Another thing you may want to do are kegel exercises and any exercise to strengthen the abdominal or back muscles. Oh yeah....and the arms and legs too because you will be using them lots after surgery to avoid using the tummy.

2) Living in the bottom part of the house and doing "sailor showers" at first sounds like a great idea to me. You won't be doing anything to get dirty at first anyway, right? I've also read about the going up/down stairs backwards. I haven't tried it myself, but if it's easier on the tummy and your coordination is good enough that you won't fall, sounds good to me. Lol, I read someone saying they'd forget which way they were going when heading up & probably walk back down. Seriously, I would talk with the dr first about the stairs. Also, both feet on one step before taking the next is good too.

3) I had general anesthesia with my hyst. I had a spinal (with spinal headaches) and an epidural with my C-sections. I've been told that the chance of spinal headaches are less common these days. The other thing to consider with a spinal is that you will be numb from the waist down for a little while after surgery. Lots of people don't mind this, but some don't like the feeling. If you choose to have a local, you can also be given something to help you relax or even go to sleep during surgery.

4) I'm glad you've received your merchandise. No matter how pampered you were before, you deserve to be pampered even more once you're a princess.

Good luck with everything!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register