Over the counter medicines??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Over the counter medicines??? Over the counter medicines???

Unread 04-14-2002, 10:41 AM
Over the counter medicines???

I have been reading this board for awhile now and see that everyone says not to take any over the counter medications before their surgery. Why is that?

I take Excedrin PM's or Tylenol Pm's every night because I have trouble getting to sleep. I am scheduled for my surgery TAH on the 16th and go see my doctor and pre-register in the hospital in the morning.

I was just wondering since I haven't been told yet not to take anything before.

Thanks to everyone here...I would be a total nut case by now if it wasn't for this board.

Jan-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 10:48 AM

Hi, Janster36,

I'd advise you to ask your doctor about any over-the-counter meds before taking them, for several weeks before your surgery. You'll definitely want to avoid any medications with aspirin or ibuprofen, because they can interfere with normal blood clotting.

Here's a link to a list of herbs to avoid:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...?s=&forumid=23

I hope this helps you.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-14-2002, 10:55 AM

Hi Janster36,

My doctor and his staff and the pre-op nurse told me " Do Not take any ibuprofen, advid, motrin" It could prevent your blood from clotting.

I'm not sure about anything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-14-2002, 12:21 PM

I am having surgery April 16th (Tuesday!!!!) and I was told NO aspirin, IB Profin, or herbal products 2 weeks before surgery, it thins your blood! They said tylenol products are okay! And they did presicribe some Vicodin for the pain on my last period! Make sure to ask your doctor in the morning!!
Unread 04-14-2002, 12:38 PM
PANIC

OH MY GOSH.... yesterday I took some advil..... my surgery is the 23rd.... I am not going to sleep tonight until I can talk to my surgeon ... NO ONE at his office or at my primary who did my pre op physical this past tuesday told me that I could not take anything... the only thing I was told was not to take a decongestant... I wanted one for my ear pressure when it was infected... they said I could use afrin nasal spray for mo more than 3 days.... oh I WILL LOSE MY MIND IF THEY CANCLE... my surgeon is sooooo booked it would be the end of june before I got in.....
please pray it isn't the case..... I'd like ring my primary doctors neck... he was so cold and harsh when I went in for the pre op physical...UGH UGH UGH
Unread 04-14-2002, 03:06 PM
EXCEDRIN CONTAINS ASPIRIN!!!

Call your doctor about the Excedrin. Unless the bottle specifically says "Aspirin Free", it contains aspirin. Tylenol contains no aspirin.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register