LAVH is the plan, but afraid it may be to difficult | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH is the plan, but afraid it may be to difficult LAVH is the plan, but afraid it may be to difficult

Unread 04-14-2002, 04:17 AM
LAVH is the plan, but afraid it may be to difficult

Hi there Ladies, Sure glad I found this site. I am very impressed with it.
My surgery is coming up real soon and I have some concerns. My Dr. wants to do a LAVH but is not completely sure she will be able to because...My uterus is tipped back and stuck. What i'm saying is she couldn't ever move my uterus during a pelvic exam. She believes there maybe endo. behind it and that is what is causing it not to move. Also, I do have a fibroid that is causing some problems but it is not much larger than a golf ball. I am afraid she may possibly need to make an abdominal incision and that means longer recovery. I was really hoping to be able to get back to work in 4 weeks. I go for my pre-op in about nine days but i was hoping to get some feed back before then. Is there anyone who may have experienced this or knows of anyone. Thank you for any feed back.

Yours, Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 06:35 AM

Hi Lori!

I didn't experience this, but I have read about many who have, believe it or not. Medicine has many wonderful diagnostic tools, but they can't tell us everything the DR will find once inside the operating room.

This plan is not as uncommon as you may think, and leaving it up to the DR's best judgement happens often, and ends up going either way for the best for you, the patient.

Try not to think about recovery time; it's my opinion that there is no way to tell how long you'll need to be home recovering, regardless of the method used, until you are actually home recovering. I think it's best not to make absolute time/date commitments until the time rolls around. This way you are not feeling pressured if you aren't up to meeting those commitments, and you can relax and focus on your well-being, healing and recovery.

I think you're smart to leave the door open, so to speak.

Wishing you the best, with big HUGS,
Unread 04-14-2002, 06:38 AM

Hi Lori & welcome to HysterSisters!

I hope that everything goes well for you. I haven't had an abdominal incision (except for the tiny ones with my hyst) since I had C-sections, but no matter which way you have your surgery, remember that there's lots of work done on the inside that will need to heal. Please don't try to rush your recovery either way.

Hopefully, someone who had an abdominal hyst will come along soon and can tell you more of what it was like for her. Some take shorter or longer to heal than others. It all depends on what their general health is to begin with, if they had to have extra repairs, how they took care of themselves afterwards, etc. On the positive side, I can tell you I've read lots of posts where it took them about the same amount of time to heal as the ones who had a LAVH.

s,
Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 09:49 AM

Hi Lori,

I'm due for surgery in June and I am in kind of the same situation that you are.

My DR is going to try to do my hyst vaginally but due to the fact that I have had a C-Sec she is not sure where the scar tissue has adhered itself to. If it adhered to the bladder this could cause problems. DR will be set up for an abdominal hyst, just in case.

The reason that DR is going to try to do the vaginal first is because when I had my C-Sec (I was not anemic, bleeding just runs in the family) I was 2 units away from a transfusion. She's trying to avoid a transfusion but I will have units of my own blood on hand, again, just in case.

I think you should check with your DR and find out why he prefers on procedure over the other.

Also, I have to agree with the others about making sure you get enough rest after you surgery. After reading your profile it's seems to me that a Self-Owned Cleaning Business is a lot of physical activity after major adominal surgery. I'm not sure what part of PA you're from, but I'm originally from NJ and now about that "Get Everything Done Yesterday" pace. Take care of yourself first.

s and

Rette

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register