Lupron Shots - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Lupron Shots

Hi

I also had a very large fibroid, about the size of a 20-week pregnancy, and very severe adenomyosis (which they couldn't really confirm till after surgery). I was so anemic from hemorrhaging that I had a blood transfusion in January, so I was also advised to have three Lupron injections before surgery.

As some of the other sisters have said, everyone is different. In my case, I ended up only taking two injections, because my bleeding actually never stopped. In fact, I had to have a second transfusion the day before surgery!! My blood count had dropped to almost where it was before the first one. ::sigh::

From what I have read, Lupron is most effective in the case of endo, the results are pretty iffy with fibroids. It's worth a try though. I had a few hot flashes, my moods were all over the place, well that had been happening already so who could tell the difference? I had some headaches. But the worst of it is it seems the fibroid actually got bigger, and like I said, the bleeding never stopped. So for me it didn't really have any benefit.

Let us know what you decide, and be sure to talk over all the potential side effects and benefits with your doc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2002, 04:01 AM
My Lupron Experience

Hi Hongwah--

Like you, I took Lupron to shrink fibroids. Only got through 3 months of an expected 5-6 month course of tx. I didn't experience any of the usually side effects (hot flashes, mood swings, etc.). Rather I experienced what the manufacturer reported as "very rare" side effect --ideopathic amnesia. That's the granddaddy of all memory loss. There is a period of time (from Wednesday morning to Sunday night) that I have absolutely no memory of! During that time, my hubby was out of town on a business trip and I had driven two hours each way to my doctor's appointment on Wednesday and attended a family reunion on Saturday! Don't remember a thing to this day. Reallly scarey! Hubby ended up taking me to emergency room when I woke up Sunday night and became very aggitated demanding to know who he was and why he was in bed with me!! Had a wonderful ER MD. When he didn't find enough in PDR to suit him, he contacted the manufacturer on Monday AM (I'd already been discharged) and got them to admit to the "rare side effect".

On the other hade, I've had a friend who had minimual side effects and it was effective enough for her, that fibroids shrunk enough that she was able to finally get pregnent.

So, the drug really does effect everyone differently. Just be very alert to your sypmtoms/side effects and don't hesitate to confront you MD.

My very best to you durning your treatment.

Beatrix
Unread 05-28-2002, 06:40 PM
Lupron Shots

I had 1 of 3 expected lupron shots. Within 2 weeks of the first shot I started experiencing anxiety and panic attacks, along with headaches, hot flashes and night sweats. I have lost about 10 pounds quickly and have had virtually no bleeding since the first shot. I know everyone says they react differently so this is just my experience.

I am tentatively scheduled for a TAH on 6/10/02 but am considering postponing until I get more information about the effects of surgical menopause and how hormone treatment will be handled.

Just a little anxious that the anxiety and depression will be as bad after surgery.

Aunt B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2002, 07:15 PM
Good Experience w/Lupron

I took monthly Lupron shots for 18 months because of severe endo. The only side effects I had, other than decreased pain, was mild hot flashes and a mild headache (like the one I would get the day before I would start). That's it...after 18 months. I agree though, everyone is different and will react differently to different drugs. My experience was wonderful on Lupron. It also made menopause not so scary...I know what to expect.

I have a friend who had fibroids and took 3 months of Lupron shots to shrink them. When they did her hysterectomy, they were basically gone. They started out huge and she was basically bleeding out for almost a month or more. The Lupron stopped the bleeding and shrank the fibroids. The only side effect she had was mild cramping the week after the shot.

Anyway, good luck to you. Here's a little prayer that all will go well.
Unread 05-28-2002, 07:17 PM
Lupron Shots

Hi! I had the first of what are supposed to be 2 Lupron shots 3 weeks ago. I was very anemic, and my gyn said it would stop the bleeding (large fibroid and VERY heavy and clotty bleeding). She said if I didn't have the shot I'd need a transfusion. It hasn't stopped completely, I'm still spotting and have only noticed what I would refer to as flushes ---- a bit warm, then cold.

I'm having more blood taken tomorrow to see if the Lupron is helping --- supposed to have another shot next week, with the TAV to follow after that.

I was a bit nervous about Lupron too, but hopefully it's helping! I went walking and exercised tonight after work for the first time in months!

Good luck!
Unread 05-28-2002, 07:41 PM
Lupron

Had 2 lupron shots to hold me to my surgery date 5/30. I was having heavy bleeding and needed to get things under control before surgery. No real problems. Some hot flashes, but I am always cold so it was not all that bad. Over all, glad I did it.
Unread 05-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Lupron Shots

Hi There,

I've been on Lupron for 8 months- it has worked out great for me. I had forgotten what it felt like to not have little guys with vise-wrenches in my abdomin!

It is VERY important to listen to your body- you can always stop if you have troubles. Doctors, surprisingly enough, don't always know alot about side effects. They started me on Depo-Provera- about 6 months into it I was suicidally depressed, barely able to move. I got on the web and found out that Depo-Provera can bring on serious depression, and can be dangerous for those prone to depression. The docs either didn't know, didn't care, or didn't mention it. Lupron hasn't had that effect for me.

The most important thing for me has been to not panic, try to inform myself, and listen to my body! I actually had one doctor (female!) that told me that pain and bleeding for 3 to 4 weeks out of the month were 'normal'!
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:28 AM
Update on my Lupron experience

Hi everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to response. I am into my 2nd month of the shot and surgery is on the 3rd July. I am experiencing more side effects now after the 2nd shot, severe headache, nausea, dizziness, hot flushes, memory loss, anxiety and insomia. My fibroid has not shrank by much and we are hoping that the 2nd shot will start to kick in soon and do the job. The worst of the side effect is the headache that would not quit and I am to see my GP tomorrow to see if he can help. My gyn said that it sounded like a migraine and it is not in his field of expertise to treat it. I don't think that he believes that its due to the shot ... but I just want to share this with other LIW's'.

I supposed depression also comes together with all this happenings and I was completely zoned out eversinced I got my surgery date. Could it be the Lupron or just the thought of the surgery??!! I swear that I could not remember most of the things that happened last week. Anyone felt like this before? The anxiety and the obsession with the hyst? The 2nd thoughts? Could I just pull out and not have it done? Do I really want to lose my uterus? Oh well...just me rambling off again.....
Unread 05-29-2002, 12:43 AM
LIW.....

Just wanted to say I'm new to this site, and just reading about everyone's experiences has "kinda' helped me w/ the jitters!!
Can anyone tell me how long the surgery was, and the length of your hosp. stay?? I'm almost scared to death to be honest...the bleeding is sooo heavy now and I've been on bed rest for almost 3 weeks...ANY insight would be appreciated!!
Missy
:SHRUG:
Unread 05-29-2002, 04:37 AM
Lupron Side Effects

I did some additional internet research on lupron and the side effects listed as common were hot flashes, emotional swings, reduced sexual drive, headache, nausea, memory loss, changes in the skin and hair, rapid heartbeat , vaginitis and weight changes.

I, too, have been trying to sort out whether the anxiety and depression are do to the lupron or to the upcoming hysterectomy. In my case, it feels as though the lupron has made it worse. But that just me.

Hang in there.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register